A meta thread for video streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Disney, HBO, Warner, Prime, AppleTV, etc

HBO Max does have 4K support, actually, at least on some devices. There’s just very little 4K content - mostly just the stuff they’re simultaneously releasing in theaters.

Yeah it just doesn’t have 4k support on the PS5 specifically. Looks great on my smart tv app.

Btw, matrix in 4k looks great. It really helps eliminate the compression artifacts you see in the older versions

Yeah, the one month window sounds like a nice wide window in which to watch the movie, but I missed out on a few movies so far, including Dune.

Or, sadly, on PC. :/

Wait seriously? Lol I fuckin hate trying to play high def content on a pc

Netflix is AFAIK the only streaming service that offers 4K on PC, and even with them you need to have a number of different specific pieces to the setup - at least thus-and-so CPU, at least X generation of HDCP support on your card/monitor/cable, and use either Edge or the Microsoft Store Netflix app. And if you’re missing some piece of that it won’t tell you what. But fuck it, at least it does it. Everybody else if I want 4K it’s my TV, or the pirates.

Yeah. Google Play store video comes to mind. I think that shit is like 480p in FF, or at least it was a couple of years back. Madness.

So we wanted to watch terrible Hallmark and Lifetime Christmas movies, and this service has both.

It’s both live and on demand. You can use their “DVR” to record live stuff to later, and they have stuff you can watch whenever. We’ve watched a few movies so far and it’s not a bad service. It has commercials but with the DVR you can skip them thankfilly.

Probably gonna keep it past the week trial for one month to get our Hallmark Lifetime fill.

Brian, why do you hate yourself?

Why do you hate Christmas, I retort?

If you define Christmas via Hallmark and Lifetime movies, you have likely answered your own question. And established your future punishment in hell, if that be your fate. An eternity of Hallmark Christmas movies? Yeah give me the molten lava treatment instead, please. It would be less painful.

Please enjoy this viewing guide for this year’s Netflix-mas movies.

That’s awesome, lol.

As an aside, my second-favorite Christmas movie (after Die Hard) is Klaus. Highly recommended for anyone who hasn’t seen it.

Editor’s note: this is a secular story

Just got this. I’m confused. They’re offering me a free movie? But isn’t the entire point of the streaming service that I could watch that movie anytime already?

Here is the selection . It’s huge /s

The answer is Boogie Nights.

Well, no? Any streaming rental service, unless they directly financed the movie or show, will have it rotate out of their catalog sooner or later. If you own it, that shouldn’t go away.

Yeah, they are trying to get you to sign up for their Movies Anywhere service where you can purchase movies to keep in your digital library.

I love Klaus, but I’m going to take issue with it being secular. While something like 99% of the film indeed fits that description, the ending falls into non-descript spirituality. While it’s not specific about a particular religion, it is not strictly secular and has a pseudo-religious tint to it (again, only the very last part).

Another movie that does this but in a much subtler and ambiguous way (there’s nothing ambiguous about Klaus’s ending) is Tokyo Godfathers, one of my favorite Christmas movies (probably about Klaus and below Die Hard).

A heads up for people like me that swap services constantly.

If you don’t log into Netflix for 10 months they’ll delete your account and you’ll lose all your watched information.

Why? No fucking idea.
Apparently it’s my fault they didn’t put out anything I cared about much since the first Season of The Witcher and I’m being punished.

Yeah happened to me too. When I subscribed this time and had to start over, I unsubscribed and put that as my reason for unsubscribing.

It’s why I didn’t resub and I told the person trying to find my account that it was idiotic.

Not that it matters since Netflix probably cares about feedback from their customer service less than they do from me.

I have a WW2OL account that’s still good. I can log into it right now and keep all my stats and data.
Cornered RATS is not exactly super competent or big, yet they can manage to not delete my shit after a decade or more.

Netflix is angry that I wanted to watch What we do in the Shadows and now I must pay the penalty.