Actors who basically play themselves in movies

Vince Vaughn

!!!

Really? No mention of Hugh Grant yet?

I’d have to actually watch a Hugh Grant film first to know anything about his acting. The same for Michael Cera, who I’ve only seen on Arrested Development.

Who always reminds me of Pierce Brosnan, but I just saw Ghost Writer and thought he did a fine job. It was like the short stint as Bond did wonders for him.

Must go faster.

How has Paul Giamatti not been mentioned yet?

Disagree. His good guys characters are very different from his villains.

This is not always the case. Michael Caine is not “Michael Caine” in Zulu or Get Carter.

You’ve misunderstood. Jason Statham plays himself. His movies are documentaries about his life.

If this thread were about directors I’d choose Tim Burton.

Somebody recent:

Zach Galifianakis

Eric Roberts has been my go-to in this regard.

I’m wondering if Mel Gibson would fit in here. He generally plays unhinged self-destructive characters, and given recent years it seems like that was basically playing himself and his real acting job was when he wasn’t appearing crazy in public.

I can’t believe no one has said Tom Cruise yet.

When you need someone to play the Tom Cruise character, there’s no other choice. Especially if the Tom Cruise character has to run really convincingly at any point in the movie.

Now if you need someone to scream into a phone and ask where his daughter/wife/MacGuffin is, that’s Mel Gibson territory.

Tropic Thunder and Magnolia beg to differ w/regards to Tom Cruise.

There are exceptions to every rule. ;)

Yep - I came in here to post this.

Another vote for Sean Connery.
[Edit - And Morgan Freeman]

This is what I was coming here to post. Fucker.

Did you stop watching movies in the 90’s? One Hour Photo, Insomnia, World’s Greatest Dad, and The Night Listener just called and said shut the fuck up.