Age of Wonders: Planetfall by Triumph Studios

I concur with this feeling.

I should clarify that I love the game, that’s why I’ve been playing the crap out of it. But because I’m playing the crap out of it, I’m starting to chafe at the monotony of the early game. Not a major gripe, just thinking out loud and hope there’s things they can do in the upcoming expansions.

I played a ton when it first came out and it lost its luster or me too. I have little doubt the first expansion will breathe new life into it.

I’m still have quite a bit of fun in coop against the AI in a team format.

I have to try a bit more coop; that does seem fun. I’ve spent too much time on the campaign, I think.

But I do agree that the early game has a certain sameness to it. I actually have taken a little break to fuss around with Imperator and to play Civ 6. I do like Planetfall, but I hope the devs consider ways to give cities more individual flavor than they have now.

I’m pretty sure they’re collating feedback and working on something.

I totally agree. I’m always near to last in score in the first 1/3 of the game because I don’t expand rapidly enough. In the mid-game, I start clawing myself up the charts because that’s where the work I did early starts paying off. Unfortunately, it usually isn’t a winning strategy because, even though I can compensate for some of the slow expansion, I can’t overcome it as there is little to no territory left that doesn’t have a claim against it or isn’t owned by someone else.

Yep, the game rewards combat and conflict despite the diplomatic options available. I’m always going to be better off if I just arm up and attack. Hard for me, as it goes against my instinct and nature when it comes to ‘civ-like’ games.

AoW has never made any bones about being a wargame. Turtling really isn’t gonna work.

Well, I mean it can sort of work. I’ve gotten by with 3 or 4 cities more or less situated together. I spend a fair amount of time just building them up, counter punching the AI’s that come at me. Once I’ve got 3-4 stacks I send them out to go gobble up the nearest sectors and/or city of whoever has been attacking me.

From there is pretty much rinse and repeat and recruit a prateroian guard who mind the home front.

I mean ultimately you’ve got no option but to expand of course to win a scenario, it’s just this route isn’t really a rush, it’s more me taking stuff away from the AI who rushed all over the map. You do have to have a certain size of base to scale enough initially to do it of course, so I guess that’s sort of a rush, it is critical to grab some turf at the beginning, but you don’t have to just keep running the whole time.

One of my biggest issues is that I feel like I am always just kind of blindly guessing at what to research. I’m never sure what I should be optimizing, and so usually default to whatever gets me more doctrines.

I’ve over a thousand hours in AOW3, so it is weird to feel so…meh about this game so far. The muddiness of the map is also part of it for sure.

AOW3 has more players than Planetfall now. Think this game isn’t holding players.

That seems to be a leap. AOW3 has been out for years and available for dirt cheap via sales, it likely has a much larger install base. Even so, Planetfall has a 30-day average 20% higher than AOW3.

What’s this now, Orbital Relays eh?

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/age-of-wonders-planetfall-dev-diary-49-orbital-relays.1257542/&fbclid=IwAR3XonQEo33CYxZynBO1MdZguyHHKSDcSEEC1kVpEgLPPYTUJFm8MfCGAcU

Looks good! Buildable terrain features like this sound like a good idea to me.

And I have been playing the crap out of this game, fwiw. Love it love it.

I haven’t played in 2 plus weeks, due to work issues and general extreme business, which is unlikely to change.

Which is a shame as I do maintain there is much more good stuff going on in this game.

AoW:Planetfall is free to play this weekend on Xbox One. Not sure how that promotion extends to other platforms. It’s also 20% off there as well.

Fwiw, I have it on good authority that there’s some sexy stuff inbound.

Paradox is announcing the details on Saturday, yes?

Yes, 10:00AM CEST.

Can’t wait!