A Series of Unfortunate Events - Netflix

The Netflix adaptation is up and is getting good reviews. Stars Neil Patrick Harris and Patrick Warburton and numerous others in bit parts. First season covers the first 4 books as four two part episodes. I’ve only watched the first books worth of material, but it’s good, and the two parter could easily stand a film IMO.

Oooh looks good, I gotta reactivate my Netflix, I am behind on so many shows.

I was excited to watch the first episode and it didn’t disappoint me. Didn’t know a thing about Lemony Snicket but I can’t wait to plow through the rest of the episodes.

NPH is awesome in this. It is overall very surreal and weirdly funny. The storytellers hyperbole is brilliant and I love how they constantly correct often repeated mistakes in the use of English language. Finished episode 1+2 and my wife is totally in love with it as well.

This something that repeats through the series.

Show feels a lot like Sonnenfeld going back to his Addams Family roots, but with a little Wes Anderson influence mixed in.

I think it’s more that Wes Anderson is Sonnenfeldish to begin with (though Anderson would never do so many zooms!)

Anyhoo, based on the first couple of episodes it’s Sonnenfeld’s best stuff in years - this is a perfect fit for the tools he honed in the Addams family movies. I’ve only read the first book, and based on that I never pictured the narrator as a Patrick Wharburton type - but it turns out Wharburton is perfect for deadpan woe.

I always liked the explaining-the-meaning-of-words gag. It’s a clever way of flattering the kid audience and educating them at the same time. Of course kids know what this word means, but we stupid adults will just explain it anyway.

fiancee immediately mentioned Pushing Daisies while we were watching