Age of Conan - 700,000 accounts

Look, Brian, I told you, I’m SORRY about eating that heart in front of you. I didn’t know the guy was your friend. I was hungry, okay?

What does this mean? Chicks do more damage than dudes? Or vice versa?

-Tom

Vice versa. Attack speeds for females are slower and they’re not compensated because, swing-by-swing, they do the same damage as males. They just take longer to do so.

Note, however, that they are aware of the problem and are working to fix it, with an estimated time of two to three weeks to implement whatever fix they finally decide to make (most of it, it seems, spent in Q&A).

Here is the official post on this issue.

Wow. How did that ever make it to release? Blunders like that weren’t excusable at the dawn of the RPG era, and this is a top-tier modern title.

There’s still a memory leak in there somewhere too…

As much as I’m enjoying the game, it does have it’s set of “shouldn’t happen in a modern release” problems.

I bet the programmers intended for female to hit harder because the breasts lend them more weight behind their swings…

/laugh…

That reminds me of a funny anecdote. According to “the Official Book of Ultima,” all the weapons in Ultima III have the same damage coefficient, whether they be a dagger or a +4 sword. Evidently only the strength multiplier affects damage done.

Same here. I usually last at least 4 months but with AoC I quit before the first billing!

Fret not, my friend. When I said “backlog”, I meant unplayed/unfinished PC games! Having an MMO around tends not to agree with my backlog. So I quit AoC and I’m now enjoying Bioshock…

YEAAAH!!

You gotta admit no flesh and blood DM would just be merrily nodding along with this. If there were any glee it would come from the certain knowledge these “revelling in our evil” type characters would be in for a big surprise once they hit the big city.

It’s not a game breaker and, maybe, concessions need to be made for an MMO. But, sheesh, I hope we see more MMOs designed with the idea that the game systems exist, in part, to support immersion, versimilitude - a logical and plausible experience that doesn’t giggle at the notion of suspension of disbelief.

The only one I can think of that does this solidly is Eve Online. LoTRO also gets an honorable mention. But beyond those?

rpers are ghey lol

…Oh, sorry. I forgot these aren’t the World of Warcraft forums.

How could you leave out SWG? What with their Imperial Wookiee Jedi and all.

As for AoC, I did pay attention to the night Tortage quests and I did understand my character’s personal story. Perhaps I didn’t make the connection between that and the game world. AoC has been nothing but a series of problems for me so I haven’t been able to enjoy the game for what it is. I think I encountered every known bug out there. It did not make for a favorable first impression.

The unfortunate issue I have with AoC is Arena Season 4 was just released. There aren’t a lot of non-terrible PvP shaman on my server so my friends are all dragging me back to play, and while I did my 75k honor grind already on both my toons, I’m left with two other accessory sets to grind for and my 4-5 times weekly PvE commitment to contend with (and dwindling free time).

The PvE stuff is relatively painless but the PvP grind is still a horrific timesink. So I’m left with two choices: a.) grind out my honor so I can play with a number of my friends, or b.) have fun playing AoC. It doesn’t seem like much of a decision but I have to factor in friends I’ve played with for almost 4 years now and it’s hard to say no to WoW. So while I do look forward to coming back to AoC in a couple months, I just don’t think it’s worth using my stack of time cards when my playtime in Hyboria will be sporadic at best till the WoW timesinks are all taken care of.

I hope these are really good friends because that’s a pretty horrible commercial for WoW. :)

Oh, don’t get me started. I’ve vented probably too much about the utter disregard for setting in SWG. Such beautiful worlds, diverse character customization, awesome graphics and (initially at least) animation. I wish whatever standards they held the graphic design team to for compliance with the setting was what they held the gameplay to as well.

But there are different kinds of immersion and SWG was cutting edge in terms of creating a space that felt like a real community with variables in resource gathering, the need to combine efforts on a wider than guild scale to create a functional economy and production model, the initial promise of player cities and player run governments…

Way, way, back in the first few months when SWG was full of promise and discovery I didn’t worry very much about how closely things stuck to canon. It was easy to imagine yourself as a colonist on a backwater planet, which was the initial RP angle of my old player city, somewhere the war just hadn’t touched yet. People cooperating to gather resources and build up businesses and initial settlements, supporting each other locally with local made goods, and nothing on the vendors at all because we were the first folks there.

Overtime, of course, hyperefficient and massive guilds simply creamed local producers and the shanty towns outside NPC cities, the only cities with starports, became the smart place to set up shop because it was more convenient for folks than having to hoof it out to some distant settlement. Even after shuttles and insta-transport vehicles were introduced the pattern was set and remained in place.

At that point, the server getting more interconnected and networked all the time, there was an initial rennaisance of roleplaying as communities merged, broke up, came up with different ways to interact (custom rule sets for guild wars and warrings for example) and competed to host the bigger events.

Ultimately, though, it was all but impossible to pretend you were part of a small isolated community of colonists anymore and that’s when the “where’s the Star Wars” really kicked in for us. And, at that point, it was growing increasingly clear that the design was heading away from the big, visionary, goals and pursuing more conventional gameplay schemes driven primarily by the vocal, short attention span, PvP community. A community that would shortly leave, never to return, with the introduction of WoW.

Somewhat surprisingly, the feminists have no problem with AoC at all. Yes it has whores and slaves and nudity but the dudes are pretty much naked too, and the female attack speed disparity is a bug. They’re being entirely reasonable. In my googling I did find a pretty funny douchebag academic analysis, though.

Conceptually, this is representational Hysterectomy…

Wait, why did you post the first part if you were going to ramble on anyway? ;)

Now THIS is the academia I know and love to hate.

In other news, they’re still patching the game every other day, and doing a somewhat better job of communicating with the players than they did at launch.

We will see how the game continues to evolve.

Actually, this bug caused me to cancel. I would have cancelled anyway but this was the tipping point. Not sure if its a bug or was intended (I’ve been hearing conspiracy theories of how it was intended to be true to R.E.H.'s vision and finally someone during the developement process saying, eh are you on crack, you can’t do this, and sweeping it under the rug.) Tinfoil hat on! I couldn’t care less about the boobies, the slaves, etc because it was all cosmetics and I dont give a shit about that, but when my gameplay is affected, thats a different matter entirely. Since theres plenty of mangina’s in the game, many reluctant to relevel another toon, coupled with all the other issues, I imagine there were other cancellations too.