Age of Wonders 4

Well, in the Dev Diary you see the Golden Golem which is a T5 unit. Generally though it’s not really that we introduced a new Tier, we’ve mostly just rebalanced and inserted a Tier between Tiers 2 and 3.

Right, totally forgot about the blog - I assumed last night the video was sort of in place of the blog, so I have that to look forward to as well!

Thanks for the clarification, that sounds great - I think having more tiers to distinguish power levels is a great thing.

Was this shown in a MP or SP match, out of curiosity? If SP, I would love if one of the Triumph folks could confirm that’s also available when playing multiplayer.

This was SP but they did mention you could turn this option off for MP, which I suppose implies it’s something that can be on for those games if all players consent. Given @ShivaX and I approach these are co-op experiences, I’m glad for the option to leave it on, if I did indeed correctly glean that information.

Fantastic if so. I also play this as co-op and undo/revert can be SO handy for a misclick or a “Wait a minute, I didn’t want to do that!” moment.

Old World has an Undo feature but IIRC it doesn’t (or at least didn’t when I played) work in MP, which was disappointing (if understandable). An option to allow/disallow would be perfect.

I believe Old World’s does work in MP now, there’s discussion in the thread about a duel game where the player will play the turn, then undo it, and redo it with narration for a video, which seems like a pretty neat way of conveniently explaining what you’re doing.

Sweet, that’ll come in handy if I jump back in. Thanks for the heads up!

I thought I’d generally skip the dev diary stuff and be pleasantly surprised when the game is released. But I gave in, and watching the video today, and honestly, I’m pretty much on board with the game. I really like some of the quality of life changes. One subtle feature, based on a few assumptions. I see the sector management of Planetfall is in, but it looks more streamlined now, so I can choose the exploitation from the map directly? No longer do I need to go into the city, look up the sector name and then choose the exploitation?

There was another QoL feature too, but I honestly can not remember it right now. Although, having a censor bleep out all the swearing from my mouth would be useful too! It took living in the bush for 3 years to result in me swearing like a fucking sailor.

The look and feel of the game is really on point for a fantasy game. It just looks great. I’m very impressed with how it’s going. Yeah, I’m so onboard with this. And the fact that Planetfall has been my game of choice for the last few weeks (as I progress through the campaigns) is just the gravy on top.

Dwarves! My weakness! Well this will be a day 1 purchase.

Something interesting is happening this Thursday…

Oh so I’ve heard :)

Ooh! Hopefully another video.

I meant to come here and talk about the narrative/event system from last week’s blog but forgot - it’s super impressive sounding tech!

Did you hear wrong? All I see is the weekly blog…?

But it’s a neat one, so I’ll link it here, as well as last weeks that I was mentioning earlier that talked about the cool narrative systems in the game.

Ohhh just saw this on Twitter - faction creation is being shown by several streamers through the day.

Pre-orders are live! 50 bucks USD

Info on planned expansions, if you opt for the $40 extra Expansion Pass version.

Expansions are exactly what I hoped - more forms, tomes, realms, and etc. Just more content basically.

Pretty pricey for what seems some should be included in the base game. Reptilian rules for example. Unknown what types of animals are in the base game vs the Primal Fury and it looks like the Shadow Demons were offloaded to the Eldrich Realms. My heart wants to trust the developers will provide a lot of this type of content in the base game and these will further expand, but my brain knows how Paradox works.

It’s not like this is available content on day 1 they are cutting and selling seperate, you’re talking about DLC that will drop months to a year after launch. How do we not as a socieity understand how DLC works at this stage of the game?

That is exactly what Paradox does with other games, why would it be different here? As I said, it remains to be seen what is included in the base game or if the entire theme is offloaded to a DLC. It would be akin to offloading Frostlings, Dwarves, Undead or any other theme that was included in previous AoW titles to DLC.

I’d argue that it doesn’t even matter if it’s available day 1 or not. People either think the content in the base game is worth it or not - and that’s fine, it’s their money and their call, but to get bent out of shape because content isn’t included in the base game is just kinda silly.

I don’t even care if content was withheld to put into DLC as long as the base game is worth whatever price they charge.

This is where I’m at, but I’ll never understand the argument so I can’t really have a discussion about it.

And I was surprised the base game is only $50 here - that seems an incredible price for the amount of content we’ve already seen, let alone what we have not yet seen. There is no way I won’t want each expansion as they come out as another excute to fire things up and do one or two more runs/games, so I may as well buy them all up front instead of paying $10-15 one at a time.

A few videos from today.

Up first, PartyElite details in painstaking (but appreciated) detail all the options for setting up a faction to start a run.

Next up, eXplormerate talks about the game as he’s put over 50 hours into it.

I am only a few minutes into both, but this was a quote I found interesting from the second videos coments.

There’s not much point in having it. I was still seeing “this should have been in the base game smh” for content that was coming out 8+ years after EU4’s launch.

The 1.0 release product is what it is. Buy it or don’t based on what it is. It’s really not any more complicated than that, but people twist themselves into knots about it (not intending this to be directed at @zenblack).