A Spreadsheet to the Stars (or my Aurora AAR)

Thanks, I’ll be using your AAR to learn the ropes I think, the pictures particularly are useful.

February, 2025
Due to the growing population of R’isa (formerly Prime-A V), Administrator Tampa_Gamer has been dispatched to begin governing the new colony. The 23rd Combat Brigade has also been transferred to R’isa and placed under the Governor’s control to provide security for Imperial assets. Due to his expertise in mining administration (25% Mining Bonus) Administrator Seppe has been transferred to Prime-A IV, our burgeoning new mining colony. Mining colonies on Prime-A II and Prime-A IV-5 were likewise given administrators to oversee development.

Being that Prime-A IV is so extremely rich in minerals it has been designated as our primary off planet mining colony, and will receive the lion’s share of mines and resources from the homeworld. At current extraction rates Prime-A IV has thousands of years of deposits that should provide us with resources well into the future.

The vast mineral wealth of Prime-A IV.

After completing his mission to deploy LordMortis’ expert to their dig site, Commodore Strange is ordered to begin training maneuvers in the inner system with the 1st Strike Group to prepare our combat officers for combat.

March, 2025
Thanks to the growing population of R’isa and the trade opportunities it presents the Proudfoot Transport line (Sorry about the name… it’s random and I can’t find a way to change it :P) has commissioned it’s first freighter and is beginning to haul extra infrastructure to R’isa as well as trade good which will eventually start generating more wealth for our citizens.

This month also saw the discovery of two new jump points in the Prime system. Plans for a new jump capable scout to check new systems before we send expensive ships through has been completed, but it will be some time before we have shipyard capacity to spare for construction.

Designed to be light, cheap, and fast it’s main goal is to flit around newly discovered systems with it’s active sensors lit up like a beacon to see if anything comes to destroy it. Younger fleet officers are already jockeying to not be assigned to the first Sprint Class ships put into service.

Sprint class Jump Scout    3,950 tons     374 Crew     628.2 BP      TCS 79  TH 300  EM 0
3797 km/s    JR 3-50     Armour 1-22     Shields 0-0     Sensors 15/15/0/0     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 0
Maint Life 2.46 Years     MSP 199    AFR 62%    IFR 0.9%    1YR 45    5YR 682    Max Repair 156 MSP

J5000(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 5000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3
Ion Engine E9 (5)    Power 60    Fuel Use 90%    Signature 60    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 250,000 Litres    Range 126.6 billion km   (385 days at full power)

LR Active Sensors (1)     GPS 4800     Range 37.2m km    Resolution 60
SR Active Sensor (1)     GPS 80     Range 4.8m km    Resolution 1
Thermal Sensor TH2.5-15 (1)     Sensitivity 15     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  15m km
EM Detection Sensor EM2.5-15 (1)     Sensitivity 15     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  15m km

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Our faith in Prof. Daehawk has not been misplaced, and he has successfully completed field tests on a new beam weapon for our fleet. The R2/C1 Meson Cannon uses a 12cm Focusing Lens to deliver a beam of mesons that can penetrate both shields and armor with ease. Next he is assigned to work on a new, small beam fire control system designed to be mounted in our new fast attack craft design once all the proper components are researched.

April, 2025
Prof. Daehawk swiftly completes work on the fire control system. While other projects might have been a better use of his time, Prof. Daehawk insists on tinkering with his new meson beam designs and sets about making improvements to the focusing element to improve it’s effective range.

A forth jump point has been discovered in the outer system of Prime. Construction of a jump gate to reach the other end of the first jump point we discovered continues apace and it should be completed in a few more months according to Cmdr. WYBaugh and his engineers.

Due to the swift colonization of R’isa small protests have at times erupted demanding better living conditions. By order of the Emperor these protests are promptly put down by Governor Tampa_Gamer and the 23rd Infantry Brigade as they happen and the instigators summarily executed.

May, 2025
The 1st and 2nd GeoSurvey Groups have completed surveys of most major planets and moons in the Prime system and begin surveying the large asteroid belt orbiting Prime-B.

June, 2025
All potential locations of jump gates in the prime system have been surveyed. The 1st and 2nd GravSurvey Groups are ordered back to the homeworld for repairs, refitting, overhauls, and then ordered to stand ready for the completion of the first jump gate so they can explore and survey the first new system.

An emergency FTL transmission arrives from Commodore Strange. There’s been a small explosion in a missile tube aboard Carrack 001. No one was injured and maintenance crew have already repaired much of the damage, but the 1st Strike Group is ordered back to R’lyeh from training maneuvers off R’isa for repairs and overhauls.

(I should probably mention maintenance real quick. Basically ships with a military component are classed as a military ship and can suffer from maintenance problems. Each military ship has a overhaul clock and the higher that clock gets the more chance of there being a problem on the ship. Each ship keeps repair parts on board and I’ve made sure to design my ships with plenty of repair parts, but problems still come up. Sending a ship back to port for an overhaul resets the clock.

On a military ships vitals (like the one above) there are some values that concern maintenance that you need to keep an eye on when designing ships. IFR is the percent chance of a random component failing every 5 days, AFR is the annual chance that something will fail. Maintenance Capacity is the amount of points a ship has to repair maintenance damage, and Max Repair is the repair cost of the most expensive component on the ship. If you want to avoid a ship getting stranded if the wrong component fails you should add engineering access to ships until the Maintenance Capacity is higher than the Max Repair.)

July, 2025
The first new troops of the Imperial Army have completed basic training and are currently on maneuvers with General Archinerd. They are only a garrison battalion, but on the defensive they are the equal of a mobile infantry battalion and cheaper to support and produce.

FTL comms from Cmdr. WYBaugh report the first jump gate has been completed! We don’t at this point know what’s on the other side… it could be an empty system, or it could be a full system filled with another races warships. Cmdr. WYBaugh has been ordered to hold station and await the arrival of Commodore Strange’s Strike Group before entering the gate. Likewise the 1st and 2nd GravSurvey Groups are ordered to stand by at the jump gate and prepare to jump after the 1st Strike Group goes through.

(This is a bit risky for us since our combat ships aren’t jump capable and there’s currently no gate on the other side to send our ships back, but our home system is relatively secure and I want to get started with surveys in the new system without waiting for another gate to complete. Sending in the 1st Strike Group could be doubly bad if there’s a large enemy force in the system, but you can’t take over the galaxy without breaking a few eggs. :P This is also why we’ve started developing a jump scout so we can take a peak around a new system without endangering half our fleet. :)

In retrospect I really should have just detached a small destroyer or even a survey ship to make sure there was nothing too dangerous in the new system, but live and learn.)

August, 2025
With a flash of light the 1st Strike Group vanishes through the jump gate and appears elsewhere in the galaxy!

The Ross 248 system.

A side view of Ross 248.

Planet breakdown of Ross 248.

Upon arrival Commodore Strange immediately orders shields up and active sensors engaged. As HMS Hound and HMS Brout appear through the jump gate and begin moving to survey nearby for jump points, the 1st Strike Group takes up a defensive position to defend the Y-4 001 as it begins constructing their way back to Prime over the next few months.

September, 2025
Construction efforts on R’lyeh begin to bear fruit as R’lyeh Intergalactic Spaceport is completed. Construction efforts are reshuffled a bit and construction of a financial center on R’lyeh now begins in earnest.

(Spaceports increase the speed that ships load and unload on the planet their built, and allow civilian freighters to start moving around trade goods. These trade good also include civilian made infrastructure that they will move to R’isa for us that will greatly help in increasing the population there.)

October, 2025
Thanks to increased trade profits, Proudfoot Transport Services has launched a second freighter. This is great news and means more money for our private sector and more infrastructure headed to R’isa.

November, 2025
Cmdr. Jubarensis files a historic report! He and the crew of HMS Brout have discovered the first extra solar jump point in the Ross 248 system! It will be some time before we’ll be able to exploit it, but it’s good to know Ross 248 isn’t a dead end.

Shortly after Cmdr. xwraith reports a second jump point in the Ross system and that they have surveyed all potential sites in the system. They are to report to the jump point back to Prime and await the completion of the jump gate back.

With no threats found yet in the Ross system Commodore Strange is ordered to make an active sensor pass of all the major planets in the inner system to verify there are no threats.

4 new battalions of mobile infantry have completed training on R’lyeh and are currently on maneuvers until their designated headquarters is completed.

A brilliant young scientist has recently graduated R’lyeh University with honors, and due to his brilliance in the development of our early missile weapons he has been given a seat on the Scientific council. Most of our scientific establishment are currently busy with other projects, but one lab is freed up for his use and Professor Shinjin is ordered to start initial work on a smaller, more efficient missile launcher design.

December, 2025
Our initial run of infrastructure has been completed on R’lyeh and industrial resources have been reassigned to existing projects.

We still need names for ships! I’ll just start naming them if I need to, but I just wanted to give everyone who wants to the chance to at least name their ships. I’ll also probably start giving our planets official names soon so I can keep better track of them. :P

Lastly if anyone would like the honor of renaming the Ross system we could use something a little better than that.

Just the initial post had me excited for the possibilities. I’ll be especially interested to see the differences your choices make vis a vis the style I played.

I would have liked a ship named Janster, its such a regal name, I’m 100% you will find me a spot amongst the fleet finest.

I wanted a ship and you put me in charge of some rocks!

I can name the rocks if you want.

But you are already a ship…

hehe Don’t worry we’ve got plenty of ships (and planets!) to name… throw out a few. You also just got a medal (check the Personnel Matters post above). :)

We’re starting to get more ships out of the shipyards now too, so there will be some significant transfers and new assignments before too long.

Lastly, I finally got the first post here edited with current ranks and assignments. I’ll be trying to keep that as updated as possible.

February, 2026
Cmdr. xwraith reports HMS Hound has suffered some problems with it’s Grav Survey sensors requiring most of it’s spare parts to repair. The ship is scheduled for an overhaul once it returns to Prime.

Another garrison battalion has completed training on Prime and more troops begin to enter Basic Training.

Speaking of returning to Prime, Cmdr. WYBaugh reports construction of the return gate from the Ross system is complete! 1st and 2nd Grav Survey Groups along with the 1st Strike Group are ordered back to R’lyeh to refit and refuel. This happens none too soon as on the return jump HMS Octopoda (formerly Carrack 001) suffers another failure in a launch tube requiring it to stand down temporarily for repairs. It is shuffled to the front of the overhaul lists and Commodore Strange is ordered to begin keeping a closer eye on his technicians.

March, 2026
Cmdr. WYBaugh and Y-4 001 arrive at the second jump point in the Prime system and begin construction of a new gate.

Two new Galleon Class Freighters are completed at R’lyeh and added to Cmdr. Holman’s 1st Cargo Group, bringing it up to 6 freighters.

April, 2026
A replacement battalion is completed on R’lyeh.

(Replacement battalions have poor stats, but in the event of battle, troops are taken from them and moved to replace casualties in combat units. It’ll still be a while before that happens most likely, but I’m trying to keep a few around for the future)

May, 2026
Two new Brigade Headquarters units finish training on R’lyeh and all our unassigned mobile infantry battalions are placed under their command.

Construction of our first Mu Class asteroid miner has been completed! It will wait at R’lyeh for a bit until her sister ship is completed and then they will make their way to Prime-B and begin mining asteroids.

The overhaul and standard maintenance of the 1st Strike Group is complete. Commodore Strange is ordered to resume combat exercises in the Prime inner system.

June, 2026
Mu 002 is completed and it joins Mu 001 as they begin to slowly make their way to Prime-B

Continuing to be our most prolific scientist Prof. Daehawk and his teams finish research into Meson Focusing Technology 2. Against his better judgement Prof. Daehawk and his teams begin a crash program to produce a larger Fire Control system for fleet ships.

July, 2026
Prof. Daehawk finishes work on the new Fire Control system, but this time he is adamant about continuing his work on perfecting Meson beams and work begins on a functional prototype for a new Meson Beam using his revolutionary new Focusing Lens.

Ordinance Factories on R’lyeh continue to churn out missiles and we now have sizable stockpiles of Size 4 Anti-Ship Missiles and newer Size 1 Anti Missile Missiles.

Spurred into action by Prof. Daehawk’s continued successes Prof. tgb and his teams finally perfect new enhancements to the standard boring units used by mines across the Empire. Productivity in all mines increases across the board thanks to his efforts. Prof. tgb loudly complains of wasting his skills on construction projects and so is allowed to begin new work in his field of logistics: a new command module that we hope to be able to use in future fighter designs, although much work in this field will need to be done before we can field any.

August, 2026
A regular renaissance is underway on R’lyeh! Prof. Granite reports success in the theoretical designs for an engine for fast attack craft. Work immediately begins on a working prototype.

September, 2026
Troubling news is sent via secure FTL from General LordMortis at the Archaeological dig. Lt. Cmdr. Hydrakadabra a well respected historian and member of his team has been found dead of unknown causes. General LordMortis does not currently suspect foul play, but he is clearly concerned and has undertaken the construction of considerable fortifications around the dig site.

Construction of the 2nd Jump Gate in Prime is complete! The last exploration attempt having gone so well Commodore Strange’s group is left to continue training exercises and HMS Hound and HMS Brout are ordered along with Y-4 001 to enter the gate and survey the system on the other sise.

Prof. Granite completes work on the prototype engine and begins work on an entirely new project, a more powerful energy capacitor to improve our existing powerplant designs.

Construction of our first Terraformer is complete! Theta 001 and her sister ship are ordered to make best speed to R’isa where they will begin the slow process of terraforming the planet. R’isa has a thick atmosphere 3 times as dense as R’lyeh, and so the first step will be to entirely remove the deadly methane from the atmosphere before draining it of some Nitrogen and then finally adding Oxygen.

Terraforming R’isa

Cmdr. MrBismark and his geology team have finally had success! 200k tons of new Duranium deposits have been found on R’lyeh. A new geology team under Cmdr. Yibb-Bunny is formed and both teams are ferried to R’isa and Prime-A IV to begin more surveys.

2 new Lancer Class Destroyers have been completed and have been added to Commodore Strange’s group. We are lacking currently in qualified officers to man them, but new promotions after the new year should give us enough new Captains to see them properly led. One of these new ships is dubbed HMS Nautilus at the behest of Commodore Strange.

Cmdr. xwraith aboard HMS Hound enters the second Jump Gate and finds himself in a new star system!

The Barnard’s Star system

Planet Overview

Side View

Cmdr. WYBaugh follows the scout ships through and begins construction of a return jump gate.

October, 2026
Construction of 3 new Delta Class GravSurvey ships is completed at R’lyeh. One is dubbed HMS Einstein.

That commander Nelson sure is doing a great job. :D

Great AAR, so far. I’m looking forward to more.

I got in a good amount of time last night, but somehow a bit of the event log got cleared out unexpectedly. There’s only a gap of about 4 or 5 months, so I’ll probably just pick things back up for where I have records and carry on from there. In the future I’ll start saving off a copy of the log every year to make sure I have everything.

There’s quite a few interesting events coming up as well as some promotions and new assignments.

This should tease things nicely

Interim
Our Imperial Mining Colony of Prime-A IV has been renamed LV 426.

Prof. Daehawk completes work on a new heavier Mason beam prototype and begins research on a turret design to house 3 of these new 14cm meson beams.

A series of Mass Drivers are ordered constructed on R’lyeh to eventually transport minerals cheaply and effectively from LV 426 to R’lyeh.

Commanders xwraith and Nelson have been promoted to Captain. Effective immediately they are assigned to the latest ships of the fleet. Captain Nelson is assigned to HMS Nautilus, Captain xwraith to Lancer 006.

All GravSurvey groups are ordered through the Jump Gate to Barnard’s Star to begin looking for new pump points.

Cmdr. MrBismark has been relieved of command of his Geology group and assigned to R’lyeh for training to prepare to take command of the first of a new class of long range jump scouts. Because of the lack of Naval Yards capable of building military ships the Emperor has ordered the design and construction of a civilian version of the Sprint Class Jump Scout that can be built in one of our more plentiful civilian Naval Yards.

While vastly heavier than the Sprint Class ship it was designed to compliment, the Gorz Class Jump Scout is on the small side by civilian standards. It’s two Geologic sensors will allow it to enter new jump points upon discovery and scan all system bodies to ensure they are free of other intelligent life.

Gorz class Jump Scout    21,700 tons     416 Crew     783.6 BP      TCS 434  TH 900  EM 0
2073 km/s    JR 2-25(C)     Armour 1-69     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/2     Damage Control Rating 7     PPV 0
MSP 158    Max Repair 156 MSP

JC37K Commercial Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 37500 tons    Distance 25k km     Squadron Size 2
Ion Engine E0.9 (6)    Power 150    Fuel Use 9%    Signature 150    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 100,000 Litres    Range 92.1 billion km   (514 days at full power)

Geological Survey Sensors (2)   2 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

January, 2027
Fleet engineers have been hard at work and thanks to new advances from the Science Council, plans have finally been drawn up for our new Fast Attack Craft design:

Weighing in at a meager 1000 tons the Wasp FAC is a general purpose craft designed to operate in close proximity to Imperial worlds and fleet to swiftly intercept and overwhelm invading ships with a massive amount of meson fire. Prof. Granite’s excellent reactors mean even ships as small as the Wasp can mount 2 meson beams to provide an impressive amount of close range fire support to protect heavier fleet missile ships.

Wasp class Fast Attack Craft    1,000 tons     135 Crew     105 BP      TCS 20  TH 120  EM 0
6000 km/s     Armour 1-8     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 8
Maint Life 13.65 Years     MSP 66    AFR 8%    IFR 0.1%    1YR 1    5YR 10    Max Repair 30 MSP

FAC Ion Engine (1)    Power 120    Fuel Use 900%    Signature 120    Armour 0    Exp 15%
Fuel Capacity 40,000 Litres    Range 8.0 billion km   (15 days at full power)

R2/C1 Meson Cannon (2)    Range 20,000km     TS: 6000 km/s     Power 4-1     RM 2    ROF 20        1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
LAC-1 Fire Control (1)    Max Range: 30,000 km   TS: 1250 km/s     67 33 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Stellarator Fusion Reactor Technology PB-1 (1)     Total Power Output 6    Armour 0    Exp 5%

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

It will be some time before fleet shipyards will be free enough to begin construction, but the inclusion of the Wasp into the Imperial Fleet should greatly expand our capabilities.

February, 2027
New reports from the HMS Octopoda indicate another missile launcher has malfunctioned. General Archinerd is contacted and small squads of his special forces teams are spread throughout the fleet to make sure these problems are truly random.

Bad news from Cmdr. Montag in charge of the 1st Colony Group. While helping prep new colonists for departure his left hand was badly frozen in a freak accident. While he survived and has recovered enough to continue duty, his long term health has definitely been effected.

March, 2027
Gravity surveys of the Barnard’s Star system are completed. 2 new jump points to places unknown have been discovered.

Another promising young scientist from R’lyeh University has graduated and because of his potential been given a seat on the Science Council. Prof. Gtha is an expert with Sensors and Fire Control systems and has immediately begun work using a freed up lab on increasing the useful range of our beam fire control systems.

The jump gate back to Prime from Barnard’s Star is completed and Cmdr WYBaugh is ordered back through and told to begin construction of a new jump gate in the Prime system. A GeoSurvey Group is also assigned to survey the small number of planets in the Barnard’s Star system now that it can return safely.

2 new Gamma class GeoSurvey ships have been completed on R’lyeh and a new GeoSurvey Group has been setup.

April, 2027
Prof. Daehawk completes work pn the new Meson Beam Turret. A few more projects need to be completed, but the Emperor plans to add these turrets to a new design of lighter escort for heavy missile ships.

A new headquarters unit is completes for the Imperial Army, and available battalions are assigned to it.

Word comes from ships surveying Barnard’s Star II that a crewman is missing and presumed dead while performing some remote scans on the planet. He had just transmitted his mineral survey data when contact was lost. No sign of his craft could be discovered before the survey ship left orbit. Barnard’s Star does have a nice assortment of minerals however according to their report, although the deposits aren’t very large.

(So one small problem with Aurora is that really, really, REALLY important things can happen and unless you are paying very close attention to the event logs you can miss them. In this case our GeoSurvey ship discovered a colony and most likely the homeworld of an alien race on Barnard’s Star II, but the Emperor effectively ignored the report until just now when he was preparing this post. :) What this means is for the next few months it’s going to seem like I’m completely ignoring the new aliens we found and that’s in fact because I was. When next I progress the game we will take a more active interest in the health and government of our new neighbors.)

May, 2027
Prof. Granite completes work on a new capacitor system that should greatly improve our space crafts reactor designs. Although it is a very long term project Prof. Granite has been given administration of 10 of the Empire’s research labs and given orders to start work on a new kind of propulsion using magnetic fields and controlled plasma. Even with a genius of Prof. Granite’s caliber it will likely be years before we see a breakthrough, but this will be a significant advance for our Empire.

Mollusk Mining Corp has expanded it’s operations on Prime-A IV thanks to increased profits due to mineral sales to speed Naval construction.

June, 2027
Proudfoot Transport Services is also growing, this month launching it’s first Sigma Class colony ship.

July, 2027
Prof. tgb finishes work on the new fighter command module and start work on a similarly small fuel tank.

Captain Nelson aboard HMS Nautilus has sent word of a recent Illness. He has recovered fully, but still has lingering issues that may force him into retirement.

August, 2027
3 Mass Drivers are completed R’lyeh and 2 of them are moved to LV 426 to begin mineral transfers.

Thanks to his impressive help on previous projects one of Prof. Granite’s researchers has been promoted to the Science Council to work on independent projects. Prof. Bokrabug is ordered to look into improving terraforming rates.

One of our shipyards has been retooled for work on the Gorz Class Jump Scout and work immediately begins on 3 of them.

Disaster! An unfortunate mining accident has left Administrator Seppe severely injured and forced to retire. His position has been filled, but thankfully his clone backup is recent and his new body can enter Imperial Service wherever he’d like once it has completed growing.

September, 2027
Work on Jump Gate 3 from Prime is complete and work begins on the 4th. The 2nd GeoSurvey Group is ordered through the new Jump Gate.

October, 2027
2 HQ units and 4 new mobile infantry battalions complete training and are organized into the Imperial Army.

November, 2027
The 1st Strike Group completes overhauls on R’lyeh.

January, 2028
A new system is discovered!

Unfortunately it’s one tiny barren rock orbiting 1 of 2 small suns, but our GravSurvey groups are already uncovering evidence of jump points in the system.

An emergency session of the Imperial Council and Scientific Council is convened when an routine examination of survey records from Barnard’s Star II uncover evidence initially missed. Records indicate trace thermal emissions in a large forest near where contact was lost with an Imperial Survey shuttle. The emisions are definitely not natural and our experts believe this could be evidence of intelligent life on other worlds!
Unknown Race

Debates among the ruling class have already begun to decide how to react to this potential new threat.

State of the Empire
Since our expansion has started to stabilize I figured I’d show a quick summary of Imperial Colonies and production.

R’lyeh
First up is R’lyeh itself. We recently upgraded R’lyeh University to a level 3 acadamy. We have a mass driver to catch incoming mineral packets from LV 426, at this stage all of LV426’s production is able to be sent back to the homeworld without freighters having to pick it up. We’ve also completed a level 1 spaceport and 8 financial centers. That’s allowed our racial wealth to start increasing again, but it’s still going to need more trade to boost it up.
R’lyeh Production

R’lyeh is also where all our building construction is still carried out. We’re still working on pretty much the same stuff, but as soon as those financial centers are completed we’ll start on another round of infrastructure to increase the population of R’isa.
Construction

Here’s our current research:
Research

And Naval production still continues. We are increasing the capacity of one of our military shipyards, and the other is still churning out missile destroyers.
Shipyard Production

Our boot camps are building mobile infantry as quickly as possible and our current Imperial Army looks something like this, plus a brigade on R’isa to keep the peace:
Imperial Army

R’isa
R’isa is growing quickly with a population in excess of 10 million now and still growing. It will be years still before our terraforming efforts payoff, but we have more terraformers in production as well as research into improved terraforming to help things along.
R’isa

LV 426
LV 426 is churning along as a mining colony now with over 100 automines extracting it’s considerable mineral wealth. As we make more automines they all end up here to help with extraction.
LV 426

Next up: Into the unknown

February, 2028
After multi-day discussions with advisers from around the Empire, the Emperor has finally made known to the people the existence of an alien race, and laid out his plans. First, a diplomatic team will be formed to begin attempts to understand these beasts. It’s always a good thing to be able to ask for mercy if needed. Second, a select team of military officers will be quietly landed on the enemy homeworld to begin the long process of gathering intelligence on them.

Efforts to grow both the Imperial Army and Imperial Fleet will take priority over all other matters until we are certain the race currently being referred to by fleet officers as “The Apes”, is not a significant threat. To that end, once the current run of destroyers is complete, our main military shipyard with retool to begin building more of the larger Carrack Class Cruiser.

Unrest has again periodically been rising on R’isa… this time due to the feeling of the population that the Empire is not protecting them as well as it could be. People reporting this belief have been moved to conveniently located Education Centers around R’isa where they are shown how incorrect this assumption is.

Civilian mining operations on Prime-A IV-4 continue to expand, now running 5 mining complexes.

The dedication and skill of our diplomatic team is on full display as they report to the Emperor that they have made a breakthrough and achieved full communications with the aliens who call themselves the “Haldia Star Empire”. Since they don’t yet appear to have a navy, and only seem to control one planet this name seems slightly grandiose, but our diplomats have been instructed to play along to better sooth our new neighbors.

March, 2028
Our covert ops team under the command of Cmdr. Polypokazam as been successfully inserted on the enemy first by the 1st Strike Group. No ships or orbital installations were detected during their close pass, and the enemy does not seem to have detected our agents.

Professor Shinjin completes work on a new, smaller missile tube design. It sacrifices loading equipment to make the whole unit smaller. This means 2 missile tubes can be fit in the place of one standard tube, but those tubes take 5 times as long to load. Work on even smaller tube designs has begun.

The 1st Strike Group returns to R’lyeh after it’s mission and begins training exercises in the inner system.

May, 2028
Gravitational surveys of the Kruger 60 system have been completed and 2 new jump points have been located there. All grav survey groups are ordered to move to the Prime jump point and await construction of a Jump Gate there.

Construction of 10 financial centers is completed on R’lyeh. Work on more infrastructure to be transferred to R’isa has begun.

2 new Theta Class Terraformers are completed on R’lyeh and they join the 1st Former Group in orbit of R’isa.

June, 2028
Work is completed on a return Jump Gate from Kruger 60 and all ships in system have returned home to refit and be reassigned. Cmdr. WYBaugh is prepares to be sent to construct a return Jump Gate in the still unexplored 4th jump point from Prime.

The civilian yards previously producing asteroid miners have been retooled and are now constructing our Kappa Class Tanker ships. Eventually these ships will be spread around our systems to harvest fuel and provide it to passing ships.

Yet another scientist has been accepted onto the Council. Prof. Genga-Thath is an expert in Sensors and Fire Control and is assigned a lab to begin preliminary work on more powerful Grav sensors which should increase the detection range of our active sensor suites.

July, 2028
2 new Lancer Class Destroyers are completed at R’lyeh. As planned the shipyards begin retooling to produce new Carrack Class Cruisers. Commanders Jubarensis and Isgrimnur have been promoted to Captain and assigned to these new ships as soon as they return from previous duties.

August, 2028
More infantry units complete training on R’lyeh and are organized into the Imperial Army.

September, 2028
Proudfoot Transport announces the launch of a new Galleon Class Freighter… now it’s 3rd in service.

For services provided to the Empire Commodore Strange has been promoted to Rear Admiral. He is now the highest ranked officer in the fleet next to the Emperor. Captain Janster has been promoted to Commodore.

November, 2028
Our secondary military shipyards on R’lyeh have successfully added capacity for another 1000 tons to all their slipways, putting the largest ships it can build at 4000 tons. This had been previously ordered so that the yards could produce the Sprint Class Jump Scout, but with the production of our new Gorz Class Jump Scouts already begun, the shipyards are ordered to begin producing our new Wasp Class Fast Attack Craft.

Prof. Daehawk’s skill once again increases and records show he now imparts a 25% bonus to projects under his command (up from 15% when he joined the Council.

December, 2028
In case military intervention is required against the Apes in the Barnard’s Star system one of our civilian shipyards has been retooled to produce Ardent Class Troop Transports. We hope to produce enough new transports to drop at least 5 brigades of troops into battle at a time.

January, 2029
Construction of additional infrastructure is complete on R’lyeh. Work begins on more Mass Drivers to help connect far flung mining stations to R’lyeh.

March, 2029
Our main military yards finish retooling for Carrack Class Cruisers and the hulls for 2 new Cruisers are laid down.

April, 2029
The first 3 ships of our Gorz Class Jump Scouts are completed and the 1st Scout Group is formed with Cmdr. MrBismark as the S.O. The 1st Scout Group’s first order is to explore the first unexplored jump point in the Ross System.

Early in the morning on the 7th of April a jubilant General LordMortis contacts the Emperor via secure FTL Comms and announces that they have completed their investigation of the ruins on Prime-A IV-5! They report the ruins are various abandoned, but mostly intact installations once belonging to a race known as Alraig Empire. He reports that with the help of some engineering brigades of the Imperial Army they should be able to extract valuable artifacts from those installations. The 26th and 27th Engineering Brigades are loaded up and landed on Prime-A IV-5 immediately to begin work. For excellent work done under extraordinary pressure General LordMortis has been awarded the Imperial Service Cross.

The Cmdr. Mr.Bismark’s 1st Scout Group enters the Jump Point in Ross 248 and returns data on the newly discovered Groombridge System! A number of habitable planets are spotted and the 1st Scout Group immediately ordered to begin surveying them.

Groombridge System

Basic Planetary Data

Side View

May, 2029
Construction is completed on a jump gate into the last system linked to Prime and the 2nd GeoSurvey Group enters the new gate and discovers the Gliese 687 system.

Views of the Gliese system:
View 1

View 2

View 3

The Proudfoot shipping lines have completed a new freighter.

Our smaller military yard on R’lyeh has completed retooling to build the Wasp Class FAC and work commences on 3 new hulls.

June, 2029
Report comes from General LordMortis that work in earnest has begun on uncovering and salvaging the alien installations that were hidden in the dust of Prime-A IV-5, now renamed Ruby. Before handing off control of the dig site to the newly arrived engineering officers, General LordMortis requests the 2 remaining engineering brigades on R’lyeh be moved over to speed up work. The General is then taken by shuttle back to R’lyeh where he and General Archinerd begin preparations and training for an upcoming secret operation.

Meanwhile, Rear Admiral Strange is ordered to bring the 1st Strike Group back to R’lyeh for an overhaul and to attend important planning sessions with the Emperor and other high ranking Imperial Staff Officers.

The 26th Engineering Brigade on Ruby has uncovered our first working installation! An automine has been restored to working order and has been ordered moved by the 1st Cargo Group to LV 426. Over the next few months a number of facilities are uncovered with a terraforming plant going to R’isa along with a number of mines, while all auto mines found are sent to LV 426.

Cmdr. WYBaugh’s group begins work on a return Jump Gate from the Gliese System.

Prof. tgb’s teams complete work on a new fuel tank sized to be placed on new upcoming fighter designs. After completing this Prof. tgb is ordered to begin work on new equipment and weapon upgrades for the Imperial Army.

July, 2029
A new civilian mining colony is founded on the extremely distant 10th moon of Prime-A XI.

2 new Gamma Class GeoSurvey ships are completed on R’lyeh and formed into a new group. As we now have plenty of survey ships no new hulls are started.

Cmdr. MrBismark’s 1st Scout Group enters a jump point discovered in the Kruger 60 system and discovers the EG 372 system!

EG 372:
View 1

View 2

View 3

August, 2029
5 new Battalions of Mobile Infantry are completed on R’lyeh. General LordMortis has been reassigned to one of the combat brigades there and 3 brigades of elite Imperial Army troops are sent to remote regions of R’lyeh for special training.

November, 2029
The first 3 Wasp Class FACs are completed in excellent timing and 3 more hulls are begun. The FACs are formed into the 1st FAC Group and tasked with close defense of R’lyeh and R’isa.

Overhauls of the 1st Strike Group are nearing completion and the ships are placed on alert and sent to far orbit as they come online. Secret orders are sent by courier to the Captains of the fleet and preparations for action begin.

December, 2029
A new batch of mass drivers are completed on R’lyeh. One is moved to the distant asteroid Star’s End where our 2 Asteroid Miners are hard at work. Construction assets are diverted to completing the last expansions to R’lyeh University.

January, 2030
The 1st Scout Group once again bravely enters new territory and discovers the Alpha Centauri System!

Alpha Centauri:
View 1

View 2

View 3

View 4

Quietly without alerting the media, the 1st Strike Group moves out of orbit of R’lyeh and proceeds through the Barnard’s Star Jump Gate. It sweeps in toward the Homeworld of the Apes and makes a number of passes with it’s active sensors on. No new construction or ships are discovered, but signs of combat troops are detected on the surface. Fleet Intelligence estimates there are only a handful of low tech infantry battalions on the planet. As swiftly as it arrives the Admiral Strange orders the 1st Strike Group back through the Jump Gate to refuel at Prime.

February, 2030
Prof. tgb’s teams have made a number of improvements to the equipment of the Imperial Army. New types of ammo, better command and control, etc. This should give our fighting forces a good boost to firepower and work is begun on yet more enhancements.

March, 2030
New construction at R’lyeh university is completed and it’s now a full level 4 Academy! This means it will churn out even more officers and leaders of all sorts for the empire. Some construction assets are devoted to building more construction factories, while some are assigned the construction of more infrastructure. Much of this will likely end up on R’isa, but there is at least one planet in the Groombridge system that has been marked for eventual colonization by the Emperor and it will begin being built up in the near future.

2 new Theta Class Terraformers are completed at R’lyeh and transferred to the 1st Former Group. While we will eventually need many more terraformers, the shipyards that had been constructing them are ordered to retool to construct more Y-4 Class Construction ships to speed up the exploitation of new Jump Points. Once our Construction Groups are beefed up, work will resume on Terraformers.

April, 2030
3 more FACs are completed and are added to the 1st FAC Group.

2 new Ardent Class Troop Transports are completed and added to the 1st Transport Group. The 1st Transport Group leaves port and begins secret training exercises off R’isa.

May, 2030
May 6th, 2030 Under the watching batteries of the Imperial Fleet the 21st, 22nd, and 30th Infantry Brigades are loaded onto the 1st Transport Group and the transports along with the escorting 1st Strike Group make their way to the Barnard’s Star Jump Gate. General Archinerd is in overall command of the division, while General LordMortis is in command of the 22nd Brigade.

The approach

May 14, 2030 The 1st Strike Groups active sensors detect the Ape homeworld and Admiral Strange orders the fleet to take up a protective position 100k KM from the planet and standby for orders. All missiles batteries are loaded and made ready to fire at a moments notice. Communications are received from the surface but the Emperor has ordered a complete radio silence.

May 19th, 2030 On the dark side of the planet near the Ape capital the 1st Transport Group completes it’s orders and Operation Hammer is officially set into motion. 3 elite brigades will approach the city and begin assaults along pre-planned routes. Kept highly classified for months, all branches of the Imperial Military have been preparing for this day since the Apes were first detected.

Stand by

May 20th, 2030 It’s heavy artillery finally in position, at 1:51 local time General Archinerd orders all batteries to begin firing and orders all brigades to make a general advance against the capital city. The Apes are no fools and had seen this coming for the last few days. 6 battalions of Ape infantry have dug in along all the approach corridors to the city and they begin trading fire with the rapidly approaching mobile infantry units of the Imperial Army.

Battle!

May, 23rd, 2030 Heavy fighting has been going on in the city for 3 days now and the Ape forces are clearly outmatched by the considerable firepower of the Imperial Army. All of the enemy battalions are battered in the fighting and Naval Intelligence estimates they’ve already lost 1/6th of their numbers. While the Apes are clearly not primitives, they are a fledgling race and lack anything like the powered armor favored by the Imperial Army. Casualties among the invaders are light with friendly fire accidents causing more problems than the ballistic weapons of the Apes.

June, 2030
Ground combat has slowed considerably, and all known formations of Ape Regulars have been defeated, but it will take a little longer for our troops to quell partisans and take full control of the Ape world.

August, 2030
August 9th, 2030 VA Day! With a final push Imperial Army units under General LordMortis seize control of the Presidential Palace on the Ape Homeworld, and the war is over. The Ape leaders agree to pay reparations and our racial wealth jumps from around 40,000 to upwards of 75,000 with the wealth we have conquered. The Elite Army units on the planet are cycled home while garrison brigades from R’lyeh are sent to begin pacification operations on our new planet. In all over 300 million Apes now swear allegiance to Emperor Sepiche and the Overlord Empire.

Our new world

Sadly the Apes, while not primitives, weren’t even really a space faring race, and their construction assets on the planet are useless to an economy as advanced as ours. It will be a long time before serious construction efforts can be made on our new world, but the addition of 300 million new souls on an Imperial planet will still be a large boost to our economy.

For bravely facing the enemy and leading our Imperial Army to victory over the Apes, Generals Archinerd and LordMortis are hereby awarded the Ground Combat Star.

September, 2030
3 more Wasps are completed and added to the rapidly growing 1st FAC Group

My game bugged on me, could not bring up system view no matter what I did …