Age of Wonders: Planetfall by Triumph Studios

I’ve been reading this thread for quite a while. Thanks to all for their thoughts and comments.

I just went all in on this. I used the GreenMan Gaming E3 25% discount to order the Premium Edition (comes with the Season Pass). So yeah, bring it on!

I’m saving my Xbox rewards points for the Premium Edition which will pay for almost all of it by August.

Most excellent!

I hope the game is worth it. I don’t usually preorder stuff, much rather let others go first. But this looks fantastic so far.

I want to support strategy games like this for Xbox since I left PC gaming behind a few years ago. That’s the only thing I miss on PC, so hope to see more games like this and Stellaris come to console.

Did the developers every confirm if there is some sort of single player campaign or is it just create your own maps a la civilization?

Yes; campaign as well as sandbox

Sweet thanks, pre-ordered

Sigh, I’m trying to pre-order less…but it’s Age of Wonders. Got the premium edition because I’m a sucker. ;)

Same :)

This Premium edition is a decent deal … if the game is good.

There’s every indication it will be, plus they have a proven track record. This is unlikely to be a repeat of Rage 2, for example. Sigh.

Yes, it feels like a safe bet. It oozes goodness at the moment. I’m pretty excited about, and I rarely get excited about new releases (huge backlog).

I need you to taunt me @lordkosc until I buy it :-)

@robc04 did you buy it yet?

Not yet, I intend to… I think :-)

I’m obviously biased but the game is an improvement in pretty much every way requested.

Exceptions being:

Still 6 units per stack
Adjacent hex rule not expanded
Game still pauses in tactical combat in multiplayer.
No battle only / arena / last stand mode.

But those 4 are things I suspect most people don’t care about or are extremely technically demanding/impossible.

And I am among the more critical of fans. 😂

Heh. I love me some AoW3, as we know, and I’d be seriously annoyed if they changed combat stacking & scale like that ;)

Well they kind of have changed combat scaling, in that Planetfall is designed for you to have fewer units over the course of the game, but those units to maintain utility for much longer.

The reason I wanted larger army stacks was because they used to be 8 before Aow3, and the late game in Aow3 had too much clicking to move stacks.

They’ve kinda solved this by having fewer stacks even in the late game, so reaching a similar end point, with different tools.

As for expanded adjacent hex rule, the thinking was that it would remove the split stacking issue once and for all.

If you recall, adjacent hex works by having the attacked army and the surround ring of hexes involved.

I proposed the expand that to, say 5 hexes radius.

But,

Have all armies outside the adjacent hex take
time to arrive on the battlefield.

That way positioning would still matter a lot.

Make it so you need 2 turns for the next ring (adjacent hex plus 1) and the next and the next, so armies 5 hexes away would require 10 in combat turns to arrive.

That way you don’t need larger battlefields.

Poat combat, those reinforcing armies to lose their movement.

At the start of combat, allow the participants to choose which armies, if any, are to reinforce.

So there is a fair bit of thought, because you might use all nearby armies to tilt the battlefield odds in your favour, but that leaves them without movement, so your opponent might be able to move unchallenged, going right past your “exhausted” armies.

As far game pausing in multiplayer, this has been much requested and would be nice. Apparently impossible to do.

Last stand /arena mode is something I’ve been bugging the devs about for a long long time!

I don’t think your ideas are bad, for the record, but I still prefer the much simpler board-gamey existing rules around adjacency. It’s absolutely crystal clear, the AI already knows how to deal with it, and it makes plenty of intuitive sense even if it’s not “perfect.”

Totally agree on the late-game clickfest; we’ve discussed that upthread. IMO there’s some low-hanging UI fruit (execute all moves, city rally points) that would solve like 85% of the problem. Hope they find some time for those.

Multiplayer ist mir egal, as the Germans say.

Yeah I am in the minority regarding expanded adjacency hex rule.

I also thought a zone of control on the strategic map would work too. :)