Adobe Flash 1996-2020

I haven’t had Flash installed for like a decade and haven’t missed it a single time.

Flash was buggy as hell, a resource hog, and a major security risk. Its death was warranted. Murdering it was Steve Jobs’ shining moment.

There will be edge cases where it hurts, but they’ll be resolved now that there’s no other choice.

Yes Stusser, I’m sure you also disable JavaScript, game on Linux, don’t own a TV, and only carry a flip phone. We’re all very impressed.

No, I don’t do any of those things.

Good for you. You use the web in a very, very different way than I do. You also apparently have no professional applications that rely on it. Lucky you.

I see no evidence of this. The educational sector has been scrambling frantically to patch up the massive, gaping holes the death of Flash leaves in the landscape of available tools to no real avail. It may sort itself out, but it’s going to take years, and we need this stuff right now more than ever. If nothing else, in light of the pandemic, the deprecation should have been pushed back.

What are you talking about? Lynx has never supported Javascript.

Flash torched so many systems over the years I grew to hate it with an unholy fire. Trying to repair the damage done was a nightmare. Anytime something called for it, I’d just skip it’s use. Was a pain at times, but it wasn’t the worth the risk. Feel bad for those stuck with it, but one has to admit the ease of programming and how it functioned was a key factor in making it a terrible security risk.

Damn. Tough crowd.

It’s alright man, I understood that reference. I looked it up with gopher.

Archie led me to this excellent comment on my VT100 terminal. Good job!

Windows Update now has the update that removes the disabled Flash functionality from Windows 10 altogether. Got sent out today.

My PCs are now Flash-free.

All it does is uninstall any lingering browser plugins. Projectors and AIR apps still work fine.

also, we will report you as a DEFECTOR or something

So, yeah, Adobe has a few options on the subscription plans.

1. Annual plan, monthly installments. You receive a discount over the #3 plan.
  2. Annual plan, paid in full up front. You receive an even slightly larger discount over the #3 plan.
  3. Monthly plan. No discount.

#1 seems to be the issue. If you sign up for that, you’re basically committing to a 12-month contract with monthly payments. In return, you get the discount over the monthly plan. The disadvantage is that Adobe will charge you that cancellation fee because they basically booked your subscription as revenue for the year.

If you’re on #3, you can cancel at any time with no cancellation fee. But you’re paying $31 a month, as opposed to $21 or $20 a month for the #1 and #2 plans.

FTFY

That, too.

I have the Lightroom subscription. I’m on the monthly plan, simply because there is no discount for the yearly plan. You pay the same amount every twelve months either way.

Me, I’m just glad my Adobe needs are covered by the GIMP and I don’t have to deal with them. Oracle at work is bad enough.

If you commit to a 12-month contract to get a discount, you shouldn’t be crying over the fact that you get dinged for not holding up your end of the contract.

On the other hand, from the original thread it sounds like Adobe makes it really hard to see that you’re actually signing up for a discounted yearly subscription with an early cancellation fee. I don’t touch Adobe outside of my corporate license for Acrobat so couldn’t say how true that is.

The fact that the yearly plan with monthly installments has a discount over the monthly plan would raise my eyebrows. There would have to be a catch somewhere. But maybe that’s just me.