Aceru Combatu 7!

Cashed in some time off for a four day weekend just to play this bad boy. I’m preloaded and waiting impatiently for the end of the work day.

For what it’s worth, I think the game is very good, but I completely forgot about it as soon as I completed the campaign. The game is exactly the same as it was 15 years ago, with much better clouds as the most notable improvement.

I guess It doesn’t help that real-life fighter aircraft have barely changed in the last decade and a half.

Haven’t tried the VR stuff, though.

EDIT: Something I don’t get about the story. I know the space elevator is just a cool backdrop for the action, but I don’t get why people care so much about it in the story. I think they say it’s a source of energy, but how does a space elevator actually produce energy? Solar panels in space. You’d think a space elevator during wartime would be more like a white elephant kind of thing.

The space elevator is in large part symbolic of why the Euresans (sp?) attacked. They felt the other super power was building it on their continent in order to assert dominance.

The other part is that the elevator is the sole access to space at the time of the story.

That is what I gathered from the story at any rate.

So this is starting to get review bombed on steam, 19% positive at time of writing (this post might not age well) because there doesn’t seem to be support for HOTAS controls. Seems like a weird oversight.

I can’t believe there are even enough passionate HOTAS users out there to review bomb anything. Maybe all HOTAS users are passionate. But that’s still, what, 42 people?

https://i.imgur.com/R1fdEt3.gif?noredirect

Uh, do HOTAS players know how dumb* the Ace Combat series is?

-Tom

* This is intended as an observation and not a criticism.

Wait til they find out there’s no HOTAS support for the Gummi Ship in Kingdom Hearts 3!

To be fair, the listed genres are “Action, Simulation”, and the planes all use real names and nice looking cockpits! I think it’s reasonable to expect being able to use a joystick, especially as it supports one on console (albeit the official one).

So… if you have a HOTAS, everything should be mappable via the HOTAS software, right? Unless they don’t provide a throttle axis.

1. Sir.

The game is better with a gamepad. What the fuck are they on about.

So what’s the view on the PC version? Anyone taken it out for a spin?

I’m downloading it now, hope to get some gameplay in a bit

I’d love to dive in, but I’m trying to veer away from any new release purchases for a bit.

“Dive in” ; “veer away” - I sense a deep sense of frustrated longing…

As long as you don’t want to use a HOTAS (and I’d argue you’d be crazy to want to), it seems to play just fine. Just about halfway through the campaign, and my biggest problem has been adapting to the flight model after clocking a hundred hours in Project Wingman. Most people won’t have that issue.

I am OK to abandon my HOTAS and use my gamepad :) This is not DCS after all.

This.

It’s Ace Combat. On PC. It’s great. I’m having a whale of a time with it, but slightly stuck on a score attack mission that I have missed the mark by a 100 out of 17000 points or so for three times in a fucking row.
Luckily you get points for doing MP airquake even if you lose badly and the rounds are mercifully short. So I’m grinding a bit to get a Su-34 to fucking destroy that score attack bullshit once and for all.
The MP thing might not be quite “pure”. I saw some pretty high end stuff in there like Su-47s and an F-22 which I find hard to believe for a game that’s only been out less than a day.

It actually wouldn’t be all that hard to beeline for the F-22, especially if you marathoned the entire campaign on hard in the last 24 hours. I’m sprinting to the Strike Eagle just about as fast as I can, taking a couple detours to get the A-10 for that score attack mission you’re probably talking about and to pick up a few weapon upgrades.