Age of Empires IV

That’s fair. I only played the first expansion, and I think @BrianRubin played the second, and I think the strongest aspect was the storyline and hero creation.

Still, I am hopeful about the Update.

Yeah definitely stronger than the base building, which isn’t baaaaaaad, just not as strong as the writing.

I’ve only seen the first one, but I’d say I agree!

I was trying out the observe match functionality, watching a bit of a 4v4 and watched someone fence in a trading post, but then followed it up by putting their market right next to it so they generate 1 gold a trip:

I’m only a few missions in but the unit path finding on this game is driving me up the wall. Half my units are literally traversing around the around to go attack a unit instead of just going up 200 pixels.

I was hoping that usage of attack-move would remove the need to do unit micro but I guess that’s not where this series is at in 2021…

I’ve had a bunch get stuck in trees and other objects when moving across the map.

It is a good game, but just feels like AoE2 and AoE3 made a baby. That isn’t all bad, but for me it is missing overarching structure.

The population limit reminds too low and the game feels small as a result.

And my brain has been overly trained by modern grind, but I have nothing drawing me back between skirmishes. I would love a single player sandbox campaign that mimics something like Age of Wonders Planetfall or Battletech. Cards/leaders/stats/units… Something to work towards and unlock.

As it stands I think it will do fine for focus who prefer multiplayer.

I felt the exact same way during the betas.

Is the 4k video add-on just video, or is it also hi-res in-game textures too?

just video

So totally not necessary then. Need to save my SSD space.

Yes, it is just 4k HDR versions of the videos.

There are excellent slow-paced RTS, though, e.g. this one:

Not at 200GB there isn’t! ;)

LOLOLOL

They do look really good though.

They look like something made by Absolute History.

I got this installed and toyed around with it last night. It’s definitely Age of Empires. I like it a lot more than I did III, which I never really enjoyed all that much. It’s a lot more Age II/Mythology than it is Age III from what I can see. I like that.

Performance is excellent, which is honestly very welcome in a 3D RTS, but that’s for me a product of not being invested in the genre lately and having PCs catch up to where these games needed them to be for full 3D with lots of objects/units running around.

I’m not much for campaigns, so after playing the tutorial stuff I just went straight to skirmish. I was barely keeping up with the AI on Intermediate, so I need to practice more (I chose the French) before hopping into an online match, but I definitely enjoyed the loop of build to fight. Looking forward to playing some more.

There are big changes to the play style but they’re of kind and kind of subtle to pick up on unless you’re super experienced with Age 2.

Age 4 is a lot of fun right now, though I suspect Age 2 will retain its crown in the competitive Age community. I do think it makes you go back and look at Age 3 a bit harder. I think the card system in Age 3 makes it such a messy game that it’s kind of an unsolvable problem, where you can certainly see build orders ect emerging in Age 4, but I think in retrospect there’s more to like in 3 now that there’s a 4 to compare it to.

Yea I hated the card system in Age 3.