8th best game of 2019: Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

I tried it with an emulator recently. Yeah, dig not. :)

Did you try Privateer Gold?

I have not. How is it better? Please. I need some Privateer goodness.

It was an unfinished or mostly finished port for Win9x/Linux without being the DOS version to require DOSbox. It’s completely free so you can try it.

Ha ha, you guys thought Privateer would hold up!

You can even do that in Rebel Galaxy Outlaw? I guess it makes sense as a difficulty setting. But I’m afraid I wouldn’t have an appetite anymore for old-school “follow the cursor at the edge of the screen”. I could imagine turning off the aim assist, which is pretty generous in the default difficulty.

But, hey, I bet you got a cool Epic Games Store achievement for playing at that difficulty level. Oh, wait… :)

-Tom

Privateer’s space battles and graphics in general do hold up, especially given today’s retro aesthetics. What doesn’t hold up is the incredible amount of grind needed to advance.

no one is pining for an I-War remake.

This is incorrect.

What IS correct is that Privateer does not hold up. Sadly.

Same. Come on Tom, why ya gotta pick on my favorite space sim of all time?

Is there anything about Outlaw to change the mind of someone who doesn’t like the first Rebel Galaxy? Or is it just more of a refinement?

That was a great point Tom about turning in old dog fighting games. Made me smile.

It’s totally different @robc04

First one was a larger ships game. This is the second coming of Wing Command Privateer.

Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets (yeah, I went there, too).

I am on board with this.

Say what you will about the film as a narrative, the leads as actors, or the overall quality.

It was an immense visual and auditory treat all through. A triumph of imagination with an opening as good as anything sci fi since the original Star Destroyer rumbled overhead giving you that ‘oh shit’ feeling of scale.

This is my game of the year, unless I’m forgetting something (I may well be). I have had, and continue to have, a great time with this.

It’s totally my game of the year as well.

And it’s even coming to consoles soon! I like to think that’s happening because I hounded Travis about it in the game thread.

I guess I wrote Outlaw off too early!

And me. I tried playing Freespace 2 with a joystick a while back and I couldn’t even pass the tutorial. Just completely could not grok how it was supposed to work. The joystick has gathered dust ever since.

(Okay, so I also haven’t been playing them with a gamepad. or at all, really. But still!)

This makes my heart weep.

I thought I-War was brilliant, and the sequel too. The combat was great once you learned how to circle-strafe with your lateral thrusters. I still have my original boxed copy with the huge manual (remember those?!).

Also, I-War had autopilots, including a kind of pursuit mode.

Is the Valerian movie a hot mess? Maybe. Is it my idea of a great time at the movies? Absolutely.

Corrections:
“Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is also [a] smooth smooth smooth game”
“it[’]s currently using to bait its whales”

Correct.

So again, I actually think the space battle stuff holds up nicely. I don’t mind the sprites for the ships, and space is mostly just black stuff, which is not hard to render. The interiors of the ships in Wing Commander games have always been great.

The part that doesn’t hold up is the long slog of endless similar fights. There’s just not enough game going on. Had it actually simulated faction activity, like Pirates!, it would have been more interesting. Instead is just proc-gens enemies per mission.