3x3: deathbeds and death beds

We discuss our favorite deathbeds in movies at the 59-minute mark of the Qt3 Movie Podcast of Resident Evil: The Final Chapter.

Dingus
3. Se7en
2. 28 Days Later

1. Star Wars; Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

Tom Chick
3. A Nightmare on Elm Street
2. Deathbed

1. Death Bed: The Bed That Eats

Kelly Wand
3. Citizen Kane
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey

1. Death Bed: The Bed That Eats

Supposedly this topic is about the actual deathbed, and not about death scenes. But the most lenient 3x3 cop is on duty for this one, so have at it. Listen to the show to hear us go on about our picks and to hear Kelly read a bunch of listener choices.

Send in your picks for the next topic to [email protected].

I mentioned it in the podcast thread, but my favorite “deathbed scene” is kind of related to Tom’s pick, but it’s from Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master. It’s a terrible movie, but it’s got the most mind-boggling death out of the Elm Street series.

Joey Crusel, played by Rodney Eastman, is one of the survivors of Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors. In this movie, he and Kristen and Kincaid are trying to forget the events of the last movie and get on with their high school lives. Freddy comes back, and the plucky kids are in danger again.

Joey falls asleep and dreams about a nude poster model swimming in his waterbed. It gives the director a chance to work some topless action into the movie. But oh, no! Freddy busts through the clear plastic top of the mattress, quips about “wet dreams,” grabs Joey, stabs him a couple of times, then drowns him.

The next morning, Joey’s mother comes into the room and finds Joey dead inside the unbroken plastic waterbed mattress. Inside. The. Mattress. She screams, and the film smash cuts to the next scene.

Even when I saw it in the theater, my first thought was, “Wait. How did the cops explain this death?” Accidental drowning? OK, but how did he get inside the waterbed mattress?

Guardians of the Galaxy

Interstellar

Up

Can that big molten steel cauldron in the end of Terminator 2 be considered a death bed?

Similarly, can the furnace in Alien 3 be considered a death bed?

No. And no.

Here’s a good rule of thumb: would you consider going to sleep in it? Yeah. No.

-xtien

Hellraiser. How did nobody say Hellraiser? Dude dies on the bed, gets resurrected on the bed. Murders somebody else on the bed. Then, in one of the sequels, the woman he murders gets resurrected on the same bed!

Assuming I’m remembering all this correctly. But there was definitely a bed! Well, a mattress.

If I remember correctly, I think it was a mattress on the floor. Certainly wouldn’t get pulled over for that one! Good call.

Death duvet.