Age of Wonders: Planetfall by Triumph Studios

On random maps, there are setting to tweak the availability of these landmarks. Experiment to find what works for you.

I suspect because the USA is a huge market for this game?

I don’t know, ask @easytarget!

I quite like campaigns for now, Zhelezo clan needs my help.

I called it interesting, you called it strange.

For fuck’s sake, can we not pick arguments over pointless things like this? Talk about the game.

My thoughts exactly.

After my initial one day marathon of the Vanguard campaign and the resulting initial negative feelings, the game has started to grow on me. I spent a lot of time away from the game overnight thinking about it and am eager to dive back in tonight.

One frustration is the constant quests and dialogues from the neutral faction (Paragon). They litter the map. They block every resource, trespass my land, and lock in my borders. Am I supposed to just keep doing their bidding every few turns and bribe them to leave me alone or vacate resources? Can I just ignore them? Should I be killing them? I wish their quests were less frequent and worth more. It is a headache having them tell me a new random place to go every few turns. Its like I need a dedicated flying army just to crisscross the map for Paragon quests.

Also, it seems like there are two options for animation: default (super slow) or fast. Is there anything in between?

Oh. And how am I intended to read faction standing? I see two numbers with each having an arrow. Shouldnt my standing just be one number and its going positive or negative (one arrow)? What does (left) 175, (right) 500 mean? Are the neutrals on the same scale? Minus 200 for exploiting a sector next to them would be off the charts since I’m struggling to get positive 50 for buying stuff after dozens of turns.

I’ll chime in on the NPCs, I tend to at least initially be friendly with them because I don’t want to waste time and resources fighting them and the requests they send (which I agree come a bit too often for my tastes) are usually relatively benign and not overly burdensome. Later in the campaign though I often decline their requests because they strike me as absurd (for example it’s not unusual for them mid-late campaign to ask for you to mfg something that takes over 1,000 or ask for 100+ cosmite).

In general you’d have to blow them off or annoy them a bunch of times in order for them to declare on you, so keep in mind you’ve got a reasonable amount of latitude in sometimes simply electing to ignore them (i.e. I routinely ignore their requests to go kill a 6 unit stack made up of a T4 and T3s).

I think the AoW 3 campaign is leagues better than this one. I feel no connection to the story nor the characters in Planetfall, but I was totally vested in AoW3.

Meh, I bounced off both of them. For my tastes the freedom to pursue campaigns the way I see fit is the way I like to play all strategy games.

So I just wanted to call out as a suggestion to not base final judgement of this one solely on the campaign.

I tend to murder the NPC factions rather than playing their little games. Early on, some quests that aren’t too far out of my way? Sure, I can dig it. But if you can annex a single dwelling through conquest, a L5 exploitation is almost certainly better than whatever nonsense from quests.

But all those juicy tier 3 and 4 units for Influence points!

Yeah, I tend to have an abundance of influence by mid campaign and burn it on mods they sell (some of which are rather good) and treat their units you can recruit as an emergency defense army.

That said, I can see where Adam is coming from taking them out, both options are worthy of consideration. Personally the times I’ve taken them out though was not from strategic consideration, it was because I was simply tired of them bugging me.

You can do both.

Be friendly with one faction and aggressive with another.

I don’t often do it, but it is viable.

Also, dont worry too much about them declaring war on you.

I always buddy up with one at the expense of the others. Typically I team with the Automation. The plant people are the worst.

Heretic.

Fertiliser shall you be.

The Growth make great homies for Xenozons.

Yeah, except bugs, glitches, and misclicks happen. For my part, the lack of a manual save is potentially multiplayer killing. I don’t trust iron man settings not to screw me (or others!) over.

I love the plant race.

I meant to come back and post this last week but I totally forgot - the same day I posted in defense of the single-save, iron man game @ShivaX and I had to abort our game due to a crash that repeated every time we loaded into the game. We submitted the save file so hopefully the crash gets fixed, but it was a lot of lost time - hours into our game, and no way to just roll back to a previous save or two. Very frustrating.

Finished the first Dvar campaign mission. It ended in a very familiar fashion: I’ve besieged the only province of cyber-undead guys for dozens of turns. Same often happened in AoW3: they have several stacks of units and only one province, in this game they’re even weaker cause you can capture parts of the city. I’ve won but I had to throw units in there, and in those cases it’s very tempting to autoresolve combat, you’re drowning them in bodies anyway.

But in general I liked bigger battles more than in AoW3. In AoW3 it was hard to care about all the little units when there are a lot of them. Here you see more diversity. Robot minor race gave me a lot of support units linking the net, and those are perfect for sieges. Basic Dvar infantry unit is great bullet sponge. Brigadeers have explosive damage and support stuff. It’s all much more interesting than AoW3 where every unit still had to be a good damagger expended to do at least some melee.