3x3: acquiring firearms

This is a topic about how characters who need guns go about getting them in movies. This isn’t really about grabbing somebody’s weapon in the heat of battle, or picking up a musket on the battlefield.

We discuss our favorite instances of acquiring firearms in movies at the 1:39 mark of the Qt3 Movie Podcast of Now You See Me 2.

Dingus
3. Harsh Times
2. The Guest

1. Blue Ruin

Kelly Wand
3. Sharky’s Machine
2. The Terminator

1. The Guest

Tom Chick
3. Taxi Driver
2. The Rover

1. Blue Ruin

What are your favorite instances of acquiring firearms in movies? Listen to the podcast to hear us go on about ours, and to hear the 3x3 cop put a lot of folks in jail as Tom reads through the emails from our listeners.

Send in your ideas for the next topic to [email protected].

My (only) pick would be Commando (1985). Yeah, the one with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Can you describe the scene, @rhamorim? I don’t think anybody else brought that up.

-xtien

I found a part of the scene on Youtube (no audio though): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK6f0fo4sk8

Basically, Arnold’s character breaks into a gun store to get weapons. He then starts to pick all sorts of weapons, including a rocket launcher, with the help of a girl he met earlier. When he’s about to leave, he’s arrested by two cops. The girl (who had most of the weapons in a cart) go afters him and shoots a rocket into the car that’s taking him away, freeing him. They take the weapons and keep going to their destination.

It’s very memorable to me because it’s all so ludicrous. A rocket launcher in a gun store? Also, the way he picks weapons and ammo seems so casual that it feels like someone carelessly picking fruits in a grocery store. Of course, the whole movie is kind of tongue-in-cheek, so it fits. :)

Phantasm 3. Reggie builds a quad barrelled shotgun in the hardware store.

You all better have at least talked about Friends of Eddie Coyle at some point, because come on.

For me, it’s the gun shop scene in the original Dawn of the Dead. It’s not because there’s anything special about the protagonists raiding the gun shop. It’s that there’s a gun shop in a mall. I’ve never seen that. I don’t even know if that’s actually a thing that happened for real. I’m assuming it must be a midwest thing? Always blew me away as a kid.

The 3x3 police have issued you a citation and the 3x3 judge has sentence you to 20 hours of community service. So far, everyone else in this thread is a fine upstanding 3x3 citizen. Especially forgeforsaken. I don’t know the first thing about whatever that movie is – the title makes me think of The Courtship of Eddie’s Father – but what a great scene. Makes me want to watch Night of the Hunter again!

-Tom

Kelly Wand seems to be on point lately with 80s action movies so I never have anything to add.

Hmmm, I just remembered another one, though I’m not sure if someone mentioned it - the famous restaurant scene in The Godfather.

I like how there’s a moment of tension there, where you wonder if the gun is actually where it should be. And the way the whole plan is thought out and executed, in the end, comes down to that simple element - Michael acquiring a gun stuck behind a toilet water tank in the bathroom of a restaurant.

-What do you need?

-Guns. Lots of guns.

[keyboard typing ensues]

The Matrix! And that would be my third pick. Thanks, @Woolen_Horde !

The Terminator would be my No. 1 pick, but Kelly had that, so I’ll put in a plug for Men in Black, the Noisy Cricket:

Tuco Benedicto Pacífico Juan María Ramírez picking out a pistol in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

https://youtu.be/meP_Ufwj-FY?t=1m46s

It’s a forgotten classic of the 70s and is totally worth seeing.

Of course, there’s an entire movie about acquiring firearms: Charlie Wilson’s War

Silverado: Kevin Kline cobbling together a 6-shooter from discount parts at the gun store in his undies moments before a duel always stuck with me.

Edit: Or am I conusing that with the Tuco scene mentioned above? I haven’t seen this movie in decades.

Jackie Brown! What a great scene, both in the book and the movie.

I do really love this Matrix pick. But I have to admit that @fire brought it to my attention earlier in the week when I was still trying to come up with my list. I immediately smacked my forehead. [FWIW, she was totally on The Guest as well, back when I was coy about using it because I thought everybody would be using it. Watching that scene again…man does that movie hold up.]

Anyway, The Matrix. I love the weapon–and especially bullet–fetishism in the movie, but I can never quite reconcile it with what is actually going on in the movie. I just don’t get why guns make any difference in this particular world. Why bother? If you can bend a spoon then just crush everybody’s brains and be done with it.

It’s cool and all. But it’s always bugged me.

-xtien

“Not too bright, though.”

I throw myself upon the mercy of the court. Sorry, Your Honor. But it was the first thing I thought of. So… Washing your car is okay?