Adult Orthodontics

Seeing this site was a well of knowledge regarding lasik surgery, i need corrective treatment of a type too…

I need braces, or something. Anyone had it done recently ? Or kids going through the braces stage? Invisalign any good? Costs ?

I guess in my case, the british teeth stereotype is actually true, its a shame my childhood dentist was an asshole or it would have been done then, like everyone else did.

I had them done when I was a kid and I am glad I did. I have heard some horrible things about getting it done as an adult.

When my stepdad had them done they had to wire his jaw shut.

My fiancee got some at age 25, was about $5000, though insurance paid $3000. It didnt seem any more painful than they were to me as a kid.

I think most insurances dont like to pay for them though, and they cost more the longer you wear them, I’d assume.

Before i had braces as a kid i had an overbite.

As an adult now i have an overbite and crooked teeth. But boy i looked good for a few years there. Too bad it didn’t help my resume with the teenage ladies :).

I suppose it depends on where you are and what you need.

My wife is getting her braces off just a little before her 30th birthday. We looked at invisalign and such, but we ended up getting those good old steel rails everyone knows and loves. After all, if your teeth are really off, there’s no substitute for slapping some steel bands on your molars and wrenching those wayward choppers into place.

This was done in the United States, so the cost was around three thousand dollars, paid completely out of pocket, and it was a set fee, so if the orthodontist decided to keep making adjustments the price didn’t keep ratcheting up. Couldn’t say what it would be in Australia, if that’s where you’re having it done.

Every adjustment is painful at first but as the teeth shift, it gets better. It wasn’t me this time, so I couldn’t say, but it didn’t look any worse than having it done as a kid.

Good luck!

If your smile doesn’t bag you a lady, your selfish genes will. :)

NECRO!

My dentist bullied me into getting braces.

I am unhappy about this.

But, I guess my teeth will be straight, and my bottom tooth will stop hitting my top incisor (which was chipping).

I had braces as a kid removed when I was 13, and things just shifted over the last 25 years enough. I had a permanent retainer built in to the back of my bottom row of teeth, but the wire snapped about 15 years ago, and the ortho said that it would probably be OK, and I should keep wearing my nightly retainer. I lost that multiple moves and dentists ago, and things have shifted.

My insurance covers 2k$ of the ortho, and it sounded like my Dentist said they could keep all costs under 2k if I went with them. 8 months of brace face. My teeth hurt, I look stupid, but I guess this is something I need to do, you only get one set of teeth, and having them misaligned and chipping away at each other is not a good idea. So here I am, nearly 40, with braces.

No popcorn or apples or raw carrots (and much more) for the next 8 months.