2022 System Builds: Raptor Lake, Ryzen 7000, RTX 40x0, and PCIe 5.0....

@TommyTutone, I bought a Best Buy CyberPower PC prebuilt (Intel) in late 2020 and it used the same case, fans, and cooler as the one you linked. I used it happily for 2 years and just resold it to a friend. But as it shipped, there were some issues, though they can be remedied for a couple hundred bucks:

• The power supply was a no-name POS and my system started shutting down randomly sometime in the first year of ownership. Replaced it with a Corsair power supply, no more sudden shutdown issues.

• That case design isn’t great for cooling, though it can be alleviated somewhat with a few part replacements. Specifically:

• That single-fan water cooler was wholly inadequate for an I9-10900K and I was constantly thermal throttling. I replaced it with a Noctua NH-D15S air cooler and all was well. I don’t know if a Ryzen 5900X runs nearly as hot as an Intel – maybe the single-fan cooler is adequate for that CPU? Hopefully one of our AMD users can chime in.

• The interior of the case is poorly cooled with that configuration, because the rear-mounted AIO water cooler block doesn’t pass a ton of airflow, and the side fans just blow on the glass and then the air spreads out through the top and rear. So the fan has to run fast and loud and the case still gets hot. Even if you don’t swap out the cooler, I’d consider moving it to the top (the top of the case has ventilation holes) and putting a 120mm PWM fan at the rear. The unobstructed rear fan brought down my interior temps by 10C and made the system much quieter, even after switching to a (hotter) air cooler for the CPU.

The fans included aren’t PWM, so they were (sloppily) wired to a controller connected to the reset switch to change fan speed. If that doesn’t bother you, cool. But if you want the system to regulate its own fan speed, consider just pulling all three out and replacing them with a three-pack of PWM fans. I bought this Thermaltake set and just took the manual fan controller out of the chain.

Once I updated the cooling, things were fine until I had to replace the power supply. And once I did that, the system was rock-solid and stable. (I also upgraded the RAM to 32GB, but you don’t really need to do that yet for most gaming, and when you do, that’s easy enough to do later.)

(Edit: I noticed in the BB ratings, the top review mentioned issues with the AIO cooler and the 5900X. So yeah, I’d probably add in the expense of a better cooler and a set of fans.)

That is incredibly helpful, thank you!

For anyone interested in Ryzen 7000, Newegg will have them at discount from Nov 21st thru the 28th. 7950x will drop to 574 dollars, 7600x to 249.

I wonder if the leak about the upcoming X3D announcement may be partly driving the sales beyond the normal holiday rush. Still, nice pricing no matter what.

The adm 7600x price has decreased to 320€. Well, the 7600x and the higher models too.

Dumb question, but does this mean that when I am watching some 4K video (can be seen in background), CPU runs three cores at around 200-300mhz and eats only some 10W? So together with the GPU eating some 30W, what could be the total consumption of the PC when watching TV, 80-100W ?

After a long delay because a missing motherboard, everything has arrived and the cat gives the sniff of approval.

That’s going to be a pretty baller computer. How much, $4000?

Didn’t really price it out, just the 4090 was about 2000$ and I didn’t pay any taxes on that, the PSU and the CPU.

Let’s see, and remember, everything is more expensive in israel:

• Gigabyte Aorus Master Nvidia RTX 4090 - 2000$
  • Corsair HX1000W Platinum - 215$
  • Intel i9-13900k - 591$
  • ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E - 815$
  • G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 2x16GB DDR5 6400MHz CL32 - 570$
  • 2* Western Digital BLACK SN850 2TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe - 760$
  • ASUS ROG STRIX LC II 360 AIO - 270$
  • White Sleeved cables for the PSU (because why the hell not) - 110$
  • Custom 12VHPWR CableMod cable for the GPU - 30$

Total - 5361$

By the prophets that’s a lot of money.

Edit: Oh, and I’ll be keeping the 3 Samsung 4TB Sata SSDs.
Blood hell, counting those disks and the case, 7117$

Hope it doesn’t catch fire!

Good point, I should get a fire extinguisher. The 4090 is a well documented (5 incidents!!) fire hazard.

Well, you are far richer than me if you buy a, $7000 computer and don’t bother in pricing it out!
Henry Cavill, is that you?

He’s clearly Terry Crews. Nine Nine!

Hah, no kids, no wife. Am beholden to nobody but myself.

If I don’t spend money on my hobbies, why hoard it?

What case are you putting that loot in?

My good old Fractal Design Meshify 2.

The only premade I have ever bought was from Cyberpowerpc, and it is still running today (purchased in 2013). I upgraded to a new PC recently, but they have been very reliable. The only problem I had with that machine was with the powercolor gpu, and their terrible company service for RMA’s it took literally months to get a replacement that failed, and then they had to send me a completely different GPU, because they were “out of stock” Nothing to do with Cyberpowerpc at all, but I always want to mention how much I loathe that company for keeping my PC running with an ancient GPU for over 3/4 of a year.

Big thing with premades is when you get it, to open it up and make sure all the cables are connected (that you can understand and see) and make sure all the ones that are fitted are nice and tight. During shipping things can move.

I had an AIO cooler, still runs just fine after almost a decade. I think ymmv on how well they work, but mine has been rock solid.

When you start the pc, make sure to get into the bios and enable xmp profile on the memory to get the ram running faster. (though if there are system stability issues try turning that off, the mobo/ram combo I have now do not like eachother, and I am too lazy to do a mobo bios update)

You should be good, one of the bonuses of buying a system from Best Buy is that if you have issues early on, you can return it to them directly. Though, reading up, the other part of the 1 year warranty will mean shipping it to CyberpowerPC directly (expensive)

My opinion of their company is that they are one of the better cheap system builders, they still have problems and their support isn’t great, but they aren’t completely awful.

What is the “Gaming Trio” card underneath your video card?

Suspect it’s an anti sag device :)

It amazes me that my most recent build, with a boutique case from Sliger, asus rog mobo, top of the line sf750 psu, but otherwise mid-range machine (5600x/3070) cost less than a 4090.