Age of Wonders: Planetfall by Triumph Studios

Only on Xbox Game pass, which runs out in April for me. So, who knows how long I would have the game available.

Don’t give me excuses! It’s currently 57% off ($21.25) on GMG:

EDIT: Even better, it’s 60% off ($19.99) at Indiegala, as are the Deluxe and Premium versions (60% off, that is).

Thanks for the consideration, and it looks great, but I’m drowning in games!

Definitely interested in playing in the future though!

It’s in my gaming plans for 2025.

Sadly, I have a lot on my plate right now between Age of Wonders 3 and Dominions 5.

Thank you for thinking of me though. It certainly is tempting. Age of Wonders Planetfall has a lot of cool improvements that I appreciate.

Yeah the current version has many improvements, both over AoW3 and over vanilla PF.
That last patch was…monstrous.

I need to get back to this. I finished the base game campaign on Xbox, but haven’t touched the DLC or the game since the Tyrannosaurus stuff was added.

Check to see if you have any messages from Xbox. They sent out free DLC to a lot of people who played it before the Tyrannosaurus.

Thanks! I bought the mega deluxe edition with all the DLCs initially.

Tyrannosaurus update is so good man, you’re going to love it.

Did the tutorial campaign update with the new features they’ve added since release? I have the season pass so I have the first expansion. I haven’t played in ages and the refresher from the tutorial can’t hurt.

Everything we’ve added with the Stegosaurus & Tyrannosaurus updates are available in the base game campaign. So Exploration Sites, the Economy changes, Orbital Relays etc. are present and can be used during it. The only big change we made that would affect how you play the Tutorial Mission is related to annexing and not needing to have a army stack on the centre hex to annex it. Elements we added that are specific to the Revelations Expansion such as the additional Marauders/Wildlife and Anomalous Sites are not available in the base game campaign.

Thank you

How does this game compare to Civ 5 in terms of the strategic layer? Civ is a fantastic game in many ways but one aspect I don’t like is the chaos and minutiae of late/end-game, where I have no idea what I’m doing and feel overwhelmed.

It’s much more streamlined than Civ:

• the map is divided up into sectors, which can host either a base or a district attached to a base. That keeps the map clean and organized, and encourages players to spread out.
  • armies on the strategic map are fewer and more significant than the units in civ 5.
  • diplomacy and espionage are straightforward with clear consequences.
  • far less time is spent hitting the next turn button while waiting for something to happen.

I think Planetfall is a great game to turn to if you’re feeling burnt out on Civ but still want a 4x experience.

Appreciate it! I grabbed it while it’s on sale.

One of us!

I know the vast majority of you don’t generally care for campaigns in games like this, but…

For those who have played the campaigns, are there any that generally stand out for being good? Historically I’ve tended to play them, other than scenarios in Civ. I played the 3 Vanguard scenarios and I guess the main complaint I have is that they seem to promote play that is fairly different than how I’d play a skirmish game.

So given a task or goal in a scenario, I will typically focus on that goal or scenario. If I don’t need to expand or build a strong economy, I won’t - even if I enjoy doing that, because I am goal oriented. The Vanguard campaign consists of a lot of moving someone to this hex, then go over here, maybe kill this army … Do any of the campaigns promote / require an approach that follows more closely to a skirmish game?

I’d be interested in feedback on this as well.

The Vanguard is the worst campaign. I liked Dvar and Amazon much better.