Age of Wonders 4

The rally lasts for 15 turns, and then it renews.

I definitely find the same thing. It may vary somewhat by culture – I have been playing High for the most part – but even prioritizing gold producing buildings very early, I still find that gold is the main limit on what I can get done

In their defence, every new AoW game is a bit sideways, backwards and forwards.

that is because it was more distinct. In that particular example, more distinct because Dreadnought doesn’t exist in AoW4 :P but also because you can mix and match bits of “Dread” and “Sorceror” as you like, whereas in AoW3 once you picked Dreadnought you were committed.

I have about 300 hours in, and to be honest if I do get time to do some gaming, strong chance I will pick Planetfall, or something else entirely, but maybe AoW4 because I do like the story realms and the set piece realms (like Voss Brothers) and I like the city management.

I can think of at least a dozen ways to put in some “real” faction differentiation, simply by working off the game mechanics.

Resources are an example, as is stack size, unit cost, upkeep, city size etc etc.

Basiclaly “change how faction x interacts with rule/mechanic y”

We did. 6 was introduced in 3.

From memory, the rally lasts until the next one happens, but recruiting points don’t carry over. So you don’t need to hustle to sell stuff in order to get the units, they will be there a while.

I find imperium to be limiting, and mana at a certain point. Gold is rarely an issue :S.

Ha, good to know! Now I am laughing at myself for panicking at 1 AM that I would lose my chance at a Bone Dragon if I could not scrounge up the funding on the spot somehow. What a hobby. :)

In AoW 2, if you focused on a particular domain of magic you could cast some pretty world changing spells at the top of the research tree - converting your domain to fertile plains, or desert, or ice (freezing water!) or flooding the land. I was pretty disappointed AoW3 seemed to miss the world-shaking magic.

What’s AoW4 like here?

I don’t think world changing is what they went for here. As an example, here are the highest level Nature spells:

https://minionsart.github.io/aow4db/HTML/NatureTomes.html?type=tome_of_the_goddess_of_nature&

AOW3 late game had spells that would radiate terrain changes out from your territory.

Also some AOW4 shenanigans along the astral tome path. Astral Reflections (summon 2 copies of a unit with 50% damage) on heroes is abusive, since they keep all their activatables, including refresh skills and refresh action points.

Probably could handle a full 3-stack of T4/T5 fully operational (with T5 Astral 100% magic crit and T4 Materium stun on crit).

I am surprised at this. Seems to me that roads can even be abused. You can turn on road building and it actually increases the army’s range on the turn that it is building the road. Which really makes no sense at all.

What I meant by that is that roads make your movement cost a flat 5 per hex (which is as low as movement costs go in AoW4 without a nature empire perk that reduces movement by 2 in your domain). However, 5 is the same cost as grassland and maybe some other terrain depending on culture/traits.

Personally, I think roads should provide the best movement cost per hex in the game. Make it 3 or 4 movement cost per hex for roads so they make a little more of a difference and give you an incentive to spend the gold to build them. I wonder if road movement points can be easily modded?

Ah, that makes sense. As someone who hikes a lot on dirt roads and grassy areas, I would have to agree that the dirt road is quicker.

I haven’t played through all of the tomes, but there is definitely a spell that radiates snow/ice outwards from your territory.

From on top of my head, you can turn terrain tiles into fertile and forest, there the radiating frost, and chaos has a spell that turns a pretty large area into ash fields.

Yea, the dark book has is half undead/half ice magic and there is a spell that spreads ice out from your cities. And weirdly removes mountain ranges which I discovered much to my distress the time I cast it.

I just finished my massive map game and found out a few things. There is a cap of 30 population for a city. Even though I was playing with the megacity setting, I still hit the cap pretty quickly. I think it should be increased when you can have only the one city. It really limited my expansion.

The hero/leader level cap is only level 20. I know you could turn that off in AoW3 so I’ll have to check the settings to see if they included it for this game as well.

Yesterday I quit a game because no matter what, clearing the nearby Wonder crashed the game. I had seen lots of crashes previously, but always random stuff that did not repeat when I went back in and continued.

So I started a new game this afternoon, went to clear my first Wonder, and I am getting a crash again.

Is anybody else seeing this sort of thing?

Not quite what you’re asking, but there are thankfully plenty of mods to extend the level limit and/or give more skill piper level.

Not yet, but I’m sure the time will come. I’m assuming no mods? That’s the kind of behavior I would see in other games when something would make a call for a list which had been “helpfully” renamed.

It’s working for me again, fingers crossed it will continue.

It had been crashing without mods, but I suspect that the problem may have been that I was playing with some factions created with mods (additional colors, smaller unit symbols) in use. Anyway, I deleted all custom factions, verified the installation, and a new game seems to be going fine.

Thanks for the tip off that it could be mod related. I tend to assume that these purely aesthetic mods won’t interfere with anything, but that is not necessarily true.

Yeah, I have 4 mods installed: The massive maps mod, a mod to increase unit movement, a mod that increases the hero level cap to 30, and a mod that increases the city population cap to 50.

And buried at the bottom is this little promise

We are just at the beginning for Age of Wonders 4 and look forward to expanding and improving the game longer than we have done any game in our history.

It sounds like they’re improving the parts of the game that need improvement, though ending the game really needs the most work and I haven’t seen anything on that yet.

But to be fair, I don’t think anyone has solved the problem of how to end a 4X game. The spectrum of solutions runs from godawful all the way up to barely tolerable.

I’ll bet that there’s a very strong correlation between people who love 4X games and people who have no compulsion to complete run throughs.