Age of Wonders 3

This is pretty much all I’ve ever done in 222 hours of playing it. I started the campaign that came with the game, instantly hated it, and never went back.

I also love setting up a random campaign putting in allies so it’s a team thing. Like me and one ally against 4 AI’s on the other side. This is just a great bit of fun I rarely run across as an option in most games. And the best part is it means I don’t have to fiddle with diplomacy, my one guy is on my side for the whole ride, and the other side is against me for the whole ride, game on.

Yes! Locked teams are absolutely the way to play. Diplomacy is barebones and easily gamed. Less talking, more conjuring The Wild Hunt!

Agreed. even when I’m not doing actual teams, I use locked teams of one so I can ignore diplomacy.

So weird question; has anything done fantasy strategic warfare better since AoW3?

Turn-based, 4x? Not in my book. If you include the RTS space, Total War Warhammer 1 & 2 are aces for my money. Between the two? AoW3 takes the crown.

For my money no.

But you knew I’d say that.

EL had some.interesting ideas but turned out to be a boring game imho.

I get bored with Age of Wonders 3 literally every time i play it. I mean, because of this thread i tried playing last night and basically fell asleep.

Whereas i could catass a Total War game for a weekend.

And I’ve put something like 30 hours into it in the last week.

Hah! I wouldn’t use the term bored, but I can’t ever finish a game of Total War. I find the battles so tedious and monotonous after the first handful, and the strategic layer is just complete ass so I can’t really focus on that and autoresolve the battles.

I don’t love AOW3 as much as others here, but I do like it quite a bit!

What’s hilarious is this is how is exactly what I feel about Age of Wonders 3! The only thing the AI is capable of doing in AoW 3 is ganking your heroes or weak units.

That said both games have pretty much solved systems at this point, but generally i find the balance in Warhammer 2 much harder than Age 3 in the initial phases. Trying to break out as Morathi can be excruciatingly difficult even on moderate difficulty levels, for me at least, once three or so factions come at you. Your diplomatic situation will decide whether you live or die.

And nothing has ever beaten the Attila campaign where i fled to Africa with one unit and a general, rebuilt my Ostrogothic stack, moved into Spain, and had an epic campaign against huge odds rebuilding whilst Attila himself leveled every city east of the Pyrenees.

Maybe that’s the difference. Total War games are front loaded in their strategic and tactical difficulty, while Age of Wonders 3 this seems to be more at the back end. So i AoW 3 i’m tooling around for 5 hours attacking neutral camps and looking around the map, where in Total War i’m at the peak of the Chick Parabola.

That said i rarely if ever finish a game. I mean, i’ve literally never finished a game in Civ V. I’m not sure i’ve even reached the modern age in Civ V tbh.

And I’m the opposite. I played a lot of AoW3 but I don’t think I ever finished a campaign from any Total War game - and I don’t think I’ve attempted more than 2 games from any version. I usually enjoy them for the first 5 hours or so and then find them dull. TW Warhammer is the only one I really feel tempted to try again.

Edit: I think Kevin may be my tactical game buddy!

I finished a few Shogun 2 campaigns and at least one for each of the big DLCs. Man, I loved Shogun 2. Completely and utterly bounced off of every other Total War I’ve tried spending any real time with.

AoW 3 is probably my most-played strategy game of all time at this point, or close. It’s just so good. The Empire Building mod is a lot of fun too.

That said, it is a much better game with locked teams and city founding ON, since those mitigate some of the harder limitations of the AI.

I played a lot of AOW3. I enjoy Total War Warhammer. My sister is devastated that they moved away from fantasy though for this round. It might be a generation we actually skip.

I have this same problem, and I keep thinking it’s because I don’t know the game well enough. Because I don’t know what my build order should really be, or what techs I’m looking forward to to unlock, nothing I’m doing has any real meaning to it other than ‘hmmmm, that looks good, I’ll click this’. If I knew ‘OOOOO flying foozles are unlocked in 3 more turns and they are AWESOME’, I might be much more excited to play the game.

As I’ve said before I think, so many of these games really require you to understand on a pretty deep level what’s going on. My tolerance to get to that point just gets lower the older I get. I’m pretty convinced that if I knew everything about AOW3, I would enjoy it, but trying to stay awake long enough to get to that point has been a real challenge.

It’s just the moment to moment gameplay, with no anticipation that bores me I think. ‘Oh…I can build a builders hall that lets me build other stuff 10% faster’…woah…slow down…don’t have too much fun all at once there. Stuff like this makes me sleepy just thinking about it.

Is anyone who doesn’t enjoy a game ever not bored?

Well, there is Dominions 5.
There is always Dominions.

I think I’ve quit a few games because I was frustrated, disgusted or otherwise turned off by the game but not exactly bored. I mean I don’t play Civ VI unless coerced by my sister because I find the way the AI plays as infuriating but not because I am bored.

Your sister has great taste!

Your sister is a horrible person.

I’m so confused.

AOW of wonders went sci-fi.

I don’t play CIV6 because the AI sucks. I don’t even need the AI to be good so this has nothing to do with difficulty either, just, I want it to be able to play the game. It right in my face every time I play that it can’t do that. Thus the reason I don’t play CIV 6 is not due to boredom.

Right, bored isn’t the only reason people quit playing a game. Boredom is often one of the reasons because I just bounce off a game and the lack of engagement ultimately results in boredom instead of entertainment.

I’m pretty much never bored by things I’m engaged by because I find them entertaining.

Example for me: used to love RPGs, these days can’t stand’em, I hear an NPC say the same things over and over about twice and immersion is gone and all I want to do is kill NPCs to make’em stop saying the same things ;)