A meta thread for video streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Disney, HBO, Warner, Prime, AppleTV, etc

Poor Discovery+. No one has even mentioned it yet! Same with Epix and Max Go and Starz and Showtime, each of which have their own.

Whenever I’ve gotten Domino’s pizza lately, their app keeps reminding me that they’re giving me a code to get a month of the Epix premium app for free. But I haven’t bothered taking them up on it.

I currently pay for zero video streaming services.

Prime is active, but only because my Discover card gave me 3 free months.

Hulu is active, but only because it comes with my Spotify subscription. That will go away if I ever change my Spotify plan since it’s grandfathered in.

At some point I’ll pick up a service for a month, watch stuff, cancel, move on to the next one. As it has always been.

Having just gotten Apple TV + again, I was browsing around and sorta surprised by the utter lack of content. It’s been over a year, Apple. C’mon. You’ve got more money than god.

This resumes on 2/18, one episode per week.

You guys managing your subscriptions on a monthly basis are better than me. I have too many people in my household watching different things. My current line-up:

1. Netflix - since the DVD days
  2. HBOMax - AT&T gives me this free!
  3. Disney+ - Kids like Disney/Pixar movies, I like Mandalorian and WandaVision and looking forward to lots more SW/Marvel content.
  4. CBS All Access - ST: Discovery & Picard, The Stand, and recently added Nickelodeon catalog that my son loves.
  5. Shudder - My daughter just got into horror movies so we’ve been making good use of this.
  6. Amazon Prime - Been a Prime subscriber since it was just shipping.
  7. SlingTV - Subscribed for election season to watch live news. Going away shortly.

I actually subbed to Showtime+ this month to watch the newest season of Shameless and a stupid show called The Affair that I saw the first season of on Pluto and wanted to finish up. Not much else their though so I imagine this is an easy one for people to only signup for once a year.

I’ve only ever dropped VRV, which when I subscribed had: Shudder, Mubi, the premium stuff Geek and Sundry were doing at the time, premium Critical Role (whatever that gets you, it wasn’t exactly the main draw for me), Funimation, at one point had Stargate SG-1, some other stuff. When I unsubscribed they had lost all of the above and the only new addition was Hi-Dive, which didn’t appear to have more than one or two shows I was terribly interested in. So the only thing that I was still watching at all on VRV was Crunchyroll content, and Crunchyroll’s own subscription is cheaper. But I’m not subscribed to Crunchyroll either, because I don’t watch that much anime. I was on VRV for Shudder and Mubi and some of their select content, and Crunchyroll was a bonus. It’s an idea I liked, but apparently they couldn’t keep partners.

So now I’m just subbed to Shudder. (Of the above.) Oh well.

I dropped CBS All Access after the one free month trial, because it didn’t have anything on it worth watching. All the Star Trek shows are on Crave here in Canada, so, that left… um, old NCIS episodes? I also subbed to Britbox for a month once, and cancelled it after my wife watched all of its crime dramas in a festival of binge watching. That’s the good thing about short British series lengths.

Currently I have:

Netflix: Perm’d
Amazon Prime: Perm’d for Shipping mostly
Disney+: Perm’d
Funimation: Perm’d
VRV: Perm’d for Anime. May be able to drop once the Funimation and Crunchyroll merge.

HBO Max: Comes with my cable sub through Comcast.
Showtime Now: Comes through Comcast as well.
Apple TV+: Came with an iPad I won at a work raffle for Christmas 2019. Still hasn’t expired.

CBS All Access: Not current. Sub’d once to watch all the new Star Trek shows. Nothing else of interest.
Hulu: Have had an occasional sub for exclusive stuff. Not current.

Oh wow, I just realized some of you still have cable. My mind is blown. I haven’t had cable since about 2011 or 2012, I forgot exactly when I cut the cord. How much does that cost? I’m assuming it’s a cable+internet package? I think back when I quit, they used to charge around $170 a month for cable+internet, including DVR and fees and all that. Is it still in that ballpark?

My folks still have cable. It’s always exciting to get the remote and see what is on, then I flip through 100 stations, realize I’m not interested in watching anything that is on and remember why I stopped paying for cable.

Are you really watching that much that’s not just on Crunchyroll? because CR is cheaper.

I get VRV too, because it has Hi-Dive as well. As well as stuff like Harmonquest. I think I got the English dub of Haiyakuu (S3) on Hi-Dive (Crunchyroll only had the Sub), and Hi-Dive also had the first Season of Final Space. And there’s still that Galactic Conquest anime you guys recommend that I haven’t seen that’s on Hi-Dive.

Yeah, it used to be Funimation for dubs, CR for subs. When Funimation bailed, they brought in Hi-Dive for dubs. Since I feel dubs should be purged with torches and pitchforks, it wasn’t all that much use to me.

HiDive has the exclusive on some classics that I’m watching like Patlabor and Legend of Galactic Heroes, so that’s why I do CR and HD via VRV (I mostly watch CR and didn’t specify VRV because I wasn’t sure if enough people knew about VRV, but now I see that I was wrong, LOL).

I still have Comcast cable plus internet because it’s bizarrely cheaper than a comparable Internet Only package in my area, and I’m a creature of habit since I grew up during the cable era. I did cut the cord completely at my previous place but after a recent move, Xfinity cable plus internet is the only viable option.

Yeah, HiDive has some cool classic stuff, and they also get some dubs that CR does not like the Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon. But their acquisitions recently feel like they’ve really slowed down.

I live with family still dependent on cable. We actually just switched from Dish to Xfinity and are saving a bit while upgrading our internet speed to 1Gbps from 250Mbps and adding free HBO Max and Showtime. The big win is we only need a single DVR now and can watch everything else through the Xfinity app on the Rokus on every other TV in the house at no extra charge. That’s a big savings versus the extra ~$14 per TV in equipment. We pay like $160 a month now, including the $30 fee for no bandwidth cap. When we were paying for internet and Dish separately it was like $115 for internet and $140 for Sat with the Hopper and 4 TVs.

Just checked mine and it’s also extended to July. Guess I will get to watch more For All Mankind for free after all.

It almost feels like they are trying to pad their subscription numbers because they aren’t seeing expected organic signups… I’m hoping my free sub lasts long enough for Foundation to hit. Maybe this will carry us through to another season of Ted Lasso as well?

They will do a series based on The Godfather. That could be interesting, but how can it do justice to the first two movies?

We have Netflix and Prime, both permanent, probably. We also have HBO Max included with our AT&T subscription, which we get for $10/month with an AT&T employee discount. That gives us Encore as well.

So we’re good. That’s more TV than we ever watch. We will sometimes subscribe to a British TV service like Britbox to get those good BBC mystery and detective shows.

I may get Apple TV to watch that comedy show about the game development company that does an MMO. I wouldn’t mind the new Viacom channel for Picard and Discovery. If I ever get these it will be to binge these series in a month or two.

I dunno – there’s so much more TV than I can watch.

Oh, and we sub to Starz every year to watch Outlander. When the series is over we cancel it.