3d printer Recommendations?

Def not going to build one with a kit. It’s not my wheelhouse so preassembled or semi assembled it would be.

You will not go wrong with a Prusa.

They are great.

I have about 8 months of Ender 3 v2 ownership and 0 complaints. Once I got the bed leveling figured out, it has been a fiddle-free breeze.

I haven’t felt the need to add an auto-bed leveler, I think I just got the hand measuring method down super well.

All of my failed printing has been either clogs in the nozzle (easy fix), or bad slicing setup.

If/when my Ender3 dies I will buy a full sized Prusa.

I have been tempted to get a resin printer for MINIs though. FDM mini printing is possible, but a lot of the model designers focus on resin printing setups, and that makes slicing, supports, and cleanup on FDM a lot more work.

For terrain, FDM is a dream though. I love it. Have made so many terrain pieces with my printer.

1 Like

Budged squared away and Prusa will be ordered next week. Super excited. From what I gather you have to look for supportless minis with FDM, like these: Evan Carothers @EC3D Design - MyMiniFactory

They will be chunkier and not as “graceful” as resin prints but I am good with that. I need to paint this stuff after all.

Wish I’d seen that this morning.

Why, did you order a 3D Printer? If so, I woudn’t worry - it’s at kickstarter stage so ~9-12 months away from delivery. If you’re in the market for a 3D printer now, this is not the printer you are looking for.

A) shipping starts in august
B) you could have had it for $170 less this morning

This must be your first kickstarter… ;)

I’ll admit, Anker are going to have oodles of experience in supply chain management, but with covid, continued global shipping supply issues and the weight of the vast majority of kickstarters never shipping on time, I’ll be surprised if any of those ship in 2022.

Yeah, I wish I’d see it earlier as well, for money-saving reasons. I’m in at the regular Kickstarter price. The feature set and claimed speed are awesome.

Anker makes good stuff. I have lots of their power stuff, of course, but I got my dad set up with one of their soundbars and its design is excellent and its sound quality is well above its price range. Gives me faith they may deliver here. (Though yeah, I rarely expect Kickstarters to deliver on time.)

I don’t care about the shipping time. I only mentioned it because Sharaleo brought it up. I’m 3D-curious, and might have taken a flyer on it at the lower price. For $599, I’ll wait. I’m sure Sharaleo will be along to tell me why that’s wrong.

I am very curious about the Anker. Not gonna jump into a KS but this could be a fantastic upgrade if I stick with 3D printing in a few months.

I dont have a Prusa, but definatly would have bought one over an ender if it was in my price range. Their quality control, and actually giving a damn shows. The 3d printing nerd on youtube has some good videos touring their factory.

You dont want your first printing experience to be marred by a warped build plate.

The anker sounds to good to be true, I think its a wait and see situation.

How fiddly/impossible a task am I looking at for a 3d printer to use to make some box inserts for boardgames from pre-made …printer instructions/schematics on Thingiverse?

Depends on the printer you get.

I would say with a Prusa mini or MK3S+. Super not fiddly.

With and Ender 3v2 or similar , a bit more fiddly but not too bad.

Printing stuff off of thingiverse with basic profiles with pla is super smooth.

I am super happy with my Ender 3v2. The amount of fiddly-ness has been only a few weekends of tinkering here and there. Honestly, not bad at all.

If/when I replace it, I will be buying the 750$ Prusa MK3S+ for sure. Those things are rockstars when it comes to features/reliability. Direct drive/auto bed leveling/print preview/networking etc.

Just get one with auto-leveling and it’s not bad. Prusa or Anycubic Kobra. Avoid manual bed-leveling like the plague.

And I guess double check the build volume is sufficient for the types of box inserts you want to print.

Oh don’t take my comments the wrong way, at the early, early bird price, the Anker would be an interesting proposition, for a 1st time buyer or otherwise. At the normal price, I’d wait until they ship. No reason to think Anker won’t pump them out for retail if they are even moderately successful, so they should be readily available and you can wait and see if they have any issues getting a v1 product to market without teething issues.

That Anker is what I’ve been waiting for. Minimal maintenance and tweaking, fast enough for my lack of patience. Still gonna wait for the real thing and reviews.

Not sure if I mentioned it before, but I picked up an Elgoo Mars 2 last year and it has very excellent print quality at a very nice price at under $300 for a resin printer.

ELEGOO Resin 3D Printer Mars 2 Pro Mono MSLA 3D Printer UV Photocuring LCD Resin 3D Printer with 6.08 inch 2K Monochrome LCD, Printing Size 129x80x160mm/5.1x3.1x6.3inch. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08F7L945C/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_GM58NCJYRM2J9652TG8H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah, probably will be getting a resin printer later this year