We discuss our favorite scavengers and scavenging in movies at the 1:28 mark of the Qt3 Movie Podcast of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
2. The Thing
3. Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
- Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
3. Jurassic Park III
2. District 9
- Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
Send in your choices for the next topic to [email protected].
I always like the canned dog food scene from The Road Warrior. Max, his dog, and the captured gyro-copter pilot are hanging out around a fire and Max is chowing down on a can of dog food while both the dog and the pilot hungrily wait for him to finish. The dog wins the scrum for the empty can, but even the pilot makes due with the bits that the dog has left behind. Sums up the pecking order and the desperation all in one fell swoop.
Yeah, but you don’t know that they scavenged that can of Dinki-Di dog food, do you?
-Tom, wannabe 3x3 cop
P.S. Good pick, but I like my Road Warrior pick better.
- the motley crew of subterranean weirdos in Micmacs, who could build all kinds of wonderful nonsense.
- the ragtag band of high school chums who suddenly need to move away for a while in Red Dawn. I was really impressed that the boys that would become wolverines had the foresight to use a sleeping bag as an extra-large shopping bag.
A really-convenient store
- A roving gang of medieval maniacs scour the forest for a cow as white as milk, a cape as red as blood, a hair as yellow as corn, and a slipper as pure as gold. Before their trip Into The Woods is over, they’ll have murdered, robbed, lied, and swyved. Just a moment in the wood.
The one that immediately came to mind for me was Explorers, the 1985 kids sci fi film. It came out at just the right time for me that it really hit home. I adored that movie as a kid. And of course, they get their awesome space ship from a junkyard. Junkyards seemed to be ubiquitous in 80s films. I don’t think I’ve ever been in a junkyard in my life, but I can picture them plain as day because they featured in soooooo many films back in the day.