Acronis vs. Macrium for HD backup?

I found out that Macrium allowed me to mount the backed up file as a Drive, and I can use Explorer to navigate all the files. This is really a nice and easy way to view what was backed up.

And I saw that some of my iCloud files are backed up and some are not. I think those which are not are still in the cloud, not in my local drive and so, Macrium throw out the errors. It does backed up cloud files then. All good then.

Yes, I’ve been always to backup my locally synced OneDrive and Dropbox without problems. It really is 100x better than Acronis TrueImage. TrueImage was a revelation when I first discovered and Reflect is doing all the right things with only releasing a major update every 1.5-2 years when new features warrant it.

Just a quick thank you note to @habibi for posting the 50% discount deal on Macrium 8, and to @rei for evangelising that package.

Got it on a bit of a whim on that sale, successfully used the cloning functionality to migrate my windows drive to an NVME drive.

Had to lookup the documentation to create a rescue USB memstick, but easily set up a scheduled system backup - lazily using their default grandparent/ father/ child template (ie monthly full image, weekly differential, daily incremental).
Took a few hours for the first run, then a few minutes daily in the background from PC to NAS.

Seems pretty solid, and being able to mount and browse the backup is pretty nifty.

(Disclaimer: I have not used any other backup package for twenty years so no idea how macrium compares to the wider market, but pretty happy so far).

Macrium gives you the WinPE pre boot recovery environment even with the Free version. V7 of free had image protect but 8 seems to have taken away.

I like the ability to mount and browse too. It’s user-friendly and easy to find files and folder.
Since we do differential and incremental backups daily/weekly, does Macrium have a Time-Machine like capability which allows you to browse different time-versions of the same file?

When one updates Macrium do we have to make new bootup USBs?

I think so, yes, as documented here. But, it also looks like Macrium will take care of updating the bootup USBs.

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW72/Change+PE+Version

You should re-make your USB. Periodically you use the same “create rescue media” menu to update the embedded WinPE install in the recovery menu/boot menu with new updates. It’s not fatal if you don’t or forget to. There’s no harm or drawback if you don’t re-make your USB along with the WinPE WAIK updates.

Hey all, this is only tangentially related to Macrium and was more about the aftermath of cloning a drive with the free Macrium software recommended by SK Hynix.

The question I still have is how to proceed in terms of removing the old Windows 10 system SSD and somehow assigning the C: drive letter to the new M.2 connected NVMe. Should Windows 10 do that renaming automatically if I remove the old drive? Also, if I then decide to repurpose the old SSD drive as now only semi-fast storage, which will require reformatting obviously {best tool for that BTW?) can I assume that the system will auto-assign the next available drive letter to that, since it has currently assigned such a letter to new clone?

These things get complicated. :/

You should clone it, then power off and disconnect the old C entirely/temporarily.

Good question! I have checked the EU4 save game folder (in the Documents folder under Users) in my initial full image from a week ago versus today’s latest incremental image - and there are different savegames in each folder.

So I would indeed expect each mountable image to contain the version for a given document from that date.

(But happy to corrected since I have not exactly performed a thorough test).

There is a search function which will then show you all the versions of the file. That’s pretty much what I was looking for.

I have been using the native Windows image backup utility for years (and I used Acronis for a while before that), but I recently read that even Microsoft recommends you use a third-party backup solution for Windows 11 since the Windows backup utility apparently dates back to Win7 technology.

My needs are basic, just periodic manual full HD image backups to an external drive. Is Macrium Reflect still a solid choice if you’re running Windows 11?

Yes. 1234

Yes. Having switched to Macrium Reflect from Acronis, I must say that it appears to be an overall better product in every way. Only issue I’ve encountered is that, if you move the xml that holds the backup details, or it gets moved unexpected (as in my case), you have to jump through some hoops to get it back functioning and have to reschedule the backup in its entirety. Not a big deal once you know that’s a thing, but was a bit of an annoyance trying to track down why my backup wasn’t functioning anymore.

I also like that they don’t release a new ‘version’ every year like some companies do as a cash grab. Maybe Macrium actually ensures that they have a product that’s different enough from the previous version before they say it’s a ‘new full version’. I was pleasantly surprised when I noted that the version 8 I bought in 2021 is still being updated as the newest one.

Just be aware that the free version of Macrium Reflect is being discontinued.

Thanks, good to know. Even if they stop issuing updates, I imagine it should continue to work fine for my simple purposes unless Win11 has some sort of drastic update. Even then, I at least have a year to decide whether I want to purchase a regular license or try something else.