Agents of Mayhem - Volition's post Saints IP

So I was going to start another spoiler/tactics/character thread but it seems like this doesn’t have much steam around here. So…

#################################
Tactics and combos discussion… Spoilers ahead
#################################

So what’s everyone using? I have a couple of different team combos that are forming, mostly based on the tank\close combat\ranged trio. I also try and have someone with air dash if possible.

One team is an upgraded Braddock, Schezernade, and either Joule or Spear throwing Shotgun Guy (I forgot his name) depending on how close in I might get. This is a great combo with the ninja blinding people, Braddock space lasering them, and a tank to run around. The ninja is so fun to cut people down with, and I’m constantly disappearing and backstabbing people from behind.

Another fun combo is Rama, Yeti and Red Card. I didn’t like Red Card at first but he’s grown on me. That combo gun really comes in useful, its like having two characters in one. He special is pretty weak though.

This game is not exactly what so thought, which was a superhero game. Instead we have a kick ass action rpg. I think the fighting is mega fun, it flows well.

When things get a bit hectic and I need to get my bearings, I push the select button on my controller. This activates the in-game options (to go back to the Ark or to upgrade your squad, etc.), and actually pauses the action. It’s useful to take a breather and see precisely where the enemies are, what your currently selected character’s status is as far as shields, health, and mayhem are concerned, etc.

If all else fails: run away for a bit. LEGION troopers tend to be a lot slower.

Good ideas, and yes it has gotten somewhat better as I’ve gotten used to the characters and systems.

I finished it after about 50 hours, including getting all chars to level 20. Even the shitty ones, like Joule. I enjoyed it, but this game is completely forgettable. There is nothing memorable about it.

The city is terrible. It’s tiny, boring, and everything respawns. This is not your typical OCD “checking off everything on the map,” because there’s no point. It will all come back. So why even bother? They do this of course, because it’s an ARPG grind and you need to have to stuff to do to level up your guys. Whatever. I just focused on Legion bases because it seemed to be the best XP and loot.

The villains were OK, but forgettable. I kept mentally comparing them to their Overwatch versions, D.Va and Reinhardt.

By the end of the game I truly hated your allies on the Ark, Friday, Gremlin, and Mixer – whom I didn’t recognize for the longest time because, really, who wastes time in a training room? They were extremely annoying and would not STFU.

I spent most of the game wishing I had a rocket launcher so I could unleash some actual mayhem, like in all the games that preceded this one. So, so many times I was on the street and would watch a Legion car drive by, unable to do anything about it. But then I realized I was supposed to use Gremlin tech in lieu of rocket launchers. Except, I spent the whole game with one and only one Gremlin tech - the Mulligan. Because on difficulty ten and above, you can absolutely go from full health to dead in 2-3 seconds. You can switch Gremlin tech at will, I think, but it’s still a pita to do so. So I stuck with the Mulligan. The whole game.

Pick this one up on sale, and go in with lowered expectations. I’m going to go reinstall Saints Row 3.

This is incorrect. The cooldown locks the slot.

But you’re right that the game is only as challenging as you want to make it. Push the difficulty level up higher for better rewards, and you’re definitely going to want to use Gremlin tech for more than just rezzing.

-Tom

My enjoyment of this is definitely starting to wane a bit fifteen hours in with all but one character unlocked. It would help if the loot were a bit more meaningful; or if the skills/abilities were more varied rather than mostly swapping one debuff for another.

Still, I’m enjoying the characters and story so far, which is enough to keep me going.

stupid question, but I’m early on and a bit confused. I know each character has two specials, one small and one big (I forget which one is called the Mayhem ability, I think it’s the big one). What determines when you can use each one? I’ve been in lengthy firefights where I could use the small special multiple times but I don’t think I’ve been able to use the big one.

The small one has a cooldown timer between uses, and the big one (Mayhem) has a meter that needs to be filled first.

and what fills the meter? It’s not just damage or kills, is it? Do I need to do headshots or something tricky?

I think damage and/or kills; though there may be other factors, too. I usually just get into a firefight and sooner or later a notice will pop up that the ability is ready to use.

I think I wound up using the Mayhem powers more than special abilities because you get a big notification that Mayhem is available, whereas I was constantly forgetting that the specials were a thing. The only exceptions were Daisy and Yeti because their “cool-off” powers were their specials, so they came with notifications.

oh, ok, it’ll tell me? I was looking for a meter and didn’t see one, am I overlooking it or do I just depend on the notification?

There is both a meter (it’s above your health and shields in the lower left corner) and a big “MAYHEM READY” notification when that fills. Also I’m pretty sure using the special that’s on cooldown fills the meter.

Using the special fills the meter, and also doing “combat tricks” like headshots. Also note that different characters fill the meter at different rates, so Mayhems can be either rare or common depending on character.

Also there’s a purple fleur-de-lis pickup you’ll see occasionally, that instantly fills it.

More and more this game feels like a tolerable bag of potato chips. It doesn’t taste particularly great, and I know I should probably just put it down, but I can’t help but keep going while it’s still in front of me. I enjoy the writing and the story, but the moment to moment gameplay is just okay, and the loot isn’t enough to justify the bland and repetitive environments.I can’t imagine I’ll return to this one once I’m through the main story.

I am starting to burn out on cleaning up the map over and over and over. 27 hours played so far. I wish we could lock down a zone permanently. Just unlocked Scheherazade and she is just a pure killing machine.

Has anyone had a weird graphics bug with Joule? During the mission where you unlock her, about halfway through the screen glitched out really badly, just a lot of brownish geometric overlaid shapes moving really quickly, regardless of whether I was moving or not. It still happened even after I went back to the last checkpoint. Fortunately, I could still see the red triangles for enemies and the hacking interface, and Volta killed everything eventually, so I still finished the area.

No such issue on PC.

Nothing like that on my end. Sounds like a nasty driver issue?

-Tom