A Wrinkle in Time - Oprah, Kelly Kapoor, Elle Woods in a tesseract

Lots of hopes pinned to this one with Disney, Oprah, and Ava DuVernay working to bring the beloved book to the screen.

Reviews are not great so far, and it seems the early word on the movie may have scuttled any ideas of DuVernay working with Star Wars.

I read the Time Trilogy + Many Waters back in the day. Good YA sci-fi I suppose. I was so starved for genre fare in those days. L’Engle’s stuff certainly didn’t fit into the usual boxes. The second book had something to do with mitochondria and a friendly multidimensional being of some kind, plus a supergenius kid thrown into the mix. I couldn’t recount the plot to save my life, but some of the scenes and images and lines of dialogue have stuck with me.

All that said, this is pretty low on the list of movies I’m in any hurry to see. I did like Selma, though.

The audience watching the free screener that got interrupted by Jimmy Kimmel & His Oscars Mob looked pretty bored. Maybe they were still watching the trailers.

I loved the books as a kid. The illustration of the ant walking between the shortened ends of the string was unforgettable, even if it probably wasn’t the correct definition of a tesseract. (I liked The Wind In The Door almost as much – until even as a kid I could hear the author yelling at hippies to get a job, settle down, and buy a Buick before the godless Commies took over.)

I enjoyed the book as a kid enough that I’ll definitely see the movie, but I’m in no rush. After the crowds thin out.

I personally do not see this doing well, but who knows?

It’s my go-to childhood book series to cite when explaining why I think Harry Potter is sub-par kid lit. I hope it does well, and hope it’s good, but I have to admit the trailer really left me cold… doesn’t seem to capture the mystery I remember, and the visual style seems to clash all over the place. I’ll be happy to be proven wrong.

Wasn’t impressed. Might be ok if you are a 13 year old girl. Too dark for younger than 12ish, and too facile for anyone much older. Shame, cause the book(s) are pretty good.

Took the kids (9 & 11 girls) this morning. They liked it quite a bit. I was bored out of my mind.

I know I read this several times as a kid, but have no idea any more what it’s about.

Yeah, this. The ant on a line is literally the only thing I remember.

That wasn’t in the movie! It was in the trailer, but never showed up in the actual film!

It’s not a done deal yet, but…

$95m box office domestic, $31m foreign.

My best buddy fucking loved this book and was losing her mind over the movie’s release. She was crushed walking out of the theater. Just utter, abject disappointment.

Was it considered a bad adaptation?

Lazy, lowest-common-denominator, and missing the “spirit” of the books from her perspective. Just shoddily done and a little phoned in, without trusting the source material to stand on its own where changes were made.

Ow. The John Carter comparison was inevitable.

Disney lost between $86 million and $186 million on “A Wrinkle in Time.”

The John Carter comparison was inevitable.

John Carter was sooo much better.