2023 Quarterlies! Vote for Qt3's Best Game of 2023: "Jesus would have been a 5-star."

So I thought we’d get a jump on The Quarterlies this year so that we can more quickly resolve the question that is on everyone’s lips but is never answered: who let those gosh-darned dogs out? For 2023, in keeping with the unique times in which we live, we are going to change up the voting a bit, because I think, yes, it’s time.

Exclusive to this year, instead of voting for your top five games of 2023, you can vote for your top TEN games of 2023! BUT! There’s a catch! You don’t HAVE to vote for all ten games! For each of your spaces that you leave blank, you can “power up” your other votes by the sum of the points you didn’t assign to different games, using the reverse 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 rubric. Let’s use a device called the “Example of Play” to illustrate:

Someone thinks that The Banished Vault is the legit best game of 2023, and The Invincible is the second best game. Not unreasonable! But they then forgo voting for places 3-10, and instead tally up those points: 8 for 3rd place, 7 for fourth, 6 for fifth, etc. If you get out Excel, you can calculate that this is 36 extra points. You can now “power” your top two choices by any combination of points that adds up to 36! So if you were sandbagging and really thought The Invincible was better than The Banished Vault, you could take 24 points and add it to The Invincible’s 9 points for 2nd place, and it would have a total of 33 points! Then you could use the remaining 12 points (remember, you had 36 extra to assign) and give it to The Banished Vault, which would result in that game having 22 total (those 12 plus the 10 points it got for 1st place on your list). That’s tricky!

BUT! You can also “save” points and not assign them to ANY game, and instead use them to try and reduce other people’s votes. To do this, every voter is assigned a Str, Dex, and Cha score (please PM me for yours before you vote) and then buys a weapon from the vendor and is assigned to an 8x8 grid where you face off directly against another voter and make a Heroic Feat Check to reduce the score of any game they voted for by the difference between your modified roll and their modified armor class. However, if you miss, your score is instead reduce by the same amount. If you roll a Critical Miss, ALL your votes are canceled, and you are prohibited from voting in subsequent Quarterlies for the next [d4^e] years.

Man, wouldn’t that be great? I think someone should license the Quarterlies from Tom Chick and make a serious autobattler in the style of the Old School. Like maybe Bauhaus. Someone please look into this. Anyway, we’ll just do it the same way this year as all the other times, as follows:

The Quarterlies are the Quarter to Three Year-End Awards for Best Game of [the year that just ended]. Here is how it works:

Rule 1 : Just list your top 5 games of 2023. Put your picks in order* (see below), so that this is a weighted choice. Your first pick will get 5 points, your fifth pick will get one. Popularity will be aggregated to come up with a final set of winners. Please provide commentary on your picks if you are at all inclined to do so. I will quote them in the wrap up for the winners.

Rule 2 : Any game–console, PC, mobile, etc–released in 2023 is eligible. Early Access games are eligible if they were “released” by going to version 1.0 in calendar 2023. Boardgames are fine. Tabletop RPGs are fine. If it’s a game, it counts, as long as it was first “released” in 2023. (Sorry, no “these are the games I played the most in 2023, even though some came out in 1998.”)

Rule 3 : Revisions to your original post are fine. Revisions as subsequent posts are not fine because that will make me legit crazy. Imma do this by hand. Please make it easier on a guy. Only your first post with votes counts, so don’t make a new post to change your votes. Don’t separate your list into multiple posts.

That’s it. We’re going off the rails on the crazy train.

Voting closes at 10:00 Eastern Standard Time (États-Unis) on Saturday, January 13th. That’s an extension because Brooski forgot he was on call Friday night.

(*)HOW TO VOTE

[a] All in a single post, you must post your votes on separate lines, with a number next to the place in your list you are assigning it. Please put a period and a space between the number and the bolded title.

[b] Bold your choices.

[c] You can put other stuff in your list, including discussion/explanation (which is encouraged) and stuff like platform but please do not bold anything other than the name of the game. Don’t even bold the platform, like (PC) . Here is an example from @jsnell that is still working after all these years. Amazing.

For reference, the “Year in gaming” article on wikipedia has been used before to clarify what was released in the calendar year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_in_video_games

Results are HERE

Sorry, does rule 2 indicate that games released in either 2022 or 2023 are eligible?

Bleh, thanks. I copied that from last year and read through that multiple times to change all the 2022s to 2023s, and still missed that one.

Dear God.

Yeah, it really would! I don’t even like top ten lists all that much, and I’d get in on that action.

Ah damn it, you got me. We did something similar to that one of these years actually. Someone made a script for how long someone had been posting and how many posts they had to give each user a weight. That year was very cool, but stressful for me as my vote carried a lot of weight, and I could use it on a single game or 10 different games, and that’s a lot of pressure.

Edit: Ah yes, it was 2010.

I’ve still got a couple games I’m hoping to wrap up before voting closes, but as it stands now:

1. Baldur’s Gate III
  2. Brotato
  3. System Shock
  4. Dave the Diver
  5. Alan Wake 2
  1. Star Trek: Resurgence - Best Star Trek game in ages, reminiscient of the glorious Trek adventure games of old. Finished it, and I rarely finish games. I am so hungry for more stories with this crew.
  2. Cobalt Core - An amazing deck-builder from the folks behind Sunshine Heavy Industries, and takes place in the same universe. I’m terrible at deck-builders, but this one was so well-made I just fell in love with it.
  3. WarpVector - An amazingly fun, vibrant and funny space roguelike with fantastic developers.
  4. Time Wasters - Probably tied with Void Scrappers as my favorite of the recent bullet heaven genre. So fast, violent and fun.
  5. The Banished Vault - This game hates me so, so much, but I can’t help but be amazed at its design.

There is an extra two in 20223 - I think it should be 2023 to get to the correct article

1. Baldur’s Gate 3
  2. Slay the Princess

I don’t know if I’ll have any others looking at the list of games that I played. As usual, new releases just don’t get played much in the year of their release for me.

BG3 is no surprise, of course, but Slay the Princess came out of nowhere. You don’t need the size and scope of a BG3 to make this list.

What, you aren’t interested in what games are going to be released in 20223??

Er, thanks!

Holy wow! That’s pretty, uh, cool. Yeah, you know what, it is pretty cool! Now if it could just account for armor class.

1. Returnal Intense, hypnotic fever dream. Tentacles!
  2. Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora Surprisingly detailed alien world is a joy to explore.
  3. Jedi Survivor Adventuring on Koboh just beyond the cantina is like childhood for grownups.
  4. Atomic Heart Entertaining soviet futurism. Some issues, but a trip.
  5. Phantom Liberty I love Dogtown and Night City but this had worse gameplay than the other four.
  1. Baldur’s Gate 3
  2. Midnight Suns
  3. SpellForce: Conquest of Eo
  4. Dune Imperium

Midnight Suns
Very fun combat and I liked the interactions between the heroes. In some ways the combat was more enjoyable than BG3 because I had to hurt my brain trying to figure out what to play, do I want to classes etc.

BG3
is incredible and makes me happy as a turn based gamer.

Dune Imperium
Is the best digital board game I have played.

If only that would be possible! ; )

1. Against the Storm (PC)
    City builders are my favorite genre, which is actually why I probably shouldn’t have liked Against the Storm. Because it takes most of the appeal of a good city builder–the ownership you feel of your unique city, the satisfaction of laying down industries and services in a familiar pattern of essentials to luxuries, the comfortable groove that only intensifies at your command–and it chucks them all out and slots in a roguelike structure. Meaning your town is now a series of overlapping emergent puzzles. How can I get metal for tools? Build a mine and smelter? Synthesize it from magical rainwater? Bundle up surplus crops and sell them to traders for the ingots? Or… forego tools entirely! Each settlement becomes its own tense negotiation with the forces arrayed against you, such as the ambient hostility of the forest (especially during the brutal storm season) and the scarcity and unpredictability of the randomly generated frontier. Against the Storm deserves more recognition, so I’m glad that I can finally name my most played early access game of 2021 and 2022 as my game of the year for 2023!

2. The Making of Karateka (PC)
    Karateka was an absolutely foundational game for me—basically my first game for my first real home computer, the Apple IIe. As such, this “interactive documentary” was not just a delightful surprise release, but a legitimately moving experience. Quite apart from its importance as a work of historical preservation, The Making of Karateka is an interactive experience that is as worth exploring as any more “standard” game, put together with imagination and craftsmanship. So if the end of year list-making and awards this year compel you to fret about remakes and remasters, don’t go foisting any of that on The Making of Karateka.

3. DREDGE (PC)
    What’s the fishing analogy equivalent of a perfectly paired doubles tennis team playing a flawless match? Because that’s what DREDGE feels like as it presents you with an exquisite premise and then perfectly executes on every element. Here you have simple and effective fishing minigames, a small but compelling world to explore, and an atmosphere of menace that lures you into taking bigger and bigger risks. For some reason, the feature that impressed me most, though, is the perfectly tuned grid-based inventory juggling you have to negotiate as you haul in more awkwardly shaped sea creatures and install bulkier but more efficient equipment. In too many games, managing your inventory is either pointless busy work or an aggravating throttle on progress. As with every carefully chosen feature put into DREDGE, the team at Black Salt Games found the perfect balance.

4. Pharaoh: A New Era (PC)
    This was gearing up to be the retro remaster delight of the year until The Making of Karateka high-kicked its way into the competition. But that doesn’t diminish the value of bringing one of Impressions’ masterworks up to date and, crucially, letting you play it with the many vital improvements introduced by its successor, Zeus. It took A New Era much of the year to get patched into shape, but once it was, it delivered all the greatness of the original with none of its annoyances. For all of Zeus’ laurels, only Pharaoh gave you building on the most monumental scale. Triskell have made pyramid-building fun again.

5. Chants of Sennaar (PC)
    This game got me to read a book on the decipherment of Mayan hieroglyphs in the mid to late 20th Century. For those keeping score at home, Return of the Obra Dinn did NOT make me want to read up on insurance adjusting.

The rest of my top 10:

1. System Shock (PC)
    Another remake that knew exactly what to keep and what to jettison.

2. Japanese Rural Life Adventure (iOS)
    A farming/life sim that finds delight in specificity from the precise schedule of Japanese holidays to the many culinary and ritual uses of mochi.

3. A Highland Song (PC) / Laya’s Horizon (iOS)
    My #8 game is a hypothetical fusion between these two indie games: Inkle’s traipse through the Scottish hills and Snowman’s open-world gliding game. If we could lop off the former’s awkward climbing and skipping while retaining its sensitive exploratory worldbuilding and then graft that to the innovative-but-nevertheless-polished-as-hell movement mechanics of the latter, we’d have a real indie masterpiece.

4. Hello Kitty Island Adventure (iOS)
    I’m as surprised as you are.

5. Kingdom: Two Crowns+ (iOS)
    I went for years thinking that one of my favorite indie concepts-turned-franchise had consistently failed to solve its long-term progression problem. It took a different form factor (mobile) to give me the patience to keep learning this iteration’s overarching structure and discover that it does work after all. Kingdom Eighties was the newest iteration out this year, but it is too different and too samey at the same time. If you don’t let all the waste-of-time art reskins distract you, Two Crowns is the definitive Kingdom. You can stop now, guys!

Other games I liked:

• Goodbye Volcano High
  • Cobalt Core
  • Dave the Diver

Games I didn’t get to spend enough time with but are definitely good:

• Octopath Traveler II
  • Moonring
  • Dreams in the Witch House
  • Mr. Sun’s Hatbox
  • Tchia
  • Jusant

Games I wish I had had time to try:

• Saltsea Chronicles
  • Stray Gods

Oh boy, I’ll need some time to think about my top 5. This has been an interesting year for sure.

1. Spellforce: Conquest of Eo
2. Moonring
3. Path of Achra

Someone pointed out that my 4th choice (Master of Magic) was released in December 2022 so I’ve removed it.

1. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty DLC that harkens back to the days of the awesome “expansion packs” we used to get instead of neutered chunks of the base game sold to us later.
  2. WH40K: Boltgun The Emperor Protects. Well, in this case Khorne protects, but whatever. I’m putting this here because it is honestly the first extremely good WH40K FPS ever created, and it’s a retro throwback!
  3. System Shock Not worth the ludicrous development time, but a tour-de-force remake nevertheless.
  4. Crime Boss: Rockay City There is actually a nifty shooter underneath the unbelievably bad voice acting and AA jank here. I enjoyed the hell out of this one when most other people didn’t.
  5. Quake 2 Enhanced This is how you remaster games, people. Rewritten engines, tons of modern quality of life features, and even extra historical goodies.

2023 was a nice year for fairly entertaining video games all around. I enjoyed a bunch of new ones, but none of them are really GOTY material for me - none of them rocked me back on my heels like a true GOTY would.

I can’t wait for the most disappoint/most ‘meh’ list because hoo boy there were a couple of doozies this year.