Agents of Mayhem - Volition's post Saints IP

GiveMeMore

I lost track of time and failed to preorder, glad, I can now get dat Gat.

I’m so sorry to hear that, nijimeijer. You’ve helped make some of my favorite games.

Layoffs are brutal. I know there aren’t tons of development opportunities in the Midwest, but both Raven and Human Head Studios have positions available.

http://www.ravensoftware.com/careers

"We get many letters asking… Can I learn to fight like Oni?

NO! You cannot. Sorry." - Oni

Finished over the weekend. Notes:

• I liked it enough to keep playing the open-world stuff for a little while after finishing the storyline because I wanted to see what the last type of agent file info was (the “Connections”). That was… I mean, it shouldn’t have been a letdown, I’m not surprised it was just a line or two of text, but I was hoping for more. Also I wanted to fight a Golem and you don’t start seeing those until the very end.
  • The final battle sequence was a bit anticlimactic also, but I may have lowered the difficulty level too far because I didn’t need XP or money any more and I wanted to see it, so that’s on me.
  • And I was hoping for some kind of post-finale secret video or something but nope.
  • They don’t appear to be selling a soundtrack which is too bad.
  • I never really tried to optimize my characters’ teamwork (choosing gadgets that had good synergy between characters or paying attention to overlap in enemy statuses) and never used any of the Gremlin techs that just gave additional statuses to you or the enemy. The various techs that gave you new attacks were fun though. The invulnerability one is humorously overpowered.
  • There should have been more ways to use the various resources you collect. Maybe I should have been using Gremlin techs a lot more aggressively but I never came close to having to care about the non-cash resources.
  • The buttons to change the radio station in the car never worked for me.
  • Somehow Scheherezade’s teleport attack stopped working for me after a while, or maybe I forgot how to do it after I went on vacation and didn’t play for a while; it’s just targeting a faraway enemy (such that the crosshairs turn red) and doing a normal melee attack right?
  • I wish the random chitchat interactions between agents happened more often. I only heard a couple while I was running around doing random overworld things after finishing the storyline and I feel like I missed out but not enough to just hang around in the game hoping they’d trigger.
  • My main team was Fortune, Daisy, and one of Braddock or Kingpin or Gat. The only ones I really didn’t like playing were Yeti and Red Card.

Overall I had a lot of fun and would buy DLC if it existed but it sounds like it won’t. Bah.

Works for me! Press R3.

Also, I’m at 91 hours. Most everything is done, still have shards and replay all missions cheevos to do. So I just loaded in to do a quick legion lair and found a new secret room I hadn’t encountered yet. I really like lairs. I feel like I would be happy to have a dlc that expands on the concept.

This is a direct function of the difficulty you’re playing. The game only pushes back as hard as you ask it to, and once it does push back, the Gremlin tech can be a pretty significant gameplay system. As well as optimizing your team, of course.

As for lowering the difficulty during some of the battles, I’m not ashamed to admit I frequently dropped it all the way down for boss battles. I wanted to enjoy whatever cute stuff was happening without having to bang my head against some boss gimmick.

-Tom

oh, I was playing on 13 to 15 most of the time, just dropped it once I had gotten everyone to 20. There were definitely places where that was particularly taxing (especially lairs where there were so many waves in the “kill all enemies” rooms) but I think it was more that for me it was really hard to ascertain what the statuses were doing in the chaos of fighting. Like, where being blind shortens their range? I guess that’s better than them not being blind, but the effect of dropping bombs or doves or big spheres or whatever on them was more intuitive.

Boone returns to the Saints Row creator as studio development director.

“It was strange last week, where I’m excited to be back and sad by some of the people that are leaving… it’s a swirl of emotions to say the least. But it is exciting to be back, no doubt.”

“At least in the immediate term, as you might imagine, there is going to be a lot of analysis,” Boone acknowledges. "We will be taking a look at Agents of Mayhem and working out the kind of things went well, and what we need to improve on. I don’t think it’s a secret to say that it didn’t meet what our expectations were. So our initial steps will be a lot of self-reflection of the types of things we want to improve upon. Because we are certainly capable of doing great products that people love, so it’s not a question of talent or whether we have it in us to do great things… we’ve been doing that for a long time.

“Whenever we finish a game, we always conduct our big post-mortems about all the things that went really well, and what we can improve on. With AOM it is absolutely no different, but it might be a little bit more intense.”

Yay, I guess?

For those waiting for a sale, AoM’s currently 66% off on Steam.

$20, that was fast…

And purchased. I have no time to play it, but I sure want to, and that’s a good sale.

I’m not sure they needed to jump that low already but it is certainly the case for me that $60 was too much to take a chance on mixed reviews.

I was planning on making Agents of Mayhem one of my first games when I finally picked up a PS4 Pro later this year, but 20 bucks is really cheap.

How is the PC port? Does this game do anything that would make me sad to skip the HDR?

I’m embarrassed to say I don’t know what HDR is… but the PC version has been great from what I’ve played. Pretty quick load times, no crashes, high frame-rate. I own a PS4 and do not regret getting it on PC.

I’m counting on this game dropping to $20 for PS4 soon enough. I’m hovering over it like a vulture.

The PC version has HDR.

JFC how hard is this to figure out. Build Saints Row 5, not whatever the hell Agents of Mayhem was trying to be.

Sure, but my PC’s monitor doesn’t. My TV does.

I haven’t played it yet, but I’m glad they did something different. Gat Out of Hell just felt unnecessary and I feel like SR had seen itself to the logical conclusion after 4.

This is completely nonsensical; like saying Grand Theft Auto had seen itself to a logical conclusion after GTA2, GTA3, GTA4, or GTA5.

Why does there always need to be more? What does GTA have left to say or do or show?

GTA changes viewpoints and settings and time periods, so they’ve got that. But Saints Row just escalates. And after you’ve had the president beat up the aliens as a super hero, that narrative path seems pretty played out.