A meta thread for video streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Disney, HBO, Warner, Prime, AppleTV, etc

Yeah but if you’re gone long enough they also forget you’ve hard the service at all and give you a free month again, so there are counterbalances.

I’ve done this at least 3 times! I really could care less about my watch history. There are so many different ways to watch stuff, I need an external way to track everything anyhow.

Unless I tell them otherwise, I want companies to delete all my information as soon as I cancel. But I guess I’m weird.

Yup, I’ve had it happen quite a few times too and I’m absolutely fine with it, especially since I rarely need more than a month or two to watch everything of interest on the service.

Just to clarify, were you still paying, or had you cancelled and wanted to resub with your old account?

Yeah, doesn’t bother me either. All it does is feed recommendations, and I’m not impressed with Netflix in that regard.

I’d have cared more back when they had the 5-star rating system, the recommendations were considerably better back then. These days I agree they’re worthless, so who cares?

Interesting, they never offered me a free month. I wonder if I had to go to a special offer page or something?

I’ve always eventually gotten a marketing email with the free month offer. Last one was pre-pandemic though, so it’s possible they may have dropped that particular promotion since streaming subscriptions have been way up.

I did get a marketing email to return for $8.99, but I think that’s their normal non-HD price.

I like that Netflix deletes my information, but I wish they would give me a text string to export my profile status, like you do in a browser idle game. (Netflix is basically an idle game you only have to tap every hour or two.)

Does this not do that?

I mean, you can’t re-import it like an idle game, but if you just want an archive, I would have thought it would do.

Sorry, I did mean to re-import into Netflix after signing up again, but I didn’t say it. I’d forgotten about that export option!

God how is this Paramount+ app so terrible? We’re watching Voyager and it looks like a freaking VHS tape with scanning at the top. Also no skip intro button. And terrible captioning. My god.

I have some questions about streaming boxes. It might be dealt with somewhere in this mega-thread, but it is probably out of date if so. Our old (2016) Samsung TV has terrible aps and is slow and awkward in its handling of streaming services. Nearly everything we watch now though is via streaming services, and some we can’t get because the TV won’t handle their aps. So I’ve thought about an external streaming box, like Apple TV or Roku.

What do folks think about these? The requirements would be that the box offers a better experience than using the on-board TV aps, that it allows us to access any streaming service, and that either the box itself or via the TV like we do now supports Bluetooth headphones (my wife uses them a lot).

I’ve read up on things and the Apple hardware seems very nice. I have an iPhone and an iPad Pro, but no other Apple stuff, and don’t really care that much about all the Apple Borg integration. I just like good hardware. The Roku boxes are cheaper, but I’ve seen a variety of very mixed reviews about reliability, compatibility with headphones, etc.

I have an Ethernet connection for the TV right now, which would plug into any external box we got, so WiFi performance isn’t an issue.

Yes, get one. They’re extremely cheap these days. I suggest the GoogleTV.

Hmm, it looks nice, but it seems to be WiFi only? I want one with a hardwired connection to the router. My WiFi is not always as good as I’d like.

You can get an Ethernet adapter for the new Google TV Chromecast. Check the Google store.

Huh. That’s kind of clunky, but I guess it works. Brings the price up to around sixty which is still less than Roku and a lot less than Apple.

The only reason to get an AppleTV is for the Apple integration (well, and access to their good library of VOD 4K movies, but I consider that part of the integration). The other boxes are vastly better value for money and pretty much as good in every other respect, though each has pluses and minuses.