Age of Wonders: Planetfall by Triumph Studios

I mean, Civilization has had an auto-explore for a… number of iterations at this point (don’t ask me when it first appeared). It makes vague attempts to stay away from hostiles and does pick up goody huts. For anyone playing the default difficulty it’s fine. On Deity when you actually need every single thing to survive early game I wouldn’t recommend using it.

It would certainly be a nice QoL feature.

I don’t need an auto explore, but I sure would love better notifications of enemy movements a la Total War and most 4X strategy games. I don’t know how many times I’ve missed armies because I forgot to zoom out and switch to the Military tab that particular turn, and the map visuals are so messy it can sometimes be difficult to spot an army right under your nose. Hell, I’ve lost my own army at times: “I know I had an army right around here somewhere when it finished moving… ahh, there it is, the dimmed pastel icon blending in to the terrain”.

I turned on “show enemy movement in terrain I have line of sight into” or however it’s phrased and that’s made a huge difference here. It should probably be on by default, but I understand why it isn’t.

Wow. I didn’t even know this was an option, and I had actively looked for it. For inexplicable reasons, it is called “Observer Mode”. In other strategy games, it is called “how the camera works because it is the only way it makes sense”.

Well, my potential enjoyment of the game just increased pretty substantially, as remembering to visually scan the map for potential enemies every turn on huge maps was too much work to find out information I should inherently just know (a hostile army is moving in my line of sight).

I remain baffled that this is something you have to toggle on, and that it’s called Observer Mode rather than “Camera Tracking” or something. But life is full of these little mysteries.

Yeah, I only just recently discovered it myself.

Remember when a unit/army is moving, either on the over world or in combat, you can right-click to speed things along (such as for allies or neutrals you don’t care to watch wander back and forth) while still keeping the animations normal for any preceding units that might go after.

Just asking because I’m wondering if we’re talking about what I think we’re talking about.

Is observer mode the one that pulls the camera around all over the map?

Yeah, I had no idea that was an option either. Thank you, gonna enable that.

I was thinking maybe instead of autoexplore they just let you set multi turn movement paths into the fog of war.

That way the player is still responsible for pick ups etc.

Hey Mr. Bloody, do you happen to know why it is I have to reconfirm everything all the time? Why do I have to reconfirm all my multi-turn moves? It kinda defeats the purpose of plotting a multi-turn move. Same thing is true for “building” Energy in my cities, why do I have to tell it to do that each and every turn?

Mmm, in my last game, I didn’t need to confirm any of that.

Strange.

Or I’m not understanding the message right.

You might get notifications but you can mostly ignore those.

You can? I swear I tried and it the game insisted I address both movement and city build queues.

I thought there were settings that changed the behaviour of move confirmations, not sure about the energy/research building in colonies. Although I like having them both on because the movements of my opponents and world events affects where I want to move and I tend to forget that I’m building energy/research in a colony if I’m not reminded.

If I was to change anything, it’d be the colonies automatically switching to energy building when there is no production set. It seems to adjust my total energy per turn and I hate seeing it plummet after I set new production. Leaving production empty and forcing me to choose would be a smoother choice for me. Is that a function of automating your citizens within the colony?

There is.

Nice! Apparently this game just has a lot of weird (to me) default settings. :)

If you don’t action them the units will move on their set path, or just not move at all.

And cities will default to just producing energy.

I get that, but not the issue as far as I understand.

The issue is even when a city is defaulted to produce energy, you are still asked to set that cities production. And even when you have an army set to move to a point several turns away, you are still asked to move that stack.

It’s possible you can right-click to dismiss those alerts, but I swear when I tried before it never works, so I end up having to manually drop several “produce energies” in a city build queue to stop it from alerting me, and similarly I have to manually click “move along plotted course” for my army stacks (often forgetting I had plans for them and moving them elsewhere).

EDIT: Confirmed. I set a city to produce energy and set a waypoint for an army, and ended my turn. The next turn right-click just cycles between the “confirm army movement” and “set production in city ~” dialog, you must set production and manually move/click the move-to button on the army.

Ahh ok understood.

There is a bit too much clicking imho.

@BloodyBattleBrain

Don’t suppose you or anyone else would want to give a savegame battle file a try? It keeps crashing on me ~ rounds 2-4 in the latest beta. My computer is rock solid normally.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=44485294655085917960

Ok, I know I’m not imagining this, until recently in this campaign I was getting either 10 or 15 cosmite a turn, and as you can see in the screenshot below I’ve got not one but two cosmite sectors connected to two different cities. Yet as the screenshot also shows at the top, I’m getting only 5 a turn.

So, any theories on what would cause me to lose 10 cosmite per turn? Is there some action the AI can take that lowers it I’m not aware of I need to counter?

Tier IV units :)