Aggressors: Ancient Rome

Amen, Brother!

Okay, that all makes sense, the logic hangs together so I will use more common sense. I live on the coast of Maine and know a thing or two about boats. So when I gave the Trireme directions to sail to Rome (it was slightly damaged) in the back of my mind I was thinking that I would never do that in real life.

Good for you in modeling all of that.

Note to self: do not hire @orald as a boat captain.

-Tom

I’m really good at dancing with governors’ daughters, though.

Check some of the scenarios in Aggressors Steam workshop.
The Centurion scenario

The Gallic Wars scenario

Looks really good!

I had this one on the ole wishlist, sort of waiting on a sale an circled back to see how discussion of the game was going only to discover no one talking about it?!

Is everyone done with this one? What’s the verdict then? And is there any more content or updates coming out for it in the future?

In short, just kind of doing a status check on this one…

It’s ok.

On the plus side, it’s neat that your units and cities require so much hand holding; they can be surprisingly delicate things that require upkeep and supply lines and loyalty and good terrain and time/resources to rest and heal after being in combat. Or to put it another way, when everything is aligned and your units are being used well they can be very effective and make rapid progress, but when mishandled it’s easy to get into a slow war of attrition that can last for decades, where you don’t have enough free resources to make changes/reinforcements, and you never have enough flex at the front to ever assemble a really effective force or change your disposition. I like that, it feels more like an Ancients world and less like a WWII world where it is more trivial to project and apply force.

Example: You can have a unit of crack spearmen, but if they spend one turn badly out of supply, it will cause a large amount of morale damage and actual damage. From that point, it can require ~10 turns to bring them back to full fighting effectiveness. Alternatively, you might need them back on the line right frickin now. So they keep being pushed into engagements where they can’t fight at a good level of effectiveness, or they are placed into a defensive location to protect a city but where they can’t safely heal due to the threat of attack. And you don’t have a ton of units; that one spearmen unit might represent 10% of the total resources you can spare from your civilian economy.

On the down side, once you get the hang of the thing every game is more or less the same. You know the basic idea of what you need to do, and then you need to spend hours carrying it out via the clunky UI and slow moving world. It’s a whole lot of mouse clicks per interesting moment at that point.

The game is in my regular rotation, one of the ones I always find fun. But I still play almost exclusively on random maps, which I think really helps my view of its replayability.

Thanks for the replies, I’ll keep an eye out for it on sale. Sounds like it’ll be worth a campaign for two to learn and once to excel. I’m game for that.

It is actually on sale right now on Gamesplanet :)

We have received a number of very good reviews from various gaming websites in the past few weeks, and we would like to share at least some of them with you. Such reviews are evidence that the game has matured and been polished to a high level of satisfaction for you – our players.

Still hesitating? Read some of the references and step in the world of Aggressors Ancient Rome with us!

Ulvespill - score 9.6/10
https://ulvespill.net/2019/01/29/aggressors-ancient-rome-review/

Aggressors: Ancient Rome is a great indie game in the 4X genre and it really deserves a go if you like turn-based strategy.

Way Too Many Games - score 9/10

This is 4X gaming perfection. Everything is polished to a point, no mechanic is wasted, and everything comes together beautifully instead of being lost in needless complexity.

The Mommy Gamers
https://themommygamers.com/2019/02/26/aggressors-ancient-rome/

This game is deep and controlled and considered. Every element has been chosen for a reason and implemented with care.

Spanish:
Gamers Hub - score 9/10
https://www.crgamershub.club/2019/02/13/aggressors-ancient-rome-analisis/

Turkish:
Strategyturk - score 8/10

So, should my first game be with simple and advanced tutorial check boxes checked? Does the advanced one just continue where basic leaves off?

Both tutorials are in-game. Once you finish it, you don’t have to start a new game, you simply continue playing.
You can run them separately in different games or have them both turned on in the same game. In that case some of the tasks of the advanced tutorial are skipped and once you finish basic tutorial and you continue directly with the advanced one.
In the basic tutorial you cannot “pause” it. It is guided and you follow instructions. Advanced tutorial can be paused or some tasks skipped altogether. Both tutorials can be cancelled anytime.

I definitely recommend to turn on the basic tutorial for the first game. I would also suggest to have the advance tutorial turned on for the first game. If you want to play straight away (after you pass basic one), you either pause the advanced tutorial or cancel it (if you don’t want to follow it). Advanced tutorial is not guided and it just suggests possible (new) options.

Great to see that the game is receiving the recognition that it deserves. Well done Pavel and @kubatsoftware

OK, thanks - I’ll keep them both on for this game.

So my first game I started in the ancient world as Rome and I’m still plugging along - although it looks like Carthage may be getting too powerful to defeat.

I just realized that with the custom world start, I could set development low and get a more traditional 4X start - no techs researched, a unit or two and one city. Anyone have experience playing this way? I typically like to start out small instead of inheriting a larger area like I did in my Rome start. Any custom world settings that seems to work well for a more Civ-like experience?

Yes, I almost always play on a Custom map. The default settings lead to a fairly traditional 4X start, but you can slow it down further by setting development to barbarian or even undeveloped. The options are accurately labeled on the setup page.

Cool thanks. The historical map may be fun after I know what I’m doing, but I do like that slow build up.

Seeing the activity on this thread pop back up last couple of days reminded me I need to go ahead and buy this one (sale or not), so picked it up yesterday and now it’s time to fire up the tutorial and see what’s what.

Suspect initially I may clutter this tread with really dumb questions. So bare with me. I’d hit up the steam forum too but there doesn’t appear to be much activity there.

Watching a bit of one of DasTactic’s Let’s Plays will cut the learning curve substantially. Although he probably builds too many units too quickly.