Adventures in Fitness: The Twilight Years Edition

That’s it, you’re definitely not getting invited to the afterparty at Golden Corral.

I was hoping you’d keep track of how many ladies wore makeup, and watch the numbers increase week by week. This is a harem anime mixed with a faux high school anime, isn’t it?

Doki Doki Aqua Fit Club.

Added to my Steam wishlist.

Some folks have to make everything a competition…

I am enjoying this thread wayyyy too much!

My spouse prefer exercise in the pool, and basically does self-directed AuquaFit. She has different water weights and flippers and such to add resistance. She has a water resistant speaker to play tunes. I even got her a book a few years ago with more exercise suggestions. She does this 3x per week plus maybe 15-20min of laps.

So if you the class ends up not working, maybe you can simply DIY.

I will say as we age, I’ve encouraged her to add weight bearing exercises 1/wk as further defense against osteoporosis.

That was an entertaining read!

You need to end with a short preview (“On the next episode of Adventures in Fitness…”).

I saw this article and thought of Tom. I think he needs these amazing weights.

And Tom needs to grow a mustache.

Looking forward to being a Tom and Leslie stan. Hmmm… what should we call the super couple? TomLie? LesChick?

Sooo… Whats going on in the waterworld adventures, Mr @tomchick
Did you ever go back again?

All the fun aside, its nice to hear from other adults about how their fitnessadventure is going! I’m almost 50 (in 2 weeks, yay!), and a recurring theme is slight injuries/hurts and so on, that makes excercise not so easy as it was 10 years ago.

There’s the 1000 mile thread too. Old people limping bravely onward! That one gets pictures too :)

Thank you for asking!

I’ve concluded Aqua Fit is not for me. At least not the class at the Y closest to me. The acoustics are terrible, so I can’t hear the instructor, and that’s even before the music blares over everything. What’s worse, because the instructor is in the water, I can’t see what we’re supposed to be doing. No one can, which means everyone mostly does their own thing.

When I used to do step aerobics, you spent the hour learning moves and then chaining them together into a longer routine by the time the class was over. There was a sense of learning and accomplishment, of the whole class working towards longer stretches of coordinated movement. Even if it was just dopey one-two, one-two, one-two step movements in different directions, it took your mind off the fact that you were just trying to keep an elevated heart rate for an hour.

But there’s none of that in Aqua Fit, mostly because you can’t see the teacher’s body and you have no idea what she’s doing unless she gets out of the water to show you. It’s madness! And the people who show up tend to be, um, well…“low commitment” is one way to put it. It took a few sessions for me to realize that Aqua Fit is basically Elderly Social Swim and I’m not quite there yet. Soon, maybe, but not just yet.

Also, weirdly, I get freezing cold after being in the pool. It’s thirty minutes of sheer misery trying to get warm in the locker room! There’s a much nicer YMCA within driving distance that has an outdoor pool. I might check out what their class is like.

But in the meantime, I’ve just gone back to what I know. Some light lifting, then a bit of time on the treadmill to elevate my heart-rate for a while. I don’t know if there’s a cause-and-effect situation, but the recent health issues I’ve been dealing with have actually gotten better in the last week. I don’t think the exercise is the cause, but it’s certainly been helpful.

Don’t you miss being fearless? I marvel at how Tom Cruise can still run at full tilt at his age.

-Tom