Age of Wonders: Planetfall by Triumph Studios

I have this problem where I play the game, but then the other players are also playing the game. Then they’re stronger than me, and I lose.

So I just asked a question -(in Tom’s stream) - say you build a colonizer… I get that it can colonize a new place… can it also give you a settlement if it goes to “the wire” --I mean otherwise all you get is an “outpost” so can a colonizer grab you some settlements to exploit?

I didn’t realize the AI could “see” everything. No wonder I’m getting sniped left and right. I just irritation-quit my current game because of it.

I think I’m going to go back to Thea 2 for a bit, give myself a chance to regain morale for this game.

I don’t doubt you at all, but so far I haven’t noticed this. I haven’t felt like the AI has done an end run around things it should know about. I’m playing a medium map. I wonder if my empire hasn’t been large enough to require the AI to avoid stuff to get to its target.

I have no idea how I made big bold text there. But the question remans: If you can build a colonizer and just link the main settlement with everything around it --why that is a good strat.

Could you rephrase? I’m not following…?

Are you talking about annexing sectors to a colony? If so, you don’t need a Colonizer for that, you just need enough population in the colony and any unit to stand on the “pin” for the sector you want to annex.

Kir’ko forward settled my Dvar so it was go time. My three stacks versus theirs at the second city I reached, and I think those battles are where the game really shines. Just a massive tidal wave of bugs breaking against my trenchers- but at enormous cost! Meanwhile, my own attack force of Paragon dead enders just fall short of taking their flank. The exhausted remnants of both sides meet in the center and I barely, barely come out on top. But where once I had three stacks, now there is one.

yeap I will rephrase. So mostly as I do the campaign I am told “you can annex a sector”

And I get that you can make a colony van to go grab a sector that has no intersecting sectors to your main base (or any other “colony”)

What I am not sure of is if I have a colony mobile … can I take advantage of that and make a dedicated sector? In other words can colony mobiles help with uniting sectors as opposed to just creating colonies? Seems like some infill would be nice.

Bottom line is I am wondering if “colonizers” can help with building out infrastructure in colonies.
(I am asking here but I will be experimenting in game-- it just seems like colonizers can (and I mean those vans ) do more than “colonize”)

Like Kevin said, any unit can go to the sector ‘pin’ and stand on it. This brings up the option to annex the sector to an existing colony - provided that colony has enough population as the number of sectors a colony can have is limited by that.

Rob but can a colony van let you annex without a pop ? if so yo could create colony vans and annex (as opposed to forward base) all around?

Though a colony van may require a pop.

No. You can’t use them in place of the growth necessary to grab a new sector.

MarkL ty. I may try anyways just to be sure but … if you could that would mean you could annex by spamming colony vans (assuming you had the resources)

I want to make sure we are on the same page with terminology…

A colony can be made up of a ‘main’ sector - the one you use a colonizer to create a colony, plus up to 4 other sectors. These other sectors you add to the colony by annexing them. To annex a sector, move any unit (doesn’t have to be a colonizer) onto is ‘pin’ and select the option to annex. This doesn’t spend a pop from the colony. But to annex a sector to a colony, that colony must have enough population in it.

So when you settle a colony it has one pop. Eventually it accumulates enough food and it gets another pop. When it gets to 4, it can support adding a sector to it by annexing. This doesn’t spend any pops. The colony just needs to have enough to support having the annexed sector. A colony can support having 4 sectors annexed to it at population 4,8,12, and 16.

Building a colonizer (the van) costs one pop and then that van can go create a new colony - which can then support annexing sectors to it when it hits the population thresholds.

Does that make sense and answer you question?

It does except for one thing: Can a Van (colonizer) annex a sector? Without a pop requirement? I am now thinking it will not – but in the campaign it seemed like it could.

If so, building colonizers would enable you to annex a bunch of sectors.

Yes, any unit can

No the colony has to contain the population required to support having the annexed sectors.

Colonizers annex sectors the exact same way as any other unit and all rules still apply regarding the population of the colony.

Ty Rob. I knew I asked the question awkwardly and you cleared it up.

Maybe the AI being able to see the entire map is based on the difficulty.

There’s a stealth equipment mod, I wonder if AI is affected by it. It seems like it doesn’t, I didn’t see AI rushing my city defended by stealth troops.

It’s not like total Warhammer where you just ambush everywhere and win.