Age of Wonders: Planetfall by Triumph Studios

I have somehow missed how to you set these filters, I poked around at all the buttons and taps I could find and it didn’t turn up. It’s probably something really obvious but would someone please point out to me?

You mean setting up simultaneous turns etc?

Ass me on steam and I can walk you through it.

Failing that I’ll post pictures here.

Unless @BrianRubin ninjas me.

Others may already know this, I just learned it reading the steam forums: On the bottom of the military overview button there is a way to sell excess items.

They seem to leave after 5 or so turns. It’s really handy when you DO want the hero, but don’t quite have the energy for it.

When you zoom out on the strategic map to the point it goes to the flat icon view, three buttons appear at the top of the screen: Military, Economy, and Resources (? I don’t use that one as much).

Amazingly helpful for spotting armies and planning expansion, respectively.

oh ok I’ve been using that. but sometimes the economy screen is still too cluttered, I thought maybe there were additional filters.

How do you harvest a hero for xp? There is an attack option, but its never enabled.

Yes. So that I play the game that way. I do not see anything like this in the options menu, or perhaps you mean some advanced settings when starting a new game?

That looks like a nice patch-set. I was hoping to see something about making it easier to see whether or not a sector could be Prospected would make it on there, but it doesn’t look like I did. Just to check: there’s still no good way to get that information, right?

(I’m loving this game. AoW’s strat layer was always its weak point for me – that was something I thought Endless Foo excelled at, but the Endless games have a disappointing tactical layer. It’s like AoW picked up some of the goodness from Endless’s strat map but none of the tactical suck.)

Yeah, you have to set them up at game start, you can’t toggle it mid-game.

Man, this is one sharp looking 4X strategy game. Is this the best looking strategy map of this type we’ve seen? Other strategy games look good on the strategy layer, don’t get me wrong (I quite like how Civ 5 and 6 look, for instance, and the Endless Fantasy game has a very appealing, unique style to it) but 30+ hours with this and I’m still in awe sometimes as the camera pulls over to my area when my turn starts, heck even just that little feeling when you start a new game and watch the colony ship land still gets me.

By the way, this is a pic I took while waiting for my son to finish his turn, in a game @ShivaX and I are also playing around in. He’s just learning, but he’s really enjoying it, and we just wrapped a nearly 4 hour session.

Anyone have advice on how fast to build new colonies, vs just building sectors? Building a colony costs a population point, which slow down sector building. Which is more important?

More generally, is there a rule of thumb about how many colonies I should have when? Will more colonies give me more energy (and other resources), or is there a downside?

I didn’t have a hard rule, it was more “when I felt the time was right”. I had to scout out the area, figure out what sectors my current colonies want, be able to protect it and work a colonizer into the build queue when I felt I could.

I want to grab land before its taken by the AI. If I can see them coming, I may hurry and grab some land in their direction. So I try not to delay too long as I generally want as many colonies as I can (with 4 sectors each) - but things come up and priorities can change things.

I build colonies anywhere I think I can defend, and give serious consideration to placing bases where I intend to expand. The penalties for seizing contested sectors can add up, so I like to claim areas ahead of time. Broadly speaking, if I am not in an active war, I am making colonies.

I’ll tend to scout out cosmite and try to build colonies on them.

Ditto building colonies next to a landmark, if I feel I have the force necessary to clear it sooner rather than later.

I’d say so; the game is gorgeous. Also, the character models (about which I was initially hesitant because of the “dead eye” stare that they seemed to have, as in AOW3) are much better than when they were originally shown. Triumph really made a beautiful game here, and maybe my favourite 4X-like of the past few years? Superior to AOW3, I think, though I’m not sure the traditional tech-tree-based research is something I like very much; I’d have preferred the randomized research from the earlier AOW games instead, I think.

What’s interesting to me is I had a friend (who loves the game, FWIW) mention offhand how bad the art and graphics were. Like comically bad. I just thought it was interesting, because I’ve always thought the game looked pretty good for the genre. There are some animations that aren’t the best and the map can be hard to see things, but overall I always thought it looked good.

I’m inclined to lean more towards your friend. Although I think the art fits the settings well - the more flat, pastel sci-fi vs the more saturated, vibrant and high-contrast-y fantasy.

For ex:

Compared to AOW 3, Planetfall has much less distinctive UI (honestly, flat and rectangular UI feels a bit low end) and overall the sense of terrain flatness is greatly increased.

I feel like legibility is worse in Planetfall - you have to really zoom down to see what’s going on where you can much more easily see the same in AOW3.

It also doesn’t help that 1/2 the map in the campaign is covered by “former cityscape” terrain tiles, which are possibly the least legible terrain type in the game. Notice that the entire eastern side of the map is covered by “former city” terrain which you wouldn’t be able to tell without actually playing the game.

By contrast, here’s Endless Legend and Civ 6.

Endless Legend is starting to look pretty dated now:

Civ 6 looks good today with the “make it look like Civ 5” semi-official mod by one of the art developers from the team. I think it’s called “Environment Skin: Sid Meier’s Civilization 5”.

But… you have to play Civ 6 in order to enjoy that, and Civ 6 is easily the worse of all the games here ;).

It’s a beautiful game, and only grew more so when I learned how the structures and such work, making it more functional.