Age of Empires, 2, and 3 coming in new Definitive Editions

You have to love Age of Empires for some of the brilliantly ridiculous situations and tactics that it can conjure up, haha. Bulgarians totally worth adding to the game with AoE2:DE just for some of the shenanigans in this video alone.

Iā€™ve been playing the Age 1 definitive edition the last couple of days. It irked me a bit that all the unit graphics and audio acknowledgments were apparently redone from scratch, but I suppose the old stuff was too compressed to work with. Anyway itā€™s a solid effort to my mind and still ā€˜feelsā€™ like the Age 1 I know and love.

AoE1:DE has improved quite a bit since release. My hope is to spend some time with both DE games over the holidays, but we have a new puppy that needs attention, so not sure how much gaming Iā€™ll get in.

Niliā€™s Apartment Cup 3 has started today:

Currently Viper is playing Hera.

I donā€™t quite understand what their broadcasting format was - it seems live but they also fast-forwarded at times.

I dont know what was going on with that. I know they were having issues with the spectator getting desynced, but the time drift was odd.

For anyone that uses the AoE 2 DB app (android, not sure if on ios as well) it has been updated to have info for DE.

New patch for AoE2 DE came out this week too.

No love for Vietnam.

This was quick:

Also @legowarrior did you see the announcement for Hidden Cup 3? Should be a good one. MS pitched in $50k for the event.

Nili has an interesting event coming up as well. One person picks a map and 2 civs, then the other player picks which of the 2 civs he would like to play.

Yeah, Hidden cup is always exciting.

But, I worry about balance still. Persia has really gotten a lot of play time, Vietnam still sucks, and the new nations are still OP. I am looking forward to seeing more changes.

By the way, that is a nice set of change they are giving away for it.

As for AoE 3. Itā€™s just not my jam. I love parts of it, but there are things that completely turn me off.

Iā€™ve liked it a bit more with time, but I also never was really into it. Iā€™m just surprised they are ready to do a beta. I wonder if this is just a test of moving things over to the server backend that they are using for the other DE games and AoE4, or if they really are getting close doing a beta for it. Probably not as much work that needs to be done with the engine.

Canā€™t we just get Age of Mythology DE? I liked it so much more.

Age of Empires 3 had four features that I never liked.

1). No drop off location. It made base building seem not important. You could just flee at the first sign of trouble without too much investment lost.
2). Building limitations. It was just akward.
3). Too many unit types. It was good in the base game, but it became more of a jumble in the late game. It was hard to see what the best options where.
4). Cards. Just cards. You had to grind for the cards. You could only use cards once, limiting strategies. It could railroad you into a particular game play style, so you lost flexibility (because everyone need to optimize for whatever strategy they used). Finally, there were so many of them.

It was just the worst. Fewer cards, made cards you could reuse more often. Maybe cards that got better as you aged up. Any of those would have helped.

There is hope that AoM has a future. Adam Isgreen has hinted at it a couple of times. Donā€™t know if that means a possible DE or an actual sequel.

Oh right, those cards in AoE3. I had mostly forgotten about that stuff. I liked that AoE3 tried to make the factions a little more unique and very slightly asymmetrical, but it also meant having to learn a lot of other things.

I donā€™t find the new civs OP at all any more. The Cumans basically dropped off the meta completely.

On the flip side, high level players are loving the change to the Khmer - no longer needing a building to turn in food from farms, every farm basically works like a food relic.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Nothingā€™s more frustrating than losing to worse players because theyā€™re more aggressive.

The problem with Age of Empires is that once youā€™re economy gets disturbed itā€™s almost impossible to get it back into order. I probably need to rebind period (.) to q just to make retasking villagers faster. Thereā€™s also some delayā€¦ I mean microscopic, but still sometimes I have to double click a hotkey to make it ā€œstickā€.

Man, just like the old days.

Also, always wall. Always always wall. Some people whine that walling is a waste - everytime I fail to wall, though, I lose. In 3on3 / 4on4 games, a few knights are way, way too destructive and hard to stop.

Good news everyone.

There are balance changes.

Mongols got steppe Lancers and Vietnamese got a much needed buff.