4K Netflix on PC

So for years I was told that I needed a Kaby Lake or better CPU and Microsoft Edge to play Netflix content at 4K on my PC. Don’t have the former, have no desire to use the latter, so I wrote it off despite having the UHD tier of Netflix (for multiple devices, not the quality) and a 4K display. But now I’m told that the Windows 10 Netflix app and a 10-series Nvidia GPU can achieve the same effect. I have one of those, and I’m way more willing to use a dedicated Netflix app than the pile of shit that is Edge. Except…I still can’t get it to acknowledge I have 4k.

It looks like my 4K monitor does not actually support HDCP 2.2, which is another key component of the equation. Well, I’m not buying another monitor of this size and resolution, because this was already kinda spendy. But it looks like there are converters that will take HDCP 2.2 stuff and pass it to a HDCP 1.4 HDMI port, which I do have. That said, ideally I’d like to keep using DisplayPort, as I currently am.

So my question is: what’s my best option here? Can people vouch for these converters? Is there something viable for DisplayPort? (preferably sold on Amazon because I have Prime shipping)

Do you not have any data caps with your ISP? That’s the main thing keeping me away from 4K.

I have a 1 TB cap. But I don’t stream that often and it’s relatively low usage compared to some other stuff I do even at 4K.

IMHO your best option is to buy a new 4K HDR large screen TV. Screw Netflix at a desk.

Sorry if not helpful :).

Yeah, well. A) There is no room or purpose for a TV bigger than maybe 40" in my apartment and no 4K HDR TV that small. B) I don’t have a couple grand spare lying around. And C) I haven’t turned on the TV I do have in something like 3 years. So no, that’s not fucking helpful.

By the way, 2018 edge is wonderful. I use it about 50% of the time (I still have chrome bookmarks I can’t be bothered to move over).
Anyway, good luck.

I’ve used it this year and can’t agree. But I have been experiencing ongoing issues with the Microsoft Store and Windows 10 apps in general so if you aren’t, I could see that.

Wasn’t trying to be confrontational. You’re struggling to decide if $50 is worth it… we can’t answer that for you. But my suggestion in a roundabout way gets to viewing distance, HDR, and screen size. Do you watch Netflix from close enough that the resolution bunp is highly visible? If so its a bit easier to justify. Does your monitor support HDR, and do those devices? To me HDR is just as important to the jump up to the current standard as the increase in resolution if not more important.

Personally I’d be looking to get Netflix to your TV, though I’m also assuming it’s a more comfortable seat and maybe a 36 inch decent 1080 TV; tell me about these guesses as they could be wrong too.

I’m not struggling to decide if $50 is worth it, I’m looking for recommendations on the best method of downgrading HDCP 2.2 to 1.4, preferably in a DisplayPort connection. Your response is not only completely irrelevant but also dismisses the entire premise of my post, and it’s kind of annoying to get that instead of the help I am actually asking for.

In the meantime, since no-one had feedback, I’ve ordered a downgrader (HDMI, because I wasn’t sure if the DisplayPort stuff I’ve seen even does that) and it’ll arrive tonight. Hopefully it was the right choice.

Ok dude. “Does anyone have experience removing the HDCP 2.2 requirement of Netflix streams, so I can watch in 4K on my HDCP 1.4 monitor? I prefer to use displayport”.

Much simpler way of asking. You wouldn’t have recieved a response (snarky like mine or otherwise) because it’s a poor question for this type of forum, but at least it would have been clear.

“What are my options?”, and your discussion of apps vs browser, triggered me to ask about the underlying reason for your query, in a roundabout way. You aren’t at all interested in that angle, and that’s ok. Peace!

For the record, the downgrader works - had to also install the HEVC codec off the Microsoft Store, and getting that to work eventually ended up requiring me to reset Windows, and the monitor only does 4k at 30 hz over HDMI (one reason I would have preferred to stick to DisplayPort), but I am getting true blue 4K over the Netflix app. A trifle pyrrhic, but a victory of sorts.

This is the device: