Adventures in Fitness: The Twilight Years Edition

I’ve spent most of my life with some sort of active exercise regimen going, even if it’s just a matter of using my bicycle for transportation. I’ve spent years actively doing light lifting and running. I did step aerobics three times a week for much of my 30s and 40s. Yep, step aerobics. Go ahead, laugh. I know I did! But there I was, arms waving, feet stepping, wearing a doo-rag and tank top, sweating to club music that I would have otherwise never heard because I’ve lived my life as an old white guy who’s into opera and Bowie and Elliott Smith and those don’t really have a beat for step aerobics.

But in the last 10 years, I’ve gotten very little exercise. After my cancer and recovery, I felt like I’d been given a different body that didn’t work as well as it used to. It sucked. It still sucks. I still don’t recognize this flesh. Partly because it’s not shaped like it was, but also because so much of it is missing (I weigh now what I weighed when I was 14). I’ve been pretty good about staying moderately active, but going for walks isn’t the same. That’s not the focus and intensity that I’ve used as a kind of meditation for most of my life.

And maybe it’s time to do something about that. I don’t know if I’m in my twilight years, technically, but I’m feeling really old lately. Mostly due to some health issues that are still being troubleshot, but also just general wear and tear. From inside my body, 56 feels like the new 70. So what happens now?

Well, you sign up for the YMCA. I still qualify for two of the four letters! So that’s what happens now. I figured I’d start swimming some laps.

Which was awfully optimistic of me. I could swim the length of the pool, but then I had to rest for what felt like ten minutes. I have zero stamina or endurance, which shouldn’t be surprising, but is still dismaying. How am I going to swim laps if I can barely make it there and back without feeling like my lungs are on fire? I know it gets easier with time, at least in theory. At least when your body is young. So I guess I just have to push through this. It’s nothing new, it’s just harder.

On the way out, feeling thoroughly defeated, I looked into what classes are offered at this YMCA. Step aerobics has been dead for at least a decade or more, but there are other options. Hmm, what’s Zumba? Isn’t that a dance thing? I asked Kevin at the front desk, who’s about my age and hue.

“So these Zumba classes, what are these? Like dancing?”

“Well, yes, I think so. You could probably look at a video on YouTube to see if it’s for you,” he said very properly. He’s English, which is pretty cool.

When I later looked at a video on YouTube, I realized he was being polite. The idea of me doing that was probably the most comedic concept Kevin could experience in the front lobby of a YMCA. Needless to say, I did not sign up for the Zumba class.

There was, however, something called Aqua Fitness. Not to be confused with the Aqua Arthritis class, which I don’t need yet! So I signed up for Aqua Fitness. My first class was this morning.

There are maybe 20 people in groups of three or four, mostly women. I’m the youngest person here by probably ten years. I slink over to the far side of the walkway around the pool and stand against the wall; I figure I’ll kind of hang out and watch before joining in. A brassy woman about my age comes sauntering over, wearing a cowboy hat, dark sunglasses, and a floral one-piece bathing suit.

“Are you here for the class?” she asks.

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Well get on in!” she says with a big ol’ grin. Ah, she’s the instructor. I slip into the water and she gets in right beside me, still wearing the cowboy hat, calling out to the class, which starts whooping and clapping. Turns out I’ve gotten into the pool at the very front of the class. Not what I had intended.

After some preliminary whooping and clapping, she starts moving her arms in the air as the music starts. I follow suit, so that means I’m now doing Aqua Fitness, waving my arms in the air, first one, then the other, then both. Every now and then, she moves her arms under the water, and I realize, “Oooooh, I’m supposed to do the arm movements she’s making in the air, but with my own arms underwater, for the resistance!” And here I had been at the front of the class thinking we were all supposed to be waving our arms in the air. A quick glance behind and I’m immediately disabused of that notion. We’re in the water for the purpose of resistance. I get it now. Now I’m doing Aqua Fitness for real.

So we do some arm stuff and I can see that, yeah, this is like very lightweight and very customizable weight training. So that’s why working out in a pool is a thing! The music has segued into Billie Eilish’s Bad Guy and I’m moving my arms underwater now, getting the hang of it.

“I like the way you dance.”

Those are words that no one, of either sex, has ever said to me. But if the words had ever been said to me, I would hope they would be said while I was dancing. Because what I had been doing just now wasn’t at all what I would consider dancing.

It’s a woman who’s moved up beside me. She shouts over the music, which is reverberating almost incoherently around the indoor pool.

“Oh, I didn’t, I mean, I wasn’t…that’s…yes, thank you.” I make a mental note to prepare a better response for the next time someone says that to me.

“She’s great, isn’t she?” the woman asks me.

Why is she talking to me? We’re in an Aqua Fitness class. For all I know, we might get in trouble for talking, and the teacher is right there.

“She is, yes,” I say, pretending to be very preoccupied with doing the exercise that involves using one of those foam noodles that I always thought were just for kids to whack each other with.

“It’s like she’s from a European spa!”

“Ah, yes, that’s funny, she is like that.” I’m looking around to see if other people are breaking into conversations and they’re not.

“Your arms are so long. I bet you could swim to the other side in three strokes!”

“Oh, yeah, maybe. They just came this way.”

“I’m Leslie.”

“I’m Tom.”

A different woman comes up behind me and plucks the foam noodle out of my hands while I’m trying to readjust. She thrusts her own larger foam noodle into my hands and then sits on the one she just took from me.

“Here, take this, it’s better for you,” she says with a smile and a thick accent. My last doctor was an Armenian woman who called me “Meester Cheek”. I had a girlfriend who used to do Arianna Huffington impressions that were indistinguishable from Zsa Zsa Gabor impressions and I loved them. I adore this accent. Did she just shoot a sly smile at her friend after returning to her corner with my purloined foam noodle? And I notice she’s wearing make-up, as if she’s going out somewhere after this. She’s not the only one. People put on make-up for Aqua Fitness.

“Oh, thank you, that’s better,” I say, struggling with the new foam noodle.

The Billie Eilish continues. In fact, I think the instructor is just playing the whole album, including songs that have a terrible beat for exercising. For instance, you couldn’t use Strange Addiction in a step aerobics class. That song is all over the place. And I don’t know if I can exercise through that stretch at the end, with Listen Before I Go followed immediately by I Love You. That’s crying music, not exercising music!

Fortunately, the instructor bellyflops herself onto the side of the pool to reach over and change the music. Not that it matters because, well, indoor swimming pool acoustics. I do the thing where I have to force myself to stop looking at the clock, and the hour is up quickly enough.

“I hope you’ll come back,” Leslie says. She’s got to be someone’s mother. She looks at me as if she’s thinking of a child who’s grown and gone and I feel a pang for us both.

And that was my first Aqua Fitness class. The next one is Monday.

1 Like

Tom you are soon to be the best at Aqua Fitness. ;)

so… how many Yelp stars?

Facebook has deemed my age and circles appropriate to dispense pithy pittances such as

Great Potato Exercise
Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side.

With a 5-lb potato bag in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax.

Each day you’ll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer. After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato bags.

Then try 50-lb potato bags and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. (I’m at this level.)

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each bag.

That story is an adventure. I hope you enjoy your new activities, or at least get entertained by them.

Okay, that was worth reading until the end. Well played, silhouette.

By the way, I probably could have presented this better, but I was intending to start a conversation about getting back into exercising after being away so long and turning old. But then I ended up with a short story that probably obscures my original intent. :)

-Tom

What I get from this is AquaFitness is clearly a cult.

I’m not old enough to know but…

I was chatting to my neighbor a while back. He’s 78, tough as old boots, gets up at the crack of dawn every day, never stops working - mostly manual labor. He’s built like an ox. When I clap him on the shoulder it feels like solid granite. I asked him once how does he manage to stay in such great shape. He said obviously it gets harder as you get older. Mostly though it’s about pain. Even when something hurts he pushes himself to continue on regardless (within reason - so as not to cause damage). I dunno, it’s just a small thing but it stuck with me. Fitness when you’re older is about knowing when to push your body through pain.

At our Y, it’s all about the body pump class. I don’t do it but my 58-year-old neighbor and his wife love it, and he recently made a friend in his 80s through it. His high school age children go with him so the age range is wide. Still mostly women, though, like aqua. Or nearly any exercise class, guessing.

download (1)

That was a great story, Tom. I’m so glad that you keep looking for what fits your comfort level, and you seem to have found a really caring group to exercise with, which makes things each session not just good for the body but good for the soul.

I’ve tried to maintain a regimen, though in past years there have been periods when I was less than dutiful for a span of time. For the past several years though I’ve been pretty religious about my three day a week gym visits. That, being active with the dogs outside. At 60, I find that exercise (I usually do fast walking on a track, elliptical/cross trainers, stationary bikes, and weights) really helps across the board and is essential for keeping weight down. I also get up pretty damn early and go to bed fairly early, FWIW.

Diet though is really key for me. Heavy on the vegetables, fruit, whole grains like brown rice, beans, some lean meat, pretty much no regular bread or carbs like that. If I was eating like I did when I was 40, I’d be 300 pounds I think instead of like 185-ish.

Around here all the old folks have gone nuts for pickle ball. I haven’t tried it myself but I’ve watched a bit and it does look fun.

Love the story–very much looking forward to the next one. I’m not usually one for romance novels, but I’m kinda hoping it heads in that direction…

This read was a great way to start the morning. Thanks Tom!

Until the recent pandemic I had belonged to a gym for 20 years. Mainly to do cardio stuff and to help with a bad back. With things hopefully winding down I am looking forward to returning to the gym.

I started running around the track at a local school at the beginning of the pandemic when the gyms closed. I have been enjoying it. I don’t go very fast, but I try to go for 50 minutes.

I have been considering martial arts. My son enjoys it and advises staying away from the ones that require strikes like karate and so forth. You don’t want someone just learning to mess up and kick you harder than you should be kicked (which isn’t hard at all!). My son recommends jiujitsu which is like wrestling and offers more control because you can just give up. I know fire was doing some martial art with sticks that didn’t look too threatening or dangerous.

I am the same way with swimming laps. I get winded after a lap and I’m not sure it has to do with lung capacity or endurance. I have been able to run without stopping, but for some reason swimming laps is different. I go all out to get to the other side and then I am winded and need a break. For me, it’s like I’m being driven by an irrational fear or an inability to breathe correctly during the swimming part that leaves me out of breath at the wall every time. Plus, pool water is not easy on the skin for me.

I loved your story about the pool. I don’t think I have what it takes to get into such a class.

This is me too!

Tim, could be worth paying for a few swim lessons to pace the breathing and do some expert-guided exposure training/“therapy” to deal with that pressure. But the running routine sounds great and low enough impact.

My workout streak is at 128 weeks. Some of those weeks were pretty empty, but the average per week is above 3. Mostly weights, some cardio, occasional yoga, some mobility. But most importantly, I’m in the best shape I’ve ever been in…in my fifties. It’s a low bar, but progress is progress.

I don’t know anything about the way other schools do it, but at my wing chun school there are a bunch of guys in their 60s and most of them are in great shape. My sifu is over 70 and can punch harder than I can. Partly it’s genetics, I’m sure, and he was a mailman for 30 years, but as far as martial arts go it’s very low impact, but if you do a lot of punches and kicks (and elbows!) you get a lot of small stresses to the joints and connective tissues that over time make them stronger and you more flexible. I had both golfer’s and tennis elbow when I joined up almost three years ago now and my elbows no longer bother me. Jiu jitsu involves a lot of joint locks and I know a couple people who have gotten kind of fucked up that way. All it takes is one person being overenthusiastic. Otherwise I think wrestling is about the best thing there is but it’s easy to get hurt. I myself have a nagging lower back injury gotten while fucking around with a buddy doing standup wrestling.