2022 Apple iPhone Launch

The real impact of the 14 is going to be the 14 Max. For the first time Apple is launching a big phone without the Pro markup. Higher refresh rates, smaller notches, faster CPUs, they’re all well and good, but many people really do want bigass phones.

You’re certainly right, but the rumored price increase across the whole line may keep the 14 Max out of reach for a lot of people, unfortunately.

Anything bigger than my 12 would be too big for my pockets or really my hands. I sure hope all phones don’t get a case of gigantism. I mean, I already have an iPad Pro, I don’t need a phone that big!

The mini is gone, but the “normal” size will still be available.

Unfortunately I think that ship has sailed. The market for “small” phones (or normal-sized phones as I would classify them) must not be big enough for the majors to care about.

Apple gave it a shot, but the mini line just didn’t sell.

I don’t need a mini, just the size of the 12 I have is fine.

I believe the 14 and 14 Pro will be the same size, or at least virtually the same.

Yep, both will come in normal and max sizes.

So I just have to hope that by the time I need to upgrade (like, iPhone 16?) they still have that form factor available!

Oh the normal size is popular enough, I don’t see it being retired anytime soon. Similarly, phones can’t get any bigger unless our hands and pockets do, folding phones aside.

This was the rumored year for it to go portless. If that happens I will not be upgrading.

That seems unlikely. I think we would have gotten a leak if it were the case, and in fact the leaks we’re getting are that they are going to switch to USB-C next year.

It does seem unlikely, but 2 years ago when it was rumored that Apple’s goal was to go completely wireless, it was said this was the year they were hoping for.

I agree, that would definitely have leaked. I still think Apple is gonna do it, but probably not this year.

I wonder if the new-ish rule that the EU passed saying all phones must use USB-C changed their mind about a completely wireless solution.

Wireless only devices don’t need USB C.

There is most certainly going to be a new watch with a heavy emphasis on fitness. They are inviting sports tech people to be at the event in person, which is a first I believe (DC Rainmaker and Desfit). We already knew from WWDC that the Apple Watch is going to support running power and have more athletic features, but now I am wondering if they are going to have a rugged new design with better battery life?

I switched from the Apple Watch to Garmin this year, and I can’t see myself going back, but it will be neat to see what they do.

I still have my 8+ AND my OG 12.9" iPad Pro.

My wife still uses and loves her OG 12.9 iPad Pro.