2022 System Builds: Raptor Lake, Ryzen 7000, RTX 40x0, and PCIe 5.0....

It’s a Halon fire suppression system to automatically extinguish the burning 4090 cables when they ignite.

And it’s all done, including creating a RAID0 array and cloning the old system drive into the array. I love Macrium.
Now to figure out how to disable all the atrocious RGB from the RAM and CPU cooler.

Man that GPU is a chonker. And I thought my 3080Ti was big.
Congrats on the build! I totally empathize in regards to RGB. One of the most important features of my new case was to have without glass so I would see none of it.

That looks like a GPU with some minor supporting components attached :)

Correct! Support that came with the card.

But I like this answer better!

Why would you give up 10% of your performance?

But seriously, another option is to just set it to white, which is tasteful and not l33t in feels. I have mine pulsing between light blue and white, which I think looks nice without screaming for attention.

It’s interesting how most of a gaming PC is empty space, and most of the actual ‘stuff’ is just heatsink.

That’s because he’s really good at building computers! A bad/sloppy build would be full of wires criss-crossing everywhere (glances at the sff by my feet).

A lot of the credit goes to modern case designs. The jungle vine network of cables that used to creatively redirect airflow inside my case is now hidden between the motherboard and the back panel.

Where’s the PSU?

Bottom left corner, behind the Fractal logo.

[edit: @sillhouette beat me to it!]

Oh nice, so all the power cables go underneath. Smart design

OK, if I can get mine HALF as neat as yours I’ll be happy. You should see the backplate on mine. When I open it, a spaghetti monster barfs out all my smooshed messy cabling. It’s bad, but I really don’t know how to make stuff organized on the back side.

You don’t know that his backside cabling isn’t spaghetti monster too, though. That’s the whole joy of having that partitioning, I would think. Just never open it!

I have SO much cable spaghetti (I have a few old hdds too) in my old case that in fact I suspect it affects the airflow of it.

I’m sure nothing breaks up airflow like the old ribbon cables did, but certainly modern backside cable containment helps keep airflow clean.

I have a Fractal Meshify 2 Compact and those cases with the PSU basement design essentially force you to route all cables around the back so even my poor cable management results in a fairly clean frontside. It also helps not to have any cables for HDs or optical drives. The only major complaint I have about the Meshify 2 Compact is that there is very little clearance between the backside of the mobo tray and the case panel, so you do have to wrangle those power cables fairly well to close the case properly.

One review I watched noted that the full size version of that case has better cable clearance than the compact version. Hopefully they’ll improve that in the next iteration.

Yeah, my backside isn’t the disaster of my builds 10-20 years ago, but it’s nowhere near as neat as the front! The Fractal Define 7 has cable channels with Velcro holders, which helps keep it from getting too crazy.

Well, there I go…

New computer! For a new house which I’m still not using fully, but soon enough it should be my permanent residence. I comment this because part of my reasoning was ‘well, I spend several thousands of € in furniture and decorating it, so I can well go and spend a smaller amount on a computer’.

All in all, it’s 200-250€ more than I wanted to spend. But well, you know how these things are…

First, the gpu. A freaking RTX 4080. It’s the first time I buy a gpu so expensive, actually, it’s more than twice the price I paid for the next gpu I ever bought, price wise. But well:

-I got it for 1350€, that is 100€ cheaper than most other rtx 4080 (that’s with 21% vat/tax included, for our American friends)
-an unexpected annual payroll increase helped a bit in ‘go crazy’ attitude when buying it
-The amd 7900 xtx ended up not being as good as I hoped
-there is a energy efficiency difference in between both, as commented in the gpu thread, so I would have to increase the price of the 7900xtx by 55€ or subtract 55€ from the Nvidia one
-So the remaining price gap is justifiable, to pay for the extra raytracing perfomance, dlss2 and 3, etc

And the rest. As you can see, I ended up with the AMD option for cpu, thanks to the price decreases of the last month, making it imo very competitive. And this is for a new computer, not an upgrade, so having options for the future makes sense. Although I ended up buying a more expensive mobo than I expected, so it evens out a bit the cpu discount.
That said, it was a pretty good asus mobo whose price is usually 260€, I got a refurbished version from Amazon for 221€. I thought it would be ok, it was manufactured literally in Oct '22, it didn’t have time for anyone to break it.

The case seems very decent, at first I didn’t even thought of buying a known brand like Fractal, and it’s a good price. Here looking around several sites paid off, I believe, to get that cheap price, other similar options were 20€ more expensive.
After looking a lot, I also got a pair of deals, like with the ram and the psu.
The ram, I actually thought of buying just 16gb, which is enough still for most things, and buying another 16gb set next year, as a way to offset the price of the computer a bit, but I found that deal for 221€, for 32gb @6000mhz, that’s pretty good. Same with the psu, it isn’t like I need 1050W!, but it was a deal I found while looking for 850W psus. In fact I almost buy a 850W that was more expensive.

The AIO is nothing fancy, just a normal one in performance. One of the cheapest ones I could find, that wouldn’t be ‘bad’ once installled.

Finally, the ssd is a 1tb nvme that I know it’s very mediocre in comparison with something like a Samsung 980 pro, but as you can see, I can get it for ‘free’ from some ‘points’ from my company. Alas they have a very limited selection of supply. Then again, I know in real games the difference between an average nvme and a top of the line one is minimal, despite what synthetic benchmarks indicate, and next year I can buy something better. Maybe by then there will be nvme ssds with pci express 5.0 that don’t cost an arm and a leg.

I still don’t have all the components here, some won’t arrive until next week. Le’ts hope everything works!