2022 System Builds: Raptor Lake, Ryzen 7000, RTX 40x0, and PCIe 5.0....

It’s like when I bought my Pentium II 400 for Jane’s WW2 Fighters all over again.

(I tried plugging the P2/400 into my VIC 20’s cartridge slot but the VIC didn’t go any faster.)

It’s ALIVE!

Kind of ridiculous, but I like it. If I could kick the flight sim habit I’d probably be happy with my Steam Deck, but since I can’t… Here’s the new rig.

Benchmarks confirm the RGBs increase speed by 10%.

Knowing how big are the RTX 4090… how big is that case???

… and can it run Plague Tale: Requiem?

Lower Decks. High Five!

Heh. It’s a largish mid-tower, but it’s not even the big Fractal Define 7 XL, just the regular 7. It was a pleasure to build in. And the removable top panel came in handy when I had to make my one change to the final build, moving the fan controller cable to a different header since the CPU OPT header doesn’t have PWM speed control.

You can flip the back panel forward to change the case to “Storage Mode,” where it will hold an insane number of 3.5 inch drives, but the 4090 is too long and wouldn’t allow that. Glad I wasn’t planning on using that – I only have a single 3.5-inch drive in this build, which with my penchant for moving old drives to new systems for extra storage is a record low for a 21st century build. (I won’t count the m.2 and 2.5-inch SSDs, though. :-)

Are you saying Asobo is capable of making an inefficient, demanding game engine? Shocked! Shocked, I say!

Should have done a Henry Cavill and record yourself building this thing… 😂

The demands are arguably justified by the visuals - I’d recommend you take at least a look to see what that 4090 comes up with :) It supports DLSS3 too.

Well, that was fun. Went to turn it on this morning and no response from the power switch.

Turns out power flickers last night had tripped the UPS and the power had shut down to it. PHEW. After the CyberPowerPC stupidity I was glad to build my own PC again. But it’s no fun when a new-built PC stops working. Luckily this was a press of a button to resurrect things.

I totally would, but I’ve grown weary of being confused with Henry Cavill every time I leave the house. Damned paparazzi.

I haven’t finished the first one (can’t imagine why I’d want to take a game centering on children being mauled to death by rats in small doses…), but I’ll have to check it out since it’s on Game Pass anyway!

Well the painful deaths are still present and correct but the rendering is pretty great :) I think DF mentioned ray-tracing might be patched in, though they weren’t sure what it would even add, so maybe wait for that if you really want to blow some jiggawatts.

I think Plague Tale does just about qualify as deserving a next-gen label, so along with MSFS and Cyberpunk (sort of) that makes three…

Managing 115-140 fps at 5,120x1,440 with all details cranked to Ultra/max. Running with DLSS frame generation on, but DLSS set to DLAA (so no upscaling a lower resolution).

So, yes, it can handle it. :)

According to MSI Afterburner, it’s managing staying at about 95% utilization of the 4090. Card’s running at 74C, which is about 10C more than MSFS.

I just hit chapter two and it definitely gets the Official QT3 “Visually Stunning” Certificate of Achievement.

Yay :) Do you have any particular take on DLSS3 so far?

I’ve been super-impressed. My monitor does 120Hz and basically everything except MSFS maxes it out now. (And even MSFS does in most of the world.)

I don’t see noticeable visual degradation or artifacts when setting DLSS3 to Quality and enabling frame generation. But I’m not super-sensitive to it like some people are. But in games that support it, the frame generation really does feel like doubling your frame rate “for free.” (Or for $1599…)

That said, Cyberpunk with ray-tracing set to insane mode and running DLSS 2.0 at Quality at 5,120x1,440 gets me 73.34 fps average, and that feels silky smooth to me as well.

Assuming we see widespread DLSS 3.0/frame generation support on AAA games going forward, I think this is going make the 4060/4070 really impressive cards for people running monitors at saner resolutions.

A sane resolution would be… a sort of cut down 8K, right :)

Another video focused towards my specific needs: 2022 value cpu benchmarks focued on gaming with comparisons of cost of associated hardware

The make imo a small mistake in this part (given the title of the vidoe is ‘best value gaming cpus’)

because they just picked two options for the ram: the budget option and the high performance option for $100 more, while there is a middle point (ddr5-6000 but cl32) that surely performs very close to their ddr5 6000, but the price is closer to the cheaper ram. I could find it for 152€, just 32€ more than the cheap option (120€).

Overall here in Europe looking at prices of hw I obtain something like this if I combine their numbers with my prices:

5800x3d- 2,83 €/fps
13600kf - 2,93 €/fps
7600x - 3,18 €/fps

The AMD is still the more expensive option, but I hope In January the motherboards will be cheaper as right now they have ‘novelty prices’. And AM5 should serve for two more generations unlike the other two options.

Nice video, thanks for pointing it out. Didn’t realize there was such a price gap between CL14 and CL16 ram.

I spent way too much time trying to figure out why the best $/perf option was struck out, until I finally realized it was the timebar. Sheesh.

newpc

If you went to all the trouble to create a clean build behind a window in your case, and then you want to hide that behind the least ergonomic monitor design ever…

https://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/product.asp?Model=13.3”%20Side%20Panel%20Kit

And the sequel to that video, where they compare the 7600x vs the 13600k in … 54 games. Which imo is the right way to do it, comparisons with 5-7 games are small enough to end with biased results.

The amd cpu is 4-5% faster and it consumes 60W less energy.

Was annoyed by a fan noise of the AK620 on the 5800X3D, installed the gigabyte fan control app, lowered speed on both fans to 20% (590 or so RPM) until 50c and wow, now I am satisfied with my semi-new PC. Beautifully quiet, cool enough (still around 35-40c in windows) and performant. Glad I did the upgrade.

Hoping for input from those more wise than myself.

I put my last pc together about 10 years ago and have upgraded hard drives, video cards, RAM, etc, but now I’m at the point where the motherboard/CPU/old RAM needs to be updated.

The good news is the wife gave me her blessing to get something prebuilt and did not flinch when I said they would run around $1800 for a good machine. I’ve been researching like crazy for the best deals, machines I can still upgrade (starting with putting in the 3gb hard drive I have in this pc), but will see me through another decade or so.

I have come across this, and while I will need to add a fan, I’m not finding anything nearly as good at this price point. Can someone talk me out of this or is it maybe a keeper?

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
SSD 1000 gigabytes

• System Memory (RAM) 16 gigabytes
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
  • Windows 11 Home

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-supreme-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-9-5900x-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-1tb-ssd-black/6479749.p?skuId=6479749&irclickid=xljVOR3TDxyNUpTXvYQE51H5UkDSFfTxzT43ws0&irgwc=1&ref=198&loc=Skimbit%20Ltd.&acampID=0&mpid=10078