3x3: weird casting that works

We discuss weird casting that would work at the 1:05 mark of the Qt3 Movie Podcast of The Light Between Oceans.

Uh…I should say I’m a little shy about posting particulars of our picks on this topic because I think the pleasure in this comes in the listening. I’m not just saying that to force you to listen to the show, I just think there are a couple of reveals as we talk about our picks that make the picks all the more worthwhile. So I’m just going to post the movie and the role that was cast.

Dingus
3. The Amazing Spider-Man : Peter Parker
2. The Silence of the Lambs : Clarice Starling

1. The Silence of the Lambs : Hannibal Lecter

Kelly Wand
3. The Lord of the Rings : Gollum
2. Unbreakable : Mr. Glass

1. Star Wars : Han Solo

Tom Chick
3. The Pink Panther : Inspector Jacques Clouseau
2. Untitled : Chris Christie

1. Tommy Boy : Tommy

What are some weird casting choices you think would work in movies? Don’t think about fixing a movie by tinkering with casting, necessarily, but stretch a bit to come up with ideas for weird casting. Listen to the show to hear us go on about ours, and to hear Tom Chick read some listener picks.

Please write in for the next topic to [email protected].

Some things that came to mind while I was listening to your picks on the podcast:

• Matt Damon playing the part of Riddick in Pitch Black
  • Ed Harris in the place of Clint Eastwood in some Clint movie like Gran Torino
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution movie - directed by Neil Bloomkamp, with (obviously) Sharlto Copley as Adam Jensen
  • Silence of the Lambs: Emily Blunt as Clarice Starling, and Gary Oldman as Hannibal Lecter
  • Karl Urban as Batman

I know Dingus already broke the topic with his Joker casting, but I’d like to offer an alternative. One night I was watching Planes, Trains, and Automobiles and noticed Steve Martin had a particularly grim laugh while he and John Candy watched their rental car burn. I think Steve Martin could make a pretty good older Joker. I’m not looking for “The Jerk” Steve Martin, but the more subdued but occasionally manic Steve from Planes/Trains or Parenthood.

https://vine.co/v/O6eD3H22TB7

Even though I’ve enjoyed the Star Trek reboot movies, I just can’t get on board that they are real “Star Trek” movies. Some of that has to do with Chris Pine’s portrayal of Kirk, which is just feels odd to me. I’d like to cast Bruce Campbell as James T. Kirk. He’s got plenty of snarky/smarmy qualities, but also knows how to do comedy.

It’s quite derided, but I think there are some things about Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull that work well. One of the things that doesn’t work is Shia LaBeouf as Indy Jr. Instead, let’s make him a daughter and put Kate McKinnon-- just kidding… Who I really want to play Indy Jr. is Kristen Schaal, just because I love her and it’s weird.

My pick for the Joker role would be Robin Williams - not only because he was funny in that frantic way of his, but also because he proved he could play a creepy, unlikeable and unsettling character in August Rush. So I can imagine him nailing that funny/creepy duality that defines the Joker so well.

However, we’ll never get to know how good a Robin Williams Joker would be, and that makes me sad.