A meta thread for video streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Disney, HBO, Warner, Prime, AppleTV, etc

I might send an old router or rpi or something running tailscale for my parents to plug in so I can authenticate on their network. Or I might not, seems like a hassle, and I’d have to do it on my androidTV and appleTV etc.

Plenty of workarounds if you are motivated enough.

How many people will just continue to pay $15 because the alternative will be having to talk to your family and ask them if they are still watching Netflix that month?

They’re clearly going to force you to re-verify every so often if you’re not on the account holder’s IP and not using a mobile device. Of course there are workarounds, the Rpi with tailscale, or setting up autoforwarders for SMS texts, etc. Normally I’m the one to do that sort of thing but I don’t really care all that much.

That’s what’s happening now, wisefool. After this change those people will be cut off unless everybody is willing to send codes back and forth every month or so.

Oh yeah. Okay, I guess I am willing to pass 4 digit codes to one person. Everyone else can go pay for their own account.

Audiophile tier should be $99/month. If it’s that cheap they aren’t gonna go for it.

Hey! I resent this comment, because if I could afford to be an audiophile I would! But it’s too expensive!

My friend was hawking Japanese sugar cubes and other imported goods for a while around here. The basic sugar cubes were $10. They were not selling. I told her to raise prices. I think I saw that in some Economist article. She raised them to $25, and they started selling.

I just listened to the audiophile clip and I honestly can’t tell between the stereo and the extra surround. They both sound pretty good. i’d need to hear the same thing for a few minutes in both modes. I’m using stereo desktop speakers. Maybe it does sound better on shitty tablet or laptop speakers but I mean… they are so terrible already.

Well, we don’t share our account with anyone, but for the past few days, Netflix has started signing us out of the app on Xbox and demanding reauthentication every time. Wonder if that’s due to some borked rollout supporting these changes.

We’re already doing the “occasionally activate for a month at a time” approach, but this is certainly going to drive us away from even doing that if they don’t fix it soon.

I am not going to stress over my grandma having to get her own Netflix (she’s more than financially equipped) but if they increase friction of actually using my own account by constantly making me go through the whole login process on non PC devices I don’t use often (which is all of them) I will go with a much easier alternative of not paying them.

Whenever audiophiles come up all I can think of is coat hangers.

I’m in the same boat and i think we’re screwed? We don’t share and only use one device at a time but fuck us i guess.

Seems like casting from a mobile device should still work in that situation provided you visit the “home” residence once a month.

No, it’s your account, they’ll just text you a code and you put it in. It’ll be annoying, but won’t stop you from using it.

Far as I can tell, Netflix still hasn’t officially announced their plans—most of the articles this week were based on a support page that changed and then was changed back.

It does sound like Jazar would be stuck though if the system relies on monthly authentication via signing in on the “home” network. That didn’t sound like it was based on authenticating with a code, but being on a specific network.

I’m not opposed to cracking down on password sharing, but all of these rumored enforcement strategies sound like they’ll be a little inconvenient.

I almost never use any streaming service on my phone at home; it will be an annoyance if I have to remember to “authenticate” at home before I travel. An exception for mobile apps would be nice.

They certainly won’t break peoples’ legitimate usecases. If you travel for a month your Netflix will still work, guaranteed. It will likely be a bit annoying on occasion, but your shows will play.

The amount of anger I’ve seen on the internet regarding this is kind of astonishing. Some of it is legitimate concern about people who travel frequently and are worried their account will be difficult to access, but the vast majority of complaints is just about people who are sharing accounts with friends or their adult siblings, etc. Seems like a lot of people are pissed off that they won’t be able to steal content from Netflix any more.

Pay for four screens, use four screens, ain’t stealing if those screens are on two IPs.

I’m just annoyed I’m going to have to go back to the cancel dance. They got more money from my family by allowing sharing (one subscription all year long) than they’re going to without it (2 subscriptions one or two months out of the year each). They don’t have remotely enough content to justify a year long sub for an individual.

That is how I feel.

My brother and I pay per Screen, not per house.

I can’t imagine many individual households are going to continue to maintain a 4 screen plan.

It’s going to be pretty funny when they lose a bunch of money from this.