A meta thread for video streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Disney, HBO, Warner, Prime, AppleTV, etc

Not surprising. Basically 2/3 of all Apple TV+ subscribers are getting it for free because they got a new Apple device.

On the other hand, it’s not as if Apple has any trouble generating monster revenue.

I don’t think it’s a freeloader problem, it’s still the lack of content. Until they get more content that will entice people to come and pay for the service, giving it away still seems like a good idea to me.

This is not streaming service news, but NBCSN, NBC/Comcast/Universal’s new sports channel, is shutting down at the end of the year, and they’re transferring sports that they have yet to air to USA Network. Which makes me wonder: Is USA Network content available to cord cutters, or is it still a cable-only channel?

Why didn’t Apple buy the new James Bond movie for $600M? I know that’s a lot, but doesn’t Apple have over $100B in the bank? That would be a nice boost to subscriber numbers. I’d sign up, get my free week, and probably pay for at least one month to watch the MMO sitcom and that soccer sitcom.

I’m honestly surprised it’s as low as 62%. I bet a majority of the people who are paying are on that bundle deal. I really can’t see how anyone would find value in it on a standalone basis.

“Freeloader problem” - as if Apple didn’t exactly intend this? Do they think that Apple is unaware that they’re giving out 18 months of free Apple TV+?

I didn’t even sign up for my free 6 months or whatever because I hate unsubscribing.

You really should, at some point, if only for Ted Lasso. I also really liked For All Mankind and Mythic Quest, but that may be because of personal taste. Ted Lasso is universal.

Well, apart from me. Did like your other two though.

Apple is about to report the first-ever $100 billion quarter. They don’t need to worry about people getting free Apple TV+.

I’ve watched Ted lasso, Central Park, and am watching For All Mankind now - great shows!

Mythic Quest was also a surprising delight - especially the incredibly good quarantine episode.

Just set a reminder in your phone to cancel!

But they keep extending the date of the free trial! Maybe that’s their secret strategy. Give it away for free for so long that everyone’s cancel reminders will no longer apply. Then get at least 1 month of charges from everyone. Profit!!!

CBS All Access has a code for a free month (FOOTBALL) - code expires today 1/24/21 so grab it if you want it!

Thanks, been thinking I should grab it again for a month to watch the latest Discovery season.

Woohoo! Thanks!

I really hated leaving The Stand unfinished. I love that show.

In a rare streaming consolidation move, Peacock will be the exclusive home of WWE Network in the US, folding the $10/mo service into its $5 and $10 tiers:

Huh. I didn’t know Peacock had two tiers.

That reminds me, I’ve sort of mentioned it here before for Peacock, but whoever it was upthread who recommended Pluto TV, thank you so much. It’s pretty cool sometimes just to switch to a “channel” and watch whatever is on. But the channels on Peacock and PlutoTV are so specific, it’s way better than traditional cable. For example, Peacock has a “channel” that plays old Saturday Night Live episodes 24/7. PlutoTV has a channel that plays Rifftrax 24/7, Peacock has a channel that shows Late Night With Seth Meyers episodes all day, PlutoTV has a channel that shows old MST3K episodes 24/7, Peacock has a liberal commentary channels with people like Sam Seder on there, PlutoTV has a Wings Channel, a Family Ties Channel, a Star Trek Channel, a James Bond channel, a Love Boat channel, a Bob Ross channel, a bunch of documentary channels, and a channel called Slow TV which shows weird stuff with no commentary like Norwegian train journeys.

Anyway, I confess I never watch any of these channels past a commercial break, just like with old Cable tv channels, but still, it’s kind of cool to have the old “channel surfing” feeling back sometimes, and it’s all free, you don’t have to subscribe to either Peacock or PlutoTV to get access to these.

Oh yeah, I’m very off and on with my viewing but love knowing that Pluto is there for when I want some background noise - I think the term they’re going with these days is “ambient TV”. For a while I was tuning in to their game show channel (Buzzr) for old episodes of Supermarket Sweep every night. Looks like there’s a 24/7 Price is Right channel now so I may have to check that out.

This is why humans can’t have nice things. The drive to free pushes companies to make lots of decisions. For example, the fact that consumers make their travel decisions almost entirely based on price means tinier and tinier seats, fewer options, more price gouging, etc.

Wasn’t the original selling point of Tivo that you could skip ads with it?

Look at where that lead though. Tivo sales are down compared to back in those days. Because people miss ads, clearly.