Age of Wonders: Planetfall by Triumph Studios

I’m not sure I like the “bait the AI into one bad fight, then steamroller their empire” design.

I’m stuggling playing the Amazons. The bombardon and Queen are great, but the slow strat map move is really annoying. The T-rex is ok, but the combination of a short range repeating attack with a strong melee attack is anti-synergistic, and they are surprisingly fragile. I think my favourite unit is probably the humble tier II lancer. I like the increased move, the flanking damage bonus, and the high damage single action ranged attack.

In other news, acid rain is ridiculous.

Alot of units are like this by the way.

Game is really quite brutal.

Should only really work on the first AI empire, and that’s if you rush them, on normal difficulty.

The empires after that will require more fighting.

Higher difficulty definitely.

From a bigger picture perspective, getting the balance right between decisive fights and your opponent not folding immediately is quite tricky.

I think the Kirko felt different than the other 2 I played. Maybe it was more because of the genoplague tree.

Compared to AoW3, where the emphasis was squarely on classes and thus said classes needed to be very distinct, I understand where you are coming from.

Also, this being a fixed tech tree, and being presented as a solid wall of tech, makes some of the things a bit hard to parse imho.

AoW3 had an actual book, so you saw at most 12 techs at any one time (unless you turned the page) and each one had a nice icon.

So I do get what you are saying.

However, I think the shift onto racial tech is a good one, and the tech tree works.

My only real gripe is it would have been nice to have something better looking!

Question for those with a lot of experience with this game…

Those dwellings. You can, of course, try to befriend one. But it is likely that the others are just going to be sources of ever-rising levels of extortion, with no upside to me. Either give in to their extortion, or perpetual war.

1. I assume that if i wipe out their main dwelling, they are gone forever, correct?
  2. But whether to put significant resources into accomplishing that depends on whether they are equally problems for my AI rivals. Do we know whether the other factions face the same situation, whereby they can only effectively befriend one, and, more importantly, whether they face the same level of extortion? (It’s not that I mind if the AI gets an advantage in this regard, but I am a lot less likely to wipe out dwellings which are causing my rivals as much trouble as they are causing me.)

I’m not bored but I think it would be cool to have more differences, especially in the social techs

I don’t generally agree, but there aren’t very many racial techs either - most of the techs (Firearms, Psionic, etc. - the damage channels) are shared and always the same, giving mods and general operations to use. The secret tech is where the bulk of the crazy comes from, and I’m okay with that because it all synergies in fun ways with the racial and damage channel research. The racial techs, however, all have very, very unique units for every race, which is the meat of what faction you want to play as, plus some racially specific and incredibly powerful operations and docterines.

What are people’s build strategies for cities? In general, I am now going to do energy first, then food, then production, and lastly research. I also try and scout for areas that have that special resource (which I can not remember at the moment) to build cities in. Also how quickly do you build cities and how many do you build before going more tall than wide?

Research building in the early game gives you quite the decent boost.

Still working through my first game but I started out pushing food first. More pop means faster expansion, which means more of everything. Not sure that is “best” and hopefully there are many viable ways to go at the start as that makes for a better game IMHO.

I forgot that doctrines are social techs; operations are military, right? and the basic economy techs seem to be all the same?

I’ve been mixing up depending on what the nearby sectors are like- if there are couple of two food sections nearby than I do production or tech and if not I start with food. It also depends on whether I take an extra large starting colony

I don’t understand what to specialize sectors in - that is, if I’m trying to ‘play to the terrain’. I usually go for whatever I have 2 of the same resource icon.

I find the society techs interesting, and I enjoy deciding among them. I find the combat techs pretty same-y and boring. I just shrug and pick one.

I’m not sure what you mean by Economy Techs - if you are referring to the Social Techs, yeah I think those are the same for everyone by design, so everyone can build up their empire. Note that even withing the society stuff you have a lot of decisions to make like going espionage, having more ops points and doctrine slots, or expanding various types of sectors and upgrades - you can’t do it all, not until the very, very late game in my experience. And I believe the top section of Society Tech is indeed unique itself to each faction, too.

Syndicate Society Tree:

But there are Strategy Operations (overworld map stuff), Tactical Operations (combat stuff), and Doctrines (“global enchantments” that don’t require upkeep but need a doctrine slot). Those are all unique to the race within each racial tech tree.

Syndicate Military tree:

I believe that between the goodies unique to each faction in the Society Tree as well as the Military Tree and all the completely unique per faction units (unlike AoW3 there are no shared units any longer) we have some very powerfully defined lines between the various factions while maintaining a level of symmetry that allows for a balanced experience (theoretically). Just my two cents.

I think this part of the game could use some work. I feel like I’ve made some of these decisions willy-nilly and it hasn’t really hurt me (on the middle difficulty level). For my first colony I typically go food at first since the faster your population grows the faster the colony expands. But I keep my first colony fairly balances out.

There are a couple things that drive where I want to expand.

1. If I see where the enemy is coming from I want to get land that halts there expansion in my direction.
  2. I want to grab the provinces that give me bonuses, like a building that gives +5 food or something.
  3. It helps if you can group a certain terrain type in a province so you don’t have as many things to level up on a per province basis. This doesn’t seem to work out as much as I usually hope for.
  4. I will go sub optimal later, especially is I need to ramp up my energy income.

Sometimes the UI doesn’t make is easy for me to see what would be the best. I need to zoom out and hover over things.

I haven’t planned ahead too much for this, but after getting the techs to level up a province, some techs unlock cool things to specialize provinces - like discounts on troop production. I feel making smart use of this can be important if I bump up the difficulty past the middle.

I do feel the pace of research and building things to so quick that I don’t need to smartly prioritize things because I never really need to wait much. If colony improvement X only takes 3 turns to build , then why not just build it for the small boost? I mean, I know that might not be optimal, but if I don’t have something else pressing I usually just build things that give some type of economic benefit. I will skip military production buildings in provinces I have no plans to build in. I also wait for the happiness buildings until I need them.

Thanks for the Bulwark tips guys, all good points. I didn’t see any Dvar mods, other than enhanced trencher fortifications, that jumped out at me, nor any Xenoplague. Maybe I should have picked a different secret tech for Dvar.

I could imagine some races getting different versions of the exploitation techs, and even race-specific buildings as in Civ.

I would be into that for sure - maybe it’s something they can do with one of the planned expansions.

There’s a mod (Firearms line, I believe, which is part of Dvar’s tech package) that boosts your RANGE, which IMO is the best stat to buff in the entire game. Putting those on your Bulwarks allows them to hit everything your Trenchers can hit. It’s nasty.