A meta thread for video streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Disney, HBO, Warner, Prime, AppleTV, etc

Yeah; kids are college will be shafted a bit, but such is life; perhaps it’s time to leave Netflix in the dustbin and stick with all the other alternatives.

Its fairly simple - its one account per household limitiation for an account. Its aways been thus - people just don’t care.

My kids are using it as well, even though they aren’t living at home - I will just upgrade to whatever subscription allows me to continue to pay it for them.

Edit: reading the linked article I see it says something different from what I read elsewhere about the option to pay for others outside the household - I guess we’ll see when netflix announces it themselves.

From the description in the article, that means an entirely new account.

aye - I just noticed that - I read something else on the danish sites, but we’ll see.

Ugh, this is gonna make traveling home for holidays obnoxious - gotta get a code to make the Rokus at my parents’ place work for a week at a time.

Yeah, I don’t share my account with anyone, and this sounds like it will make my user experience a pain in the ass when I travel or if I want to use my account at work or at my mom’s, etc.

I’m personally impacted, because I split a Family Plan with my brother, and one of the perks is Subsidies Netflix. We get the highest tier of Netflix, so we can use 4 screens simultaneously.

I’m not sure if I’ll sign up for Netflix or whether he’ll downgrade to something else, since its only him and his wife at home.

Between PBS Kids, Hulu and Disney, I’m not sure I need Netflix in my life right now.

Right, my expectation is this change will shift Netflix from a service everybody simply keeps active all year to one where you subscribe when a new big show comes out, then deactivate afterwards. That’s how pretty much every other service works other than Disney+ if you have kids.

You can download stuff to watch when travelling.

A download on my phone does very little for the TV in my old bedroom :-)

Actually, I am curious if you can cast to a chrome cast a show you downloaded, without logging in.

It hopes that by putting an end to account sharing, it will bring a new infusion of revenue to the company.

I think they’re in for a rude shock, people that aren’t paying now aren’t likely to start.

Looking at the outlined plan, it’s clearly going to break and lock people out of their accounts on a regular basis. This is going to end up being one of those “harass your legitimate customers into dropping you” moves.

Why would you not need to log in? Just use your own log in on the phone, and cast to whatever you want - Roku, Chrome Cast, Miracast, AppleTV

Well, that’s the thing. To cast, you need to connect to wifi network. Which seems to be were you get in trouble with Netflix, as it will automatically phone home, as it were, even when you are streaming downloaded shows.

Well yeah, the whole point is impacting people like you. They want for two people to paly for two accounts, instead of just one.
Or even more than you and your brother, people like me, I share one account at the highest tier that gives you four screens between four people, for four different households.

Maybe they only check your location on desktop and STBs. So only windows/MacOS/androidTV/TVos/Roku/FireTV. If you’re on android or iOS, no problem. That would make some sense.

Shrug. This was inevitable, I wouldn’t stress over it, just rethink whether you really want to stay subscribed to Netflix 12 months a year, particularly now that you won’t have half your family and friends bitching when you discontinue your subscription.

It does seem sensible to have a carve out for Android/iOS, but the help page doesn’t explicitly say so. But this seems to cover it regardless:

Signing into home Wi-Fi at least once every 31 days on your devices will make them “trusted devices,” which Netflix will remember and leave unblocked.

I currently split a plan with my parents. We leave it up 12 months a year because we never know when who is going to be using it. When this hits, we’ll all go back to what we did before: subbing for a month or two out of the year to see what we want to see, then cancelling.

So, their ingenious plan to add new subscribers will result in 4 paid months from 2 users instead of 12 paid months from one.

Due to our jobs we have two residences now. We watch Netflix in both. I wonder how this will work for us? I can guarantee we will not get a second subscription. Heck, we’re watching more Freevee now than anything else, thanks to watching Mad Men for the first time. Seven seasons is a lot of episodes!