Age of Wonders 3

I get it. Was just making some lulz about how I agree with your sister about one thing (boo sci-fi AoW!) and disagree on another (whoa mama Civ VI is a disaster).

She’s a lot like me and a lot not like me. She is a gamer but she’s not quite as into certain games as I am. She played dwarf fortress for awhile, so I told her that means she can’t really disclaim the gamer title. I love fantasy. I never get tired of orcs, elves, whatever. Sci-fi is… okay. I will give them a chance though with the new one.

Civ, Civ is her baby. We’ve been playing since the very first one. She loved V and VI so… she’s probably a lifer with the series. I am praying something else comes along to get me out of VI, Anno, Thea 2, or Planetfall… any of them has got to be better!

I don’t know…

I think AoW3 is quite simple on some levels.

If you’re overwhelmed by options, start as a Human Sorcerer.

Very flexible and forgiving.

Go for a medium map and set yourself the goal to attack the first AI capital within 20 turns.

Then subgoals for your next game, e.g. mass phantasm warriors

I’d like to offer a few observations to maybe make you enjoy the game more:

• AOW3 has a quite active multiplayer community, these are the ones obsessing over min-maxing with what class, what race, what school of magic etc. Don’t listen to them if you’re just starting out :) I’ve played AOW since 1 but only single player - I usually just go for a random character and let the chips fall. Too difficult? Just take the difficulty level down!

• AOW is a wargame not a Civ clone. Unsure what to build? Build something that expands your economy or adds to your army (or maybe just save your money for a next turn). Then with your heroes and armies - go out and explore. Fight the easy battles first to build up your levels. If a site is too hard, go somewhere else first and come back when you are ready

Can anyone tell me how to find magic items that go to your vault? Or how to move magic items between your vault and your heroes? I completed a quest by building the first item forge, and i got a message that I received a magic item, but I can’t find it.

They appear in sacks on the ground (essentially on top of your city with the forge). You need a unit on the same tile as the sack. An icon will appear toward the top-left with the sack. When you hit that, you’ll see the contents. Click on one of the items, and you’ll see what it is, and another option just to the right will be the little delivery box to send it to one of your heroes (who you then choose from a list). The number of turns it takes to get to them depends on how far they are from that location.

The item inventory is one thing I am so happy got upgraded for Planetfall.

I used to spend 5 minutes after a big battle s just trying to sort through loot.

Thanks. I found the stupid sack on my Capital. That is not remotely intuitive.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Great to hear!

Oh items on the ground are in a Sci fi version if the sack.

When you win a fight, or otherwise acquire an item, there’s an option to “send to arsenal” which is accesible by every other hero.

It removes the need to remember who had what etc.

Oh hooray! That will help with larger games for sure.

Game is currently FREE (while supplies last). Can someone give me a quick rundown on it? How does it compared to HoMM or King’s Bounty series?

And speaking of HoMM, if I hated the puzzle like nature of its campaigns, will I like AoW3? Basically I’m asking if AoW3 is more systems driven than HoMM and if it allows recovery from mistakes etc.

Yes and yes.

Nice! So it’s a little closer to Civ and its likes?

Yes, but with (pretty good) tactical battles and lots of options in terms of global spells, summons, etc, like in Master of Magic (but not that “broken”). ;)

Yep. This 4X, but lighter on the city building but also with great tactical battles instead of usual bad 4X tactical battles. I’d say the tactical battles are kinda more like mini new XCOM stuff - units with cool abilities.

@Bateau AoW3 is much, much less snowbally than HOMM. The campaigns are…okay, but the random maps are absolutely fantastic and very customizable. The AI is not awful on the strategic side, and solidly competent on the tactical side. Lots of different combos and strategies to explore with race/class/map combos.

Thanks everyone for replies!

Think “Modern Master of Magic” and you’re getting there.

This is old but should give you a sense of the game before you use up the bandwidth to install it.

Thanks Scott, I bookmarked it and will watch tomorrow at work. As for bandwidth, I think the game was only ~4gb in size? Installation was over super quick in any case.