A Song of Ice and Fire

You’re being irritated by two letters. That’s preeetty nitpicky.

If we are counting overuse of certain words in his books I would like to add “blurted” to the list.

The official atlas it due to come out at the end of the month, FYI.

— Alan

You have got to be night soiling me, that’s more than the hardcover edition of A Dance with Dragons. It’s just a poster of maps?

The map “book” is out. Got mine delivered this morning.

It’s not so much a book or atlas as it is a paper box with a collection of 12 glossy, poster-sized maps, 2x3 feet each. And they’re damn beautiful, to boot. The crown jewel is the Map of the Known World, which finally puts Essos and Westeros in relation to one another for the first time. This is canon, too. GRRM oversaw the details.

We then get a bunch of maps focused in on regions. And we get a couple of detailed city maps.

In the package

The Known World
Slaver’s Bay
The Dothraki Sea
Beyond the Wall
Westeros
The Free Cities
Central Essos
The East
King’s Landing
Braavos
Journeys

Got mine yesterday too, well worth the $$$.

Are there any revelations about Asshai and Yi Ti?

Either way, I can’t not buy this.

Hmm… might have to add that to my wishlist for the holidays…

Wish Barnes & Noble had this for the same price…been trying to spend a $25 gift code there for months now.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html

A new teaser chapter from Winds of Winter. No reading if you hate spoilers.

And I’m really surprised Woolen hasn’t already posted this.

Goddamnit, I want moaaaaaaar. Dorne is finally getting good. And I like how we’re finally getting a sense of how C’s arrival in Westeros is shaking up the power dynamic. Fear and confusion everywhere!

And we at least now know where Aurane Waters went with those ships.

I haven’t seen Season 3 or read books 4 and 5, but I had to comment on the Red Wedding.

I’m surprised how little it upsets me now. I was a bit bummed the night after I read it. Then I continued reading, and I was swept up in all the other events that happened. Those characters seem almost boring now. They were killed off at just the right time.

I read all the articles on viewer reaction to the Red Wedding. I know the characters are developed more in the television series, so it hurts more, even for people who already read that scene. But I wonder if the impact was greater because viewers don’t get the distraction of all the events that came afterward.

Then again, I’m sure some readers felt upset longer than I did. So I don’t know.

Is it too early to start clamoring for the next book?

I felt the same during reading. It also was not as surprised as the first Loss. During reading, before I hit RW, I remember thinking that Rob was featured less and less and when featured it was usually a quick Hey! He won something. The character wasn’t fitting into the world very well - he wasn’t as flawed and conflicted. I was not surprised when the character was removed from the story.

I was hoping the thread bump was news that the book was coming along. Has George written anything yet?

Of course not, it’s football season.

Regarding the RW: I was more upset at the blow to the Stark’s overall family/cause than the individual characters. It seemed to seal their fate.

So I finally got the mass paperback version of Dances With Dragons. At the start of the book is an acknowledgement from GRRM that is has been a long time coming. Yea think.

So anybody have a good web site I can go to for a recap of books 1-4 so I don’t have to re-read them to remember all the stuff that is going on. Some place with no spoilers of book 5. I will probably just try wiki.

The Tower of the Hand has a great feature where you select which books you’ve read and they only show data related to those books.

Thanks. That is what I am looking for.