Okay, this one might take a bit of explanation. I'm looking for physical bits, not grand gestures like losing weight, studying dance, or fight choreography. Just bits. Small bits.
In Sanctum, there's a part when one of the actors is braiding mountain climbing rope during a conversation. It adds to the scene by showing us something about the character because of something physical the actor is doing. And, like our 3x3 of actors playing musical instruments, I'm particularly fascinated by these when they're not faked. For instance, Bishop's knife trick in Aliens is accomplished not by Henriksen learning it, but by Cameron speeding up the film.
So what are you favorite examples of actors doing non-faked physical bits in a movie?
Here are our picks, which we start discussing at the 58-minute mark of our Enter the Void podcast:
3. Kurt Russell's basketball shot in Escape from Los Angeles
2. John Cazale fumbling a gun in The Godfather
1. Vince Vaugn's money exploding from an envelope in Made
3. Colin Farrell handling a knife in The Way Back
2. Hailee Steinfeld rolling a cigarette in True Grit
1. Jim Broadbent folding clothes in Another Year
3. Alec Guinness' hand gesture for the Jedi mind trick in Star Wars
2. Andrew Garfield dancing in Boy A
1. Mark Borchardt accidentally erasing the whiteboard in American Movie