Age of Wonders: Planetfall by Triumph Studios

Yeah - I ran into it a third time now. Rather ridiculous to keep playing with that particular bug around.

No smoke without fire.

I have never gotten this, on turn 130 games.

But at least two of you have…:(

I’ve gotten it too. It’s related to the latest patch, never got it previously.

Sector bonuses do nothing for your colony core, no.

I haven’t had the freeze bug yet, but there’s supposedly a fix for some such issue (“stuck on opponents are moving”) in the open-beta branch now available on Steam. A dev posted this yesterday:

You can switch over to our Open Beta branch in Steam which has a fix for this issue. Once you’ve made it over you should be able to continue your game.

This fix apparently solved the issue for the player reporting it. Link to the thread here: AoW: Planetfall - Stuck on 'Opponents are moving' | Paradox Interactive Forums

I’m not sure if @Sharpe and @Razgon and others here are seeing the same issue or something else, but the open beta might be worth a try.

Double bah now I ran into a second bug - twice now in my current (restarted) game, have gone to play a tactical battle and the game has crashed at the point where the Tactical battle screen typically loads. I’ve never encountered this before. And it started happening as I got into the mid game with somewhat larger battles.

Hopefully the patch will reach full release shortly.

Triple Bah!! I downloaded the beta patch and tried my game further and after a few turns ran into the same crash upon entering the tactical battle screen. Grrr.

Sounds like the universe really doesn’t want Sharpe to play Planetfall. :(

-Tom

Fight the universe @Sharpe

My part of the universe wants @Sharpe to play! The Spockverse is on your side, Sharpe.

It’s taken 100 hours of gameplay, but I’m finally starting to grok this game. Watching those Black Arrow “advanced gameplay” videos has really helped. He’s not necessarily an expert player, but he explains every decision he makes, and he often thinks of stuff I don’t. E.g., he pointed out that a mod that debuffs an enemy on each hit works better on a repeating weapon than on a one-use weapon like a sniper rifle, since the latter inflicts only one debuff. Why didn’t I think of that? Also, even when he doesn’t know something, the commenters on his YouTube videos correct him. E.g,. they pointed out that overwatch has one less range than the normal range of your weapon. I didn’t know that.

The series I’m watching starts here. He’s playing on Very Hard, 12 opponents. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rjhL6X1dyc&t=189s

Jesus there are a lot of bugs in this still - recent game, around turn 30, and suddenly colonizers doesn’t work anymore…!

Edit : Quitting and reloading fixed it.

Double edit : This “bug” wasn’t as much a bug, as me being an idiot! Sorry!

That’s new!

Thanks for reminding me - That one part may be me who was an idiot. I am sorry, but I do think someone may have parked a colony close to where I was planning to use my colonizer in fog-of-war area. I mistakenly thought the game had an issue, since I’d seen something like that before, and reloaded a save a few turns earlier.

Sorry! Sorry Lennart! I hate when people spread false stuff on the net myself, so I really don’t want to be one of those! Amended my original post as well so all can bask in my idiocy! Forever!

Has anyone had much success on maps that start with two allied NPCs? I only played one world like this. It was on a lava world with two elitist warmonger syndicates who pretty much declared war on an AI player, defated them, then declared war on the next. I think I was the 3rd in line and promptly died when the marched 6k armies to my capitol and I died.

I do not even play on these maps anymore.

I also tend to re-roll planet choices a lot until I find a set of faction quests I am interested in. There are some factions / techs that I do not get, like sythesis. I played them a bit, but didn’t see anything amazing or cool. I have not even tried psynubria yet, maybe I should.

Is there any strategy guides that goes over the techs and says what is really so special about them, as in how to use them properly?

I don’t think so.

I find the “key” (I use the term very loosely) is to figure out what strength you want to lean on with your main faction, and then go through the techs to figure out what complements that, or patches up a weakness.

For example, if I am going Vanguard, I know I want rail extension tech (further range) sooner rather than later, and on as many things as possible.

Or I want to go engineer missile spam.

Or a combination.

So I look at my techs, and I see synthesis gives me a useful way to tune up my integrated troops, and a way to heal them constantly (which complements my nanite healing tech, or allows me to not use that tech, so I free up a slot) and a cool Synthesis unit that also resets actions, like the Pug does, but is tougher and can shoot.

Or I look at Void tech, and see there is tech there to make my guys harder to hit, go through obstacles, and a unit that is good in melee, meaning my shooters get to love, and therefore shoot, for longer. Not much healing, so I’m going to use my nanite healing tech alot, and Pugs. There is a mid game Voidtech unit which does heal though, and it flies, and it allows me to teleport enemy units, so again, the basic tactic of lots of rifles (and overwatch) works.

OR,

I could look at Vanguard and decide I want to focus on the unicycles, as those are sturdy, do great damage. In that case Synthesis is also a great option, as is Voidtech, but maybe I might consider Xenoplague here, and aim for a number of pustules, who are great at occupying the enemy, so I can flank better with my unicycles.

Another point to consider is your tactical operations, or “nukes.”

Psynumbra has a great, single target + stagger operation that is available early, and has mark of the dark sun, whihc stacks damage if that unit lands the killing blow = that makes me want to lean into putting a sniper rifle on my leader, giving him or her rail extension, and using a variety of other units as a meatshield. High single target damage that keeps scaling with every kill means I want to damage using the other units, e.g. the Unicycles, and feed kills to my hero (or other high damage unit.)

Or, I might consider all of the above, but this time for the Dvar, and think what unit do I want to be using most of the time, and why.

With Dvar, the Bulwark is high damage, but surprisingly flimsy. The base infantry are much sturdier, and can handle melee. And the Dvar support unit is…not good imho.

So, I’d be looking at what can I use to output more damage here, in which case Psynumbra most likely.

Or Celestian for mass healing.

Some random strategy thoughts from recent games:

celestian

Man the Celestian healing mod is nuts. That by itself is a strategy.

Didn’t like the Star Guide much, lots of cosmite for a decent-but-not-amazing support. AOE Blind is great when it’s on cheap-as-free Huntresses, not so much on my massively expensive but soft T3 support.

The bouncy punchy guys (uh, the tier-2 guys, they teleport and punch) are scary as hell if you can give them any kind of decent survivability. The Arc Retaliation defense mod worked out great like it does on any melee. Recommend stagger resist if you can find it too – they really need to land the teleport to be effective but it’s range freaking seven! And they get to punch after! Pow!

synthesis

The trick to Synthesis is that the early mods that add integrated to your dudes are cheap and awesome even aside from the integration. Then you add the synergy with the many awesome tactical operations and you’re in business. Wasn’t blown away by their units but the game didn’t go super long so I didn’t get deep into the tree. Strong tactical ops.

assembly

A little beef on the T1 Scavengers goes a long way. The staggering Shotgun plus solid vampiric melee makes for quite a capable and versatile frontline.

Reverse Engineers are just crazy freaking good. Tactical AI loves to waste its turns killing Constructs (and if not, hey, free unit) and their heal is also a res. Hell yeah. Best part: They really don’t need any mods to be effective. Save your Cosmite.

syndicate

A few thousand posts upthread @BloodyBattleBrain was extolling the virtues of fairly basic Overseer + Indentured armies and I was all like, “Whatever man, those units are lame!” Boy was I wrong. Get a level and/or a mod or two on the Indentured and they start to do real damage, and the amazing Overseer ability to refresh their turn plus their long range (7!) means you can do some fairly gross bursts of damage. You will need a Plan B for things with lots of shields/armor/resist because their base damage is so low, but that’s what snipers/heroes/ops are for. If you can spare the Cosmite and the research to start cranking out Indentured with both the stun and chain mods, you’re probably going to win pretty soon.

amazon

are you fucking kidding me their void walkers ride dinosaurs fml

Amazon Void Walkers are (chef’s kiss). Tip for Void Walkers in general: stick your good grenades on them. You charge toward the enemy, void duplicate, then both you and your copy toss a grenade. Glorious. And Void tech provides a good one early on in the tech tree!

I had that bug at launch on Xbox One. Same solution too - quit and reload the save.

Unless I’m mistaken, Razgon later clarified that it wasn’t a bug – his colonizer wasn’t in a valid spot to colonize.

For my second planet, I increased the overall difficulty to “Normal” without fussing with any of the advanced difficulty settings. I’m still holding my own. I chose an Amazon hero but forgot to give her Xenoplague instead of her default Synthesis. I’m missing all those cool plague-ish abilities, but I do have a couple armies of machine units, and I suppose Synthesis works equally well with biological units anyway?

Also, with six opponents, I’m not sure what victory condition to seek. My planet has an interesting unique feature: no settlements. And it has a unique victory condition: I win if I control 4 particular thingies, whose name I forget, and none of which is close to me.

Finally, I have water on one side of me, but it’s full of scary sea monsters. I’m not sure whether to keep expanding on land or take time to develop my own scary sea monsters.

Depends. Is there cosmite in them thar depths?

Aquatic sectors can be quite powerful, but as always you should prioritize cosmite income and act accordingly.