Aggressors: Ancient Rome

I would also like to see how decisive will the victory be. The good thing is that sometimes when AI player sees that there is no chance to win, it offers absorption to save innocent people so you don’t have to conquer every little tile.

Do you even need to ask?

Do what’s fun for you but I’d be interested in seeing how the final conquest goes too.

If anyone is interested, player airboy wrote a very detailed review of Aggressors.

Carthage? More like… give me a minute… laughage?

I want to see them burn.

Give Carthage the sandal!
sparta

So then we come to the final stage of Sparta’s march to glory against Carthage. The will of the people has spoken: no quarter asked, no quarter given, so say we all.

The amphibious invasion commences, Spartan diplomats told the Carthaginians all the ships off the coast of their capital city Carthago were there merely because the fishing was good:

The front in modern day Europe the Spartans decided would be an area to hold fast, while full effort is put into the main invasion around Carthago, opportunities for counter attack will be taken though since a year after this picture was taken there was a rebellion, might as well let the rebels do some of the work for us:

Here the invasion of the Carthaginian homeland begins!! And in the 2nd shot below we see the capital city fall!

The last picture for this installment is of the modern day Italy invasion, armies had been massing their for years just itching for action and so the time had come, and as you can see Rome itself quickly fell to the Spartans:

SALT THE EARTH!

News from the front lines.

Sparta continued to press the attack on multiple fronts.

First completing the capture of modern day Europe, the Carthaginian expansion was kicked back off the continent!

Followed by Sparta kicking them also back out of modern day Italy:

These two pushes resulted in Sparta being awarded a military superiority victory, and rightly so:

Carthage as the current diplomatic map shows is quickly being rolled up, they refuse surrender and as we said early there will be no quarter, so the Sparta armies will march from all directions removing any trace of purple from the world map:

You definitely have had a very successful game!

It’s been a fun campaign, it was fun winning this one, but it was pretty much just as fun losing the first one because between the two it demonstrated a dynamic campaign map and a competent AI.

This will be the last news from the front for Sparta because Carthage after suffering countless defeats on all fronts at the hands of the exceptionally well trained Spartan Army (note this is not hyperbole as I spent at least a decade buffing every unit in the army) sued for peace requesting annexation by Sparta.

First screenshot is the last remanants of their empire shortly before their last bit of territory was conquered:

This next shot is their request to be annexed, which Sparta agreed to:

And finally as a result of the Carthaginian annexation we have the known world painted Spartan Red with the blood of our enemies:

I hope those of you who tuned in enjoyed in some small way my retelling of the Sparta Campaigns. The first ended in ignominious defeat but was followed by the 2nd march to glory! And with that this ends this AAR, I had a great time and of course highly recommend checking this game out if you haven’t already.

Why was @airboy’s post flagged?

Sort of curious about that myself, a rather exhaustive review that breaks stuff out pretty well about why this game is pretty good stuff.

He got flagged in the Grognard Wargamers thread too. Not sure what is up with that.

Edit: Probably because his page is called “Avery’s Game and Marketing blog”

Sure, but he just quoted @kubatsoftware from above, which wasn’t flagged.

Guess the mods are away for the weekend.

There seem to be a few reasons it was flagged as spam. The guy had never posted here before, he spent only a few minutes reading posts from one thread, and his post was comprised mostly of a link to his blog. I’m sure that it’s a marketing blog didn’t help. I don’t really mind if he posts, but I can understand why the system and other forum members might have flagged the posts.

-Tom

Explorminate got around to a review of this one, not surprisingly, least to me anyway, they liked it:

I keep meaning to try this again. I forget, which mode do you like to play? Isn’t there one where everyone starts off in the same conditions (like 1 city), and another where certain factions already start off big?

I forget, what are the differences between factions?

Seems like the Dev and Slitherine had a falling out (Are there any new updates in the works? :: Aggressors: Ancient Rome General Discussions) and a new game (with, sadly, a terrible name) is in development http://imperiumsgame.com/

e: Although that title does remind me of the great line from Stoppard

Chamberlain:
We belong to a sort of secret society, the Order of Chaeronea, like the Sacred Band of Thebes. Actually it’s more like a discussion group. We discuss what we should call ourselves. ‘Homosexuals’ has been suggested.

AEH:
Homosexuals?

Chamberlain:
We aren’t anything till there’s a word for it.

AEH:
Homosexuals? Who is responsible for this barbarity?

Chamberlain:
What’s wrong with it?

AEH:
It’s half Greek and half Latin!

Chamberlain:
That sounds about right.

If you’ve not played the main campaign, I’d suggest playing that first and starting as one of the major powers unless you of course want more of a challenge, in which case start as one of the smaller nations.

If don’t want to play historical, then you can as you were describing start custom world and tweak all the variables to your liking, there are a number of settings along the lines you saw in AOW3 random map set up.